Taylor

Weekend Estimates (Deadline) The Lorax - 70M+

Let's not neglect Project X, it did solid as well, not spectacular of course but given the low budget, it will earn enough for the studio

It's done great. I was just looking at movies with similar OWs and it's crazy how this, no stars and questionable concept, can open to nearly the same as Contagion with Damon, Winslet, Soderbergh etc.

I'll just add my voice to the chorus of WHAAAAAAT!!!The Lorax, I mean THE LORAX!!!!That is not even that famous of a Dr.Seuss character. It'd be like, like, an Ant-Man movie or Martian Manhunter movie opening huge. They aren't unknown but they aren't that wildly known or popular amongst even their peer characters.I get the lack of a solid animated kids part of the analysis but it still doesn't explain this.Edit: That's it all bets, ALL BETS are off for The Hunger Games and The Avengers.

The book is super popular. The movie is not particularly the same but the kids know the characters. Plus it seems to be a whole lot of fun. LOL This has turned into the Twilight for Toddlers. I said this was a movie for little kids that are too young to be in the theater alone. Parents have to take them. That means a lot of tickets sold.

I'll just add my voice to the chorus of WHAAAAAAT!!!The Lorax, I mean THE LORAX!!!!That is not even that famous of a Dr.Seuss character. It'd be like, like, an Ant-Man movie or Martian Manhunter movie opening huge. They aren't unknown but they aren't that wildly known or popular amongst even their peer characters.I get the lack of a solid animated kids part of the analysis but it still doesn't explain this.Edit: That's it all bets, ALL BETS are off for The Hunger Games and The Avengers.

All bets are off for all movies not just those two.I am absolutly stunned I was expecting 50m at most.

Maybe we should analyze the animation landscape. People were clearly on a high with Dragon, Toy Story 3, Despicable Me and Tangled being great movies and grossing massive amount (Shrek too, but attendance was embarrassing) in 2010. It seemed to be more popular than ever before.What happened next?We had Rango open, people thought it was disappointing at the time, but really, it was weird, awkward and the movie itself was not exactly up the ballpark for families, which was raised before it opened and people were high on Depp and Verbinski.Then Mars Needs Moms bombed to spectacular results, sure it was weird, but perhaps after what people began to expect they decided it wasn't enough. Plus it recalled of movies like Planet 51 and stop motion has never been friendly outside of Polar Express.Hop opened and outdid itself but it was also based on the Easter holiday and was part live action, plus its legs were downright terrible.Blue Sky's Rio was next up and though that did OK and expected, some people were again expecting more. But the only precedent for that was the year before, most average output land around the same total as Rio, attendance however paints a different picture, but then it does for most movies.The conundrum that is KFP2 then spluttered and puffed its way to one of the worst attended Dreamworks movies ever. I still don't know how to explain it, DVD sales were great and all. Maybe, as people have pointed out, its marketing wasn't effective in showing why people should return. The story itself was lacking compared to the first to explain its ho-hum legs.Then Pixar came out with Cars 2 which opened decent enough but crashed. I think, this proved more than anything that Pixar's fanbase is big and they expect a certain quality and therefore them being absent leaving only families showed. Legs were awful but everyone beforehand, or rather audiences were turned off. Plus, the last they got was Toy Story 3, would they really settle for Cars 2?There's the Smurfs which sort of overperformed, but it was in the Alvin vein and those movies do have a cap of audience plus it was based on pre-existing material and also sucked.Gonna run through the rest; PiB-> Continued the public rejection of the Shrek franchise, lowest OW for DA in forever, WOM held up but then competition massacred it, HF2-> Still see its performance as expected. No one asked for it, and marketing was even worse, looked like a carbon copy of the first, AC-> Aardman has never been popular, still I didn't think that it would even affect normal Xmas legs, Tintin-> Not popular in the States, mo-capSO, could it be that the Lorax is the first movie which really appealed to the public since Tangled? It's the only to give a reason for people to see it as something more than average (Rio), stale (Puss, Happy Feet, Cars) or incomprehensible (MNM, Tintin). Hindsight analysis here. I am expecting great legs through reasons explained in my club and some of my reasons there explain OW, but not to this extent. Will repost there.

• Like 2

Maybe we should analyze the animation landscape. People were clearly on a high with Dragon, Toy Story 3, Despicable Me and Tangled being great movies and grossing massive amount (Shrek too, but attendance was embarrassing) in 2010. It seemed to be more popular than ever before.What happened next?We had Rango open, people thought it was disappointing at the time, but really, it was weird, awkward and the movie itself was not exactly up the ballpark for families, which was raised before it opened and people were high on Depp and Verbinski.Then Mars Needs Moms bombed to spectacular results, sure it was weird, but perhaps after what people began to expect they decided it wasn't enough. Plus it recalled of movies like Planet 51 and stop motion has never been friendly outside of Polar Express.Hop opened and outdid itself but it was also based on the Easter holiday and was part live action, plus its legs were downright terrible.Blue Sky's Rio was next up and though that did OK and expected, some people were again expecting more. But the only precedent for that was the year before, most average output land around the same total as Rio, attendance however paints a different picture, but then it does for most movies.The conundrum that is KFP2 then spluttered and puffed its way to one of the worst attended Dreamworks movies ever. I still don't know how to explain it, DVD sales were great and all. Maybe, as people have pointed out, its marketing wasn't effective in showing why people should return. The story itself was lacking compared to the first to explain its ho-hum legs.Then Pixar came out with Cars 2 which opened decent enough but crashed. I think, this proved more than anything that Pixar's fanbase is big and they expect a certain quality and therefore them being absent leaving only families showed. Legs were awful but everyone beforehand, or rather audiences were turned off. Plus, the last they got was Toy Story 3, would they really settle for Cars 2?There's the Smurfs which sort of overperformed, but it was in the Alvin vein and those movies do have a cap of audience plus it was based on pre-existing material and also sucked.Gonna run through the rest; PiB-> Continued the public rejection of the Shrek franchise, lowest OW for DA in forever, WOM held up but then competition massacred it, HF2-> Still see its performance as expected. No one asked for it, and marketing was even worse, looked like a carbon copy of the first, AC-> Aardman has never been popular, still I didn't think that it would even affect normal Xmas legs, Tintin-> Not popular in the States, mo-capSO, could it be that the Lorax is the first movie which really appealed to the public since Tangled? It's the only to give a reason for people to see it as something more than average (Rio), stale (Puss, Happy Feet, Cars) or incomprehensible (MNM, Tintin). Hindsight analysis here. I am expecting great legs through reasons explained in my club and some of my reasons there explain OW, but not to this extent. Will repost there.

Good post!The Smurfs was AWFUL, I still wonder how it made 590 Mil WW. Worst movie of 2011.