Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread | Estimates: AQP 50M, RP1 25M, CKBLK 21.4M, BP 8.4M,

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Somewhere between a disappointment and a flop. It underperformed domestically and was completely ignored all over the rest of the world (and will likely uphold a mediocre reputation, if not forgotten about, as a movie for the foreseeable future).

No no it’s a flop

no point  in sugarcoating it 

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

No no it’s a flop

no point  in sugarcoating it 

Again, making the budget back DOM goes a long way for a movie. True Disney flops/bombs like Alice 2, Lone Ranger, Mars Needs Moms, John Carter, and Tomorrowland made a mere fraction of their budgets DOM. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Again, making the budget back DOM goes a long way for a movie. True Disney flops/bombs like Alice 2, Lone Ranger, Mars Needs Moms, John Carter, and Tomorrowland made a mere fraction of their budgets DOM. 

I think this is complete opposite of what warcraft did. That OS total is straight up disaster for such a movie. Not even 1.5x of the budget, that's a flop.

1 minute ago, Premium George said:

I think this is complete opposite of what warcraft did. That OS total is straight up disaster for such a movie. Not even 1.5x of the budget, that's a flop.

Yes but DOM gross is what the studio gets the most of. I'm sure any studio would rather have a decent DOM performance/flop OS than the other way around. It's just typically the other way around that ends up happening in reality. That's why this whole TR sequel debate keeps getting brought up in spite of the great OS gross. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Yes but DOM gross is what the studio gets the most of. I'm sure any studio would rather have a decent DOM performance/flop OS than the other way around. It's just typically the other way around that ends up happening in reality. That's why this whole TR sequel debate keeps getting brought up in spite of the great OS gross. 

Of Course that's true. But it should at least made something OS. This is like than if Infinity war does $300m dom and $50m OS. That's a flop. If it did $200m dom than it would have been something. But it's dom is mediocre too.

If TR does 282 ww (3*94 prod budget) with,

58 dom + 80 china + 144 os-china, the theatrical revenue is

58*0.55+80*0.25+144*0.33 = 99.4

I think beating the prod budget with theatrical revenue is a win in itself. However what is the growth potential for the movie? Jolie's 2nd movie showed a big drop from the first one. Also, PRU shows one cannot take for granted that a sequel will grow in China due to the economic growth of the country.

Let's say OS for TR2 stays the same, some markets grow - some don't - some decline. Then for every dollar TR2 looses dom, it will have to make up in China by earning two more. And to assume that it will decline dom seems reasonable looking at the legs TR1 is showing. WB will have the onus of giving a much better sequel without increasing the budget much and that is tough. And they wouldn't want to do that just to barely break even again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Is it safe to assume TR2 would decrease DOM? The bar is already so low and you look at something like Resident Evil which set a similarly low bar DOM with abysmal legs but still increased for the sequel. I think the DOM performance is weak enough that there might be nowhere to go but up. So that puts it back in the ballpark of how profitable OS was for them and if a sequel would be equally profitable with a similar OS gross. 

• Thanks 1

I think where I part ways with some TR fans is when they say it was well received. It has shown no signs of being well received. It opened low, there is no reason that an actual well received Tomb Raider couldn't have had similar legs to say The Accountant and hit 80mil domestic. Game Night is another low opener that we know has been well received because of it's strong legs. Heck a John Wick style 2.9 multi would have been encouraging as well. Struggling to get a 2.5 multi after a super low opening is not what I call well received. As for overseas, I don't see the stellar word of mouth there either. At best the wom is okay and that's just not good enough. Don't get me wrong I think it's possible MGM and WB make a sequel but they would be smart to cut the budget a lot and get another director. Usually bringing back a director who disappointed the first time is not a good idea. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Usually bringing back a director who disappointed the first time is not a good idea. 

The DCEU has shown us that, for some reason, WB loves doing just that though.

2 minutes ago, Kraken said:

The DCEU has shown us that, for some reason, WB loves doing just that though.

Tomb Raider is not just a WB movie though. And WB has learned that lesson the hard way. It was obvious that WB had more skin in the game when it came to RPO, that was their big tentpole. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Didn't G.I Joe actually get a sequel? I mean, the budget was insanely high ( most of the sites say it's 175million ). It made 302 million worldwide.

I would assume it sold like crazy on dvd/blu-ray, BUT according to thenumbers.com, movie made 91 million on sales. Still not enough to get a sequel, I think. So, I don't now.

The sequel G.I Joe Retaliation didn't put the boxoffice on fire, though. There were talks about a sequel but it died.

I believe Tomb Raider should get a sequel, but they better stop putting cliffhangers like the one they got for the first movie. Just tell the story and get over with it.

34 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Jumanji WTTJ about to cross Spider-man DOM, but everyone is still talking about whether TR is getting a sequel or not. jjj-laugh.png

You're right, what we all should really be discussing is:

Will there be a Ready Player Two?

:qotd:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Jumanji WTTJ about to cross Spider-man DOM, but everyone is still talking about whether TR is getting a sequel or not. jjj-laugh.png

A couple of weeks ago, BP hit 5 weeks at number 1 and everyone decided to have a meltdown about how Universal was “fudging” 50 shades freed by keeping it in theaters longer than 6 weeks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

A couple of weeks ago, BP hit 5 weeks at number 1 and everyone decided to have a meltdown about how Universal was “fudging” 50 shades freed by keeping it in theaters longer than 6 weeks. 

I'm outraged, if I could turn back time the first thing I would do is make this right. This can not stand.

Onl

2 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Everyone? More like one person was obsessed with some non-existent fudging because I guess they couldn't stand the fact that 50 Shades 3 was going to hit 100mil domestically. 

• Like 3