Taylor

Weekend Estimates (Deadline) The Lorax - 70M+

I'll just add my voice to the chorus of WHAAAAAAT!!!The Lorax, I mean THE LORAX!!!!That is not even that famous of a Dr.Seuss character. It'd be like, like, an Ant-Man movie or Martian Manhunter movie opening huge. They aren't unknown but they aren't that wildly known or popular amongst even their peer characters.I get the lack of a solid animated kids part of the analysis but it still doesn't explain this.Edit: That's it all bets, ALL BETS are off for The Hunger Games and The Avengers.

Edited by Captain Craig

The Lorax is huge, no doubt. But has anyone mentioned the possibility that 10-15mil of its OW could be due to teen sneak-ins for Project X?

No. That's ridiculous. People have overestimated the sneak-in effect for years now, but even if present, it's not going to add $15m to a movie's gross.
  • Like 2

But how will we ever know?

Some people, more knowledgeable than I am, spoke about this back on BOM, people who work at theatres and etc. Also evidence in previous movie grosses and such.And also, not sure the showtimes and such, but the Lorax is showing in 3D mostly isn't it? Teens aren't going to spend more money than they need to. Whatever it is, the conclusion has been agreed upon. Plus, despite the resurgence, teens are still underrepresented so to think that nearly 2m of them snuck in over this weekend is absurd. The math doesn't make sense.

Sneak in factors is really different depending on the circumstances.Where I work, the sessions are often worked out so they can't really sneak in (location and timing), however if there is too many new films then it often can't be done and we have a lot of people who try and sneak in who we catch. How many more actually sneak through and we don't know is anyone's guess. But I know many people before they were 15 that did sneak in.I'd say it depends on the film also, Project X is definitely the perfect candidate, and may have adding $1-$5m to The Lorax's total :)