Finnick

Weekend thread | Deadline Friday Est. (p.11) ~ PR:U 10.1M, BP 4.4M, ICOI 3.7M, TR 2.8M, SG 2.7M, AWIT 2.1M, L,S 2.3M, P,AOC 1.5M, MS 1.45M, GN 1.2M, U 1.3M

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Kind of for Tim Allen tbh. Why else did his made for TV caliber stuff like the first two Santa Clause movies, Galaxy Quest, Jungle 2 Jungle, and Christmas With the Kranks make that much in the late 90's/early 00's? All are 100-300m adjusted grossers. 

wow, I actually had no idea those movies were that successful. thought it was just the santa claus ones.

Edited by November Treejax
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Kind of for Tim Allen tbh. Why else did his made for TV caliber stuff like the first two Santa Clause movies, Galaxy Quest, Jungle 2 Jungle, and Christmas With the Kranks make that much in the late 90's/early 00's? All are 100-300m adjusted grossers. 

The first Santa Clause and Galaxy Quest aint made for TV caliber, fam

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The first Santa Clause and Galaxy Quest aint made for TV caliber, fam

Well fair point for Galaxy Quest at least. The Santa Clause...eh...if I put the nostalgia goggles on I suppose it's fine, but otherwise it ain't exactly quality filmmaking...

2 minutes ago, YLF said:

I just saw BP again for the millionth time and the theater was completely full besides a few seats in the very front. thats incredible for a 6th weekend wow

More incredible or less incredible than Greatest Showman selling out screens in weekend number 13 today?

20 minutes ago, November Treejax said:

Have you had any customers who've told you how crap it is?

I feel so alone in my dislike of it.

Yeah, your dislike of it is very uncommon, provided you have seen it. Most of the people watching LS are reacting positively to the emotions it elicits, much like this girl:

The movie is not raking in big bucks but a sizable share of its audience has seen it at least twice. It doesn't take long to read through the hashtag to find people who have seen it multiple times. I've seen tweets from three people who have seen it at least eight times. 

4 minutes ago, November Treejax said:

More incredible or less incredible than Greatest Showman selling out screens in weekend number 13 today?

Well I didnt know that... that movie isnt playing anymore in any theaters near me. 

1 minute ago, LonePirate said:

Yeah, your dislike of it is very uncommon, provided you have seen it. Most of the people watching LS are reacting positively to the emotions it elicits, much like this girl:

The movie is not raking in big bucks but a sizable share of its audience has seen it at least twice. It doesn't take long to read through the hashtag to find people who have seen it multiple times. I've seen tweets from three people who have seen it at least eight times. 

well it's not out here in the UK yet for a few weeks so hopefully I will find other people who also dislike it, it's a very lonely feeling ya know.

I'm aware that most people have loved it but that is part of why I dislike it so much, because it's sad that this low quality level of filmmaking is enough to capture the emotions and hearts of teenagers nowadays. people should demand better from this type of film. but because they haven't seen any other teen movies they think this is some sort of miracle movie.

they deserve better.

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, YLF said:

Well I didnt know that... that movie isnt playing anymore in any theaters near me. 

I didn't mean anything against you sorry. I just like talking about it, because I think its box office run here is extraordinary and it's something I've never seen before. It has been so ridiculously successful. It's made £40M here which is roughly equivalent to $400M in the US. It's just overtaken Jumanji and has plenty more left in the tank!

5 minutes ago, November Treejax said:

well it's not out here in the UK yet for a few weeks so hopefully I will find other people who also dislike it, it's a very lonely feeling ya know.

I'm aware that most people have loved it but that is part of why I dislike it so much, because it's sad that this low quality level of filmmaking is enough to capture the emotions and hearts of teenagers nowadays. people should demand better from this type of film. but because they haven't seen any other teen movies they think this is some sort of miracle movie.

they deserve better.

You obviously don't know any adults who have seen it as they are reacting just as strongly as the teens you're criticizing. The film's ability to generate such strong emotions from such a wide range of moviegoers in age, ethnicity, geography, culture and class speaks to its high quality of film making, even if you disagree.

1 minute ago, LonePirate said:

You obviously don't know any adults who have seen it as they are reacting just as strongly as the teens you're criticizing. The film's ability to generate such strong emotions from such a wide range of moviegoers in age, ethnicity, geography, culture and class speaks to its high quality of film making, even if you disagree.

its 5.30am and I cant really be bothered to continue this discussion sorry, i do wonder what you mean by "wide range of geography and culture" though given that the movie is only out in the USA

1 minute ago, November Treejax said:

its 5.30am and I cant really be bothered to continue this discussion sorry, i do wonder what you mean by "wide range of geography and culture" though given that the movie is only out in the USA

You obviously are not aware of the massive geographical and cultural differences that exist in the US, the most diverse nation on the planet.

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

13 hours ago, LonePirate said:

the massive geographical and cultural differences that exist in the US, the most diverse nation on the planet

I would suspect they are middle in the pack, the cultural output of the US is so strong outside of it, the common cultural element inside of it must also be, the percentage of people speaking the same language, religions distribution, sports played, etc...

Countries like India have quite the diverse population in different regions (just half speak Indie I think):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_India

And Islam is getting big, they have large divide in their cinema industry for different regions.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2013/07/18/the-most-and-least-culturally-diverse-countries-in-the-world/

FT_Diversity_Map.png

Apparently the most diverse country culturally tend to be in Africa (I imagine partly because some of those frontier were drawn quite arbitrarily)

The fact that almost all ticket sold in America for that movie were probably in the same language is a good first clue (that would be rare in many country for that to happen, just look at Canada above, we have movie that play only in the French part and vice-versa).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, November Treejax said:

Have you had any customers who've told you how crap it is?

I feel so alone in my dislike of it.

No, I've had people comment about how 'I aint gonna see that POS cause I aint no homo' but nothing bad from anyone who's seen it 

Black Panther had so much potential, trailers looked good, great cast and director, great producer, reviews were ok.

Force Awakens was always the goal.

Sadly, it will only be on par with the top 3 adjusted superhero movies ever.

:sadno::sadno:

#Justice_For_Wakanda

Edited by The Futurist
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Black Panther had so much potential, trailers looked good, great cast and director, great producer, reviews were ok.

#Justice_For_Wakanda

Ah well, win some, lose some. At least Disney has A Wrinkle in Time. 

56 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

#Justice_For_Wakanda

If only they could have done more. I don't know how anyone associated with this film sleeps at night following such an underachievement.

1 minute ago, La Binoche said:

Now that the dust has settled, did people genuinely LOVE BP or did they get swept up by the hype and by Marvel's workmanlike efficiency in making and promoting the movie?

I'm sure some people genuinely loved it. I'm also sure in a few years many who love it now will lose their fervor on a revisit.

• Like 1