grim22

90th Annual Academy Awards | Live Discussion Thread | Ceremony starts now

38 minutes ago, filmlover said:

He made two (Billy Elliot and The Hours). Most of the hate he gets is directly related to the other two movies.

Eh, I'd say The Hours is only a third good. Julianne Moore's story was the only one I found immensely compelling, and the other two were kind of...there. Of course I haven't seen the movie in years, so maybe my opinion will change on a rewatch.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

Forgot to mention this Kumail Nanjiani bit from that montage that might've been the best thing said all night:  “Some of my favorite movies are by straight white dudes, about straight white dudes. Now you can watch my movies and relate to me. It’s not that hard. I’ve been doing it my whole life.”

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Considering that the last 5 best director winner are named Lee, Cuarón, Iñárritu, Chazelle, Del Toro a bit of a strange hang up..... specially in the context of being an obvious call back to Portman.

And even thought black director are under represented in studio movies, I am not sure it is the case for black male director, about 5.5% of the studio movies are made by black male vs around 6-6.5% of the US population and a smaller percentage of the studio director talent pool (Canada, Europe, Mexico, Asia) it is black female that are under represented behind the camera.

Edited by Barnack

And even thought black director are under represented in studio movies, I am not sure it is the case for black male director, about 5.5% of the studio movies are made by black male vs around 6-6.5% of the US population and a smaller percentage of the studio director talent pool (Canada, Europe, Mexico, Asia) it is black female that are under represented behind the camera.

What's the percentage for female directors (all races) made studio movies?

Edited by Mojoguy

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

But then Black Panther will be a strong contender next year, no? :thinking: 

Honestly, it should have swapped release dates with Three Billboards. There were too many options over late December/early January. The wide interest was there as evident by how well it expanded after nominations.

The fact that people think Black Panther will be a major awards contender next year tells me most people can't tell the difference between a good movie and a great one. It'll get lots of tech nominations but it won't factor into the big categories at all. 

13 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Considering that the last 5 best director winner are named Lee, Cuarón, Iñárritu, Chazelle, Del Toro a bit of a strange hang up..... specially in the context of being an obvious call back to Portman.

And even thought black director are under represented in studio movies, I am not sure it is the case for black male director, about 5.5% of the studio movies are made by black male vs around 6-6.5% of the US population and a smaller percentage of the studio director talent pool (Canada, Europe, Mexico, Asia) it is black female that are under represented behind the camera.

You missed her point. Her point is that a white woman casually dismissed POC filmmakers while praising a white person (regardless of gender) and the fact said woman had her own whitewashing casting snafu years back is extra salt on the matter. 

Just now, tonytr87 said:

The fact that people think Black Panther will be a major awards contender next year tells me most people can't tell the difference between a good movie and a great one. It'll get lots of tech nominations but it won't factor into the big categories at all. 

I think Jordan could get in for Supporting Actor. I mean he’s certainly a villain who captured people’s imagination.

(in a fair world if this happened, so would Wright for Supporting Actress.)

5 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

What's the percentage for female (all races) directors made studio movies?

http://assets.uscannenberg.org/docs/inclusion-in-the-directors-chair-2007-2017.pdf

Around 4% for studio / big movies, vs a bit over 50% of the adult population. There is more black male director (around 6-6.5% of the US population, I would imagine less than 3% of the director talent pool) than female all races (50% of the population) director for studio output.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

We often see black male directors at the Oscars, seeing female directors is like seeing unicorns....

I wouldn't say "often". :thinking: (Though in recent years they're starting to be more of a presence.)

Edited by Telehilation

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

We often see black male directors at the Oscars, seeing female directors is like seeing unicorns....

Umm, how many black directors have won Best Director? Zero.

Women Directors? One.

6 minutes ago, B D Joe said:

Wonder Woman didn't get any nominations, why would Black Panther be any different.

We live in a world where SUICIDE SQUAD got a nom and won. It’s not exactly impossible.

plus BP seems like a front runner for Costume Design...