grim22

90th Annual Academy Awards | Live Discussion Thread | Ceremony starts now

28 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

He's not a beast.  He's a River God and a fully sentient being who happens to have consensual sex with a woman who

Hide contents

was found on the side of a river as an infant and happens to have gills.  How do people miss this?

It's a Fairy tale.  It's fantasy.  Like Beauty & The Beast and The Little Mermaid.

Uh no thats left for interpretation. Lets not assume she was a river god too.

This was a great year. Each of main contenders: Get Out, Three Billboards, Lady Bird, The Shape of Water, Dunkirk deserves to win.

Many good thigs happened:

- Deakens finally has got an Oscar

- Three Amigos with statuetes

- Jordan Peele, Sam Rockwell triumph.

Great year, great results.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

The creature is a river god with abilities that can only be called magical (healing powers, creating, etc). It is 100% fantasy, hence why the director himself called out the fantasy genre during the acceptance of it for Best Picture. 

Is this the new "Gravity is science fiction/Gravity is a survival thriller set in space!" of 2018?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Is it only me to think that morgot robbit is super beautiful?? I didn't realise she was that beautiful in suicide squad!!! 

and the SOW is the highest grossing of BP winner since Argo

Who is Morgot Robbit? I only know of a Margot Robbie (and yes, the world has known she is extremely beautiful since The Wolf of Wall Street over four years ago).

Wow this is like the first time I forgot the Oscars were even on, no one I knew even was talking about it, unlike years past. 

Great for the winners but it is something that The buzz and influence the Oscars are a shadow of even 10 years ago. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Wow this is like the first time I forgot the Oscars were even on, no one I knew even was talking about it, unlike years past. 

Great for the winners but it is something that The buzz and influence the Oscars are a shadow of even 10 years ago. 

yes, exactly, look at how major studio keep releasing cash-grab, enjoyable yet secretly awful film at the 1st place, you will know why oscar can't keep up the pace of declining in blockbuster's quality.

Remember The Lord of the Rings? Green Mile? Saving private ryan? or Gladiator? These films that appeal to general audience but awesomely made, seem gone....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I wonder if viewing figures were down again?

Anyone know what the most viewed one was? When did they 'peak' so to speak. 

I do think that a lot of the humor really fell flat last night, though. That visit to the nearby movie theater bit felt especially forced and unnecessary. It feels like year after year they keep trying to top the "pizza" bit from when Ellen hosted four years ago and aren't succeeding.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

I wonder if viewing figures were down again?

Anyone know what the most viewed one was? When did they 'peak' so to speak. 

Of course, is the year of titanic, record breaking number of nomination and wining, 57.25m viewership, since then, the oscar is even having the problem with 40m viewer, the recent high was 86th oscar, when gravity and 12 years a slave won big, about 43m. Just in 3 years, oscar loss nearly 10m audiences.....to 33m

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I do think that a lot of the humor really fell flat last night, though. That visit to the nearby movie theater bit felt especially forced and unnecessary. It feels like year after year they keep trying to top the "pizza" bit from when Ellen hosted four years ago and aren't succeeding.

This opening alone has the laugh from the entire last night's oscar

Edited by titanic2187

7 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Of course, is the year of titanic, record breaking number of nomination and wining, 57.25m viewership, since then, the oscar is even having the problem with 40m viewer, the recent high was 86th oscar, when gravity and 12 years a slave won big, about 43m. Just in 3 years, oscar loss nearly 10m audiences.....to 33m

Jim #1... yet again. 

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

He's not a beast.  He's a River God and a fully sentient being who happens to have consensual sex with a woman who

Reveal hidden contents

It's a Fairy tale.  It's fantasy.  Like Beauty & The Beast and The Little Mermaid.

Huh? Did I miss something? Found in a river as an infant? Has gills? What on earth are you talking about.

Dude gives her gills at the end of the movie so they can live together. Thats it right?

3 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

Huh? Did I miss something? 

Reveal hidden contents

Evidently. The scars on her neck are practically the first thing we see of her. And her backstory is plainly told.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

yes, exactly, look at how major studio keep releasing cash-grab, enjoyable yet secretly awful film at the 1st place, you will know why oscar can't keep up the pace of declining in blockbuster's quality.

Remember The Lord of the Rings? Green Mile? Saving private ryan? or Gladiator? These films that appeal to general audience but awesomely made, seem gone....

Based on my circles the only best picture they likely have all seen is Argo, 12 Years a Slave and The King Speech.

After those years, seems Oscars have really started to lose the pull dramatically with my family and friends personally. I have not even bothered to watch even half the nominees in the past few years. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

didn't watch last night but just read the winners list this morning.  Nothing too surprising to me.  In reading some of the reviews of the show on here and other sites, doesn't sound like I missed anything

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not only flat but annoying.  Every year the host complains about length - mostly taking shots at speeches - and every year they shove in all these time wasting bits that cause people to be rushed and embarrassingly played off by the orchestra.  

Edited by TalismanRing

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Not only flat but annoying.  Every year the host complains about length - mostly taking shots at speeches - and every year they shove in all these time wasting bits that cause people to be rushed and embarrassingly played off by the orchestra.  

Cause #Ratings, I guess. They usually do things like that (such as that obvious NRA pandering war movie tribute last night) all in a desperate bid to be all things for all people. Remember when they got all of the Avengers minus Scarlett (who was on stage at the time) to present a category five years ago in a really desperate attempt to get more men to watch the Oscars?

Edited by filmlover