Dementeleus

Upgrade | Blumhouse | June 1, 2018 | TV Series sequel in the works

I didn't see a thread for this (which is surprising). 

Set in the near-future, technology controls nearly all aspects of life. But when Grey, a self-identified technophobe, has his world turned upside down, his only hope for revenge is an experimental computer chip implant called Stem.

The red-band trailer looks absolutely insane:

Edited by Trolltastic Tele
  • Like 6
  • Astonished 1

The fact that this is Blumhouse (albiet with BH Tilt instead of Universal) has me optimistic that this might be able to leg its way to a wider release. I mean, I think it might have a decent shot at some healthy counterprogramming. (I'm the kinda guy that's optimistic about many films getting eventual wide releasea, though).

I like what this trailer is selling. No way this makes a big dent in cinema, but I think this will make a killing on VOD. This looks like the type of low budget cult film material that will spawn a strong following for further off the radar sequels. See Tremors for further example.

On 03/04/2018 at 1:38 PM, Trolltastic Tele said:

I didn't see a thread for this (which is surprising). 

Set in the near-future, technology controls nearly all aspects of life. But when Grey, a self-identified technophobe, has his world turned upside down, his only hope for revenge is an experimental computer chip implant called Stem.

The red-band trailer looks absolutely insane:

Just shot to the top of my summer viewing list.  That's a damn effective trailer.  

• Like 3

BOM and thenumbers both have this going limited (opening June 1st).  Lowriders opened with 295 and expanded to 365 (+70), while Sleight opened in 565 and expanded to 591.  I would guess 600 locations for this BH tilt film.  Unless Bad Samaritan breaks out, AQP will have horror to itself until this weekend.  The next one has Hereditary opening wide. 

NEW IN THEATERS DISTRIBUTOR RELEASE
Action Point
Comedy
Paramount Wide
Adrift
Drama
STX Entertainment Wide
American Animals
Crime Drama
The Orchard  
Rodin
Drama
Cohen Media Group  
Upgrade
Thriller

BH Tilt

7 hours ago, Thematrixfilm said:

BOM and thenumbers both have this going limited (opening June 1st).  Lowriders opened with 295 and expanded to 365 (+70), while Sleight opened in 565 and expanded to 591.  I would guess 600 locations for this BH tilt film.  Unless Bad Samaritan breaks out, AQP will have horror to itself until this weekend.  The next one has Hereditary opening wide. 

NEW IN THEATERS DISTRIBUTOR RELEASE
Action Point
Comedy
Paramount Wide
Adrift
Drama
STX Entertainment Wide
American Animals
Crime Drama
The Orchard  
Rodin
Drama
Cohen Media Group  
Upgrade
Thriller

BH Tilt

It's either getting a similar TC as Belko Experiment (1,341) or 2k IMO. Given the lack of options, Blumhouse might be able to push this into a bit of theaters.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's either getting a similar TC as Belko Experiment (1,341) or 2k IMO. Given the lack of options, Blumhouse might be able to push this into a bit of theaters.

Oh, this'll definitely at least go semi-wide. No use in playing the trailer in front of films like A Quiet Place if they're just gonna deny those audiences the chance to see it.

• Haha 1

here are the 8 movies by BH tilt

If Upgrade can get to 1,700 theaters and average $3,000, then it will be the studios #1 opener over The Darkness (2016)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?yr=&view=company&view2=allmovies&studio=bhtilt.htm&sort=open&order=DESC&p=.htm

Row Rank Movie Title (click to view) Studio Total Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Open
1 4 Birth of the Dragon BH Tilt $6,901,965 1,633 $2,702,430 1,618 8/25/17
2 5 Lowriders BH Tilt $6,303,560 365 $2,403,885 295 5/12/17
3 7 Sleight BH Tilt $3,986,245 591 $1,701,785 565 4/28/17
4 2 The Belko Experiment BH Tilt $10,166,820 1,341 $4,137,230 1,341 3/17/17
5 8 The Resurrection of Gavin Stone BH Tilt $2,303,792 890 $1,206,771 890 1/20/17
6 6 Incarnate BH Tilt $4,799,774 1,737 $2,534,884 1,737 12/2/16
7 1 The Darkness BH Tilt $10,753,574 1,769 $4,950,859 1,755 5/13/16
8 3 The Green Inferno BH Tilt $7,192,291 1,543 $3,520,626 1,540 9/25/15
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Thematrixfilm said:

here are the 8 movies by BH tilt

If Upgrade can get to 1,700 theaters and average $3,000, then it will be the studios #1 opener over The Darkness (2016)

I do not think Upgrade can break out and open to the heights that The Darkness (2016) did, but if Upgrade doubles Sleight's 591 theater count, it might double Sleight's numbers.

Second trailer focuses more on the action, and it looks pretty damn awesome.  Again, I don't see how this becomes a breakout hit, but I can't wait to check it out as soon as it conveniently hits home video.

Edited by ThePhasmid