grim22

90th Annual Academy Awards | Live Discussion Thread | Ceremony starts now

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Looking at prior years, and I have literally no idea what Philomena is. It was just 5 years ago but I literally have no recollection of such a movie existing, let alone being nominated for Best Picture.

All I remember from that movie was the Big Momma's House joke they used in all of the commercials for the film.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

That might be the worst movie nominated for BP this decade (yes, even worse than Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close). Good acting, lame as hell execution of an interesting story. Only Harvey (back when he had clout) could've sold people on that nonsense.

How ELIC managed to get a BP nomination will remain a great mystery. The critics absolutely hated it.

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Looking at prior years, and I have literally no idea what Philomena is. It was just 5 years ago but I literally have no recollection of such a movie existing, let alone being nominated for Best Picture.

You should watch A TRIP TO SPAIN just to watch Steve Coogan endlessly pimp himself as "an Oscar-nominated writer".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

How ELIC managed to get a BP nomination will remain a great mystery. The critics absolutely hated it.

How The Reader made it over The Dark Knight is even worse. If Daldry ever makes a legitimately good movie, expect it to be nominated for 16+ oscars and win them all (something Wicked this way comes?). 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

How The Reader made it over The Dark Knight is even worse. If Daldry ever makes a legitimately good movie, expect it to be nominated for 16+ oscars and win them all (something Wicked this way comes?). 

He made two (Billy Elliot and The Hours). Most of the hate he gets is directly related to the other two movies.

• Like 2

Just now, filmlover said:

He made two (Billy Elliot and The Hours). Most of the hate he gets is directly related to the other two movies.

Never seen Billy Elliot admittedly, but The Hours is just The Reader part 1: some good performances carrying an extremely mediocre film. 

7 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Does the Shape of Water involve magic?

The fish creature seems based on biological concepts only.

The creature is a river god with abilities that can only be called magical (healing powers, creating, etc). It is 100% fantasy, hence why the director himself called out the fantasy genre during the acceptance of it for Best Picture. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1