The Panda

BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time: 2018 Edition - DEADLINE IS TODAY! SEND A LIST!

Great list and blurbs @ShouldIBeHere.  I don't have Green Mile, Revolutionary Road or Wild (to name a few) on my list, but all three of these are simply terrific imo.  I'm glad you mentioned RR.  It's definitely a film that kind of blew me away when first seeing it.  It's also cool that Kathy Bates was in it as well,to complete the Titanic trifecta.

• Like 1

My next 10 and why they are on my list:

71. It Follows:  A horror movie that follows in the footprint of films like Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street.  Atmospheric and scary and a breakout performance from Maika Monroe.

72. Fight Club:  Another brilliant film from 1999.  Ed Norton and Brad Pitt give incredibly effective performances and it has a lot to say about pretty much everything that is wrong with human beings.  

73. Instinct:  A movie that spoke to me in ways that no other animal rights film had up to this point in my life.  Anthony Hopkins is terrific but the script from Gerald Di Pego is sheer brilliance. 

74. Basic Instinct:  The sexiest film ever made, the song Blue by La Tour is the sexiest song ever made and Douglas and Stone light it up.  Should have won best picture in 1992 and same with Stone and best actress.

75. The Fugitive:  This movie can't be 25 years old, it just can't.  Tommy Lee Jones has never been better and director Andrew Davis gets every ounce of kinetic energy from every person in the film.  It's not just Jones and Ford that are great, it's everyone else right down to the small players like the guy who played Copeland.  The Fugitive might have won best picture if it came out in a year when the academy just simply couldn't snub Spielberg any longer. 

76. The Prophecy:  There was no better performance by a male actor in 1995 than Christopher Walken had in the Prophecy.  It's a movie about angels at war with God and it's a little confusing at times, but blessed with a terrific cast that includes Viggo Mortensen as Lucifer, this film is one that should be seen by all.  A true hidden gem. 

77. Apocalypse Now:  I thought this was long and boring when I saw it at the age of 12.  Then I thought it was moving, engaging and thoughtful when I saw it at the age of 16.  Now I just think it's a brilliant expose concerning the madness of war.  

78.  Tequila Sunrise:  Great peformances by everyone involved but an even better script by the great Robert Towne.  Drug dealers, a restaurant owner caught in the middle and Kurt Russell doing his best Pat Riley impersonation.

79. When Harry Met Sally:  The best Woody Allen film that Woody had nothing to do with.  Nora Ephron should have won for best original screenplay in 1999 (even though I can admit that Dead Poet's Society was terrific as well).  Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan might sound like an odd pairing, but they simply light up the screen.

80. Indian Summer:  This might be my favourite cast ever assembled.  It's also a sweet and tender film about facing our past, reliving it and then facing the fact that we have grown up and things will never be the same.  I'm someone who loves my childhood, loves my past and sometimes I've been accused of holding on to memories for far too long.  I guess that's why Indian Summer appeals to me so much.  

• Like 8

2 hours ago, baumer said:

My next 10 and why they are on my list:

71. It Follows:  A horror movie that follows in the footprint of films like Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street.  Atmospheric and scary and a breakout performance from Maika Monroe.

72. Fight Club:  Another brilliant film from 1999.  Ed Norton and Brad Pitt give incredibly effective performances and it has a lot to say about pretty much everything that is wrong with human beings.  

73. Instinct:  A movie that spoke to me in ways that no other animal rights film had up to this point in my life.  Anthony Hopkins is terrific but the script from Gerald Di Pego is sheer brilliance. 

74. Basic Instinct:  The sexiest film ever made, the song Blue by La Tour is the sexiest song ever made and Douglas and Stone light it up.  Should have won best picture in 1992 and same with Stone and best actress.

75. The Fugitive:  This movie can't be 25 years old, it just can't.  Tommy Lee Jones has never been better and director Andrew Davis gets every ounce of kinetic energy from every person in the film.  It's not just Jones and Ford that are great, it's everyone else right down to the small players like the guy who played Copeland.  The Fugitive might have won best picture if it came out in a year when the academy just simply couldn't snub Spielberg any longer. 

76. The Prophecy:  There was no better performance by a male actor in 1995 than Christopher Walken had in the Prophecy.  It's a movie about angels at war with God and it's a little confusing at times, but blessed with a terrific cast that includes Viggo Mortensen as Lucifer, this film is one that should be seen by all.  A true hidden gem. 

77. Apocalypse Now:  I thought this was long and boring when I saw it at the age of 12.  Then I thought it was moving, engaging and thoughtful when I saw it at the age of 16.  Now I just think it's a brilliant expose concerning the madness of war.  

78.  Tequila Sunrise:  Great peformances by everyone involved but an even better script by the great Robert Towne.  Drug dealers, a restaurant owner caught in the middle and Kurt Russell doing his best Pat Riley impersonation.

79. When Harry Met Sally:  The best Woody Allen film that Woody had nothing to do with.  Nora Ephron should have won for best original screenplay in 1999 (even though I can admit that Dead Poet's Society was terrific as well).  Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan might sound like an odd pairing, but they simply light up the screen.

80. Indian Summer:  This might be my favourite cast ever assembled.  It's also a sweet and tender film about facing our past, reliving it and then facing the fact that we have grown up and things will never be the same.  I'm someone who loves my childhood, loves my past and sometimes I've been accused of holding on to memories for far too long.  I guess that's why Indian Summer appeals to me so much.  

I'm counting on TFIOS showing up here at some point B

• Astonished 1

@ShouldIBeHere Titanic, Jaws, Halloween, are you related to baumer by any chance?  :qotd:

nice list, thanks for the mention but baumer did start the blurbs, I was simply doing my part 

So many people with Fellowship at #1

I have a feeling this movie will age like fine wine even more than it already does. Of the 3 it uses the less CGI, and is the most focused one in its story, at least I think.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daxtreme said:

I watched The Manchurian Candidate because of Captain America: Civil War

Sue me :hahaha:

The original or remake?  The later which is good but the original is great.

• Like 1

Gonna start doing some write-ups for my favorite movies. Gonna do 1-20 today then 21-40 tomorrow or Friday.

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - I will forever be grateful to my dad for introducing me to this film series and the books that inspired it. It’s easily my favorite movie of all time. It has all the things I crave for in a movie: Amazing action, great characters, world-building, kinetic cinematography, kick-ass music, etc. When I think of the classic Good vs Evil story, this is the series I always go to. To me, the trilogy as a whole is my favorite film but if I was forced to pick one it would be Fellowship. Out of the three, it is the most streamlined without many side plots getting in the way of the main storyline. It’s perfectly paced and just perfectly executed

I can't think of another film or film series that inspired me as much as this trilogy.  

2. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial - Every time I view this film, it always feels like I’m watching it for the first time again. Spielberg is so great at speaking to the inner-child in all of us and it so effectively tugs at your heartstrings. Everytime, I always manage to get a little teary-eyed at the end.

3. Goodfellas - Everything on display in this film is first-rate filmmaking. Scorsese captures both the brutal reality of mobster world but also injects his signature style and energy into every minute of its 2 and a half hour running time. A classic through and through.

4. Whiplash - A brutal film to sit through. Fletcher is an amazing villain but you just feel so bad for Andrew who takes the front of Fletcher’s brutal control. The climax is probably my favorite in any film. It's easily the most satisfying ending after 90 minutes of pure struggle.

5. A Clockwork Orange - Cold. Shocking. Disturbing. Violent. Disgusting. Humorous. Brilliant. There are just too many adjectives to describe this film.

6. Requiem for a Dream - A devastating sit that will forever stick with me for many years to come. You genuinely feel for the four main characters and by the time the devastating climax arrives, it feels like you’ve been stabbed in the heart a thousand times over. Brilliant and tragic.

7. The Dark Knight - A complex superhero movie with deep themes and a story that goes above and beyond being traditional comic book movie. Batman is one of my favorite heroes and this film will probably forever remain the character’s magnum-opus.

8. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - A perfect ending to a perfect trilogy. The long ending doesn’t bother me like it does for a lot of other people. It's a long, epic movie with a lot of characters that need a fitting conclusion to their individual story arcs and it definitely succeeds in those remarks.

9. 12 Angry Men - An absorbing drama that draws you in and never lets you go within its confined, one-room setting.

10. To Kill a Mockingbird - A perfect companion piece to the novel its based on. Atticus Finch’s final courtroom speech gives me the chills everytime I hear it.

11. Bambi - Roger Ebert’s quote on the back of the 1989 VHS copy of this movie has always been a quote that I’ve held true to me.

“...A perennial classic, seen by every generation, remembered long after other movies have been forgotten.”

It’s always tough for me to explain why this is my favorite Disney movie. For me, it's the perfect coming-of-age story disguised as an animated kids film. It has its cute moments that are mainly aimed at kids, sure, but it's never afraid to go dark when it needs to. It may not have a traditional plot like most movies do but that’s not the point. Sometimes, it's so much more interesting to see just to see the life of someone unfold than having a typical three-act structure tell it for you. The story of Bambi is timeless and will forever remain with me, long after other movies have faded from my memory.

12. Mad Max: Fury Road - A two-hour adrenaline rush of pure awesomeness. This movie just kicks so much ass. One of the best action movies I’ve ever seen. Fuck yeah!

13. The Social Network -  Aaron Sorkin + David Fincher = Godlike Brilliance. Also, Andrew Garfield was fucking snubbed for Best Supporting Actor. Fix yourself Academy!

14. The Incredibles - A perfect family film and a perfect superhero movie. Pixar was definitely a god amongst movie studios in the 2000s. Probably the most quotable film I’ve ever seen.

15. The Shining - Stanley Kubrick was born to make a horror movie and this one is my absolute favorite of the entire genre. Chilling, riveting, and unforgettable. I can’t speak for how faithful it is to the book having not read it. I could care less. Faithful to its source material or not, Kubrick definitely made this his own.

16. Ed Wood - Inspiring for all the right reasons. Tim Burton has always been a favorite of mine. Even if his track record isn’t perfect, his early films have definitely struck my imagination in so many ways. Ed Wood is easily his best. Edward D. Wood, Jr. is an inspiring figure in many ways. Even though his films were completely horrible and most put him down for it, he still kept his creative passion for each failure. It’s a very inspiring message for anyone going into the creative arts or any profession for that matter.

17. Back to the Future - The perfect feel-good movie. It’s funny, inventive, clever, and downright entertaining from start to finish.

18. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - The focus on the different plotlines can be a little uneven but its still an enthralling entry in the best film trilogy ever made. The helms deep battle sequence is so fucking awesome, it amazes me everytime I watch it.

19. Stand by Me - One of the most relatable coming-of-age story I've ever seen. Everyone knows someone like the kids in this film and it just speaks to how much Stephen King understands childhood.

20. Inception - A blockbuster that actually entertains and intellectually challenges viewers at the same time? What a unique idea! In all seriousness, this is one of the most ambitious films ever made. It blew my mind away when I was 10 years old and it still does now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2