Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread | Estimates: AQP 50M, RP1 25M, CKBLK 21.4M, BP 8.4M,

1 hour ago, Green245 said:

If you think 200 million or so is all that is needed to make A Wrinkle In Time a box office profit bonanza.. have at it.

No one ever said that, the claim was challenged was needing to reach 350m to 400m to turn a profit (without specifying a ROI in mind, I took it has the break even point). The gap between profit bonanza (say 22, 25% ROI) and break even is often hundreds of millions at the box office apart. 

Those 400m like figure you saw for Wrinkle in Time turning a profit is some film Internet from theatrical alone talk (one that make no sense at all and provide little to no information imo)

Denzel Washington? I have no idea what you talking about.

Sometimes when you have to move a discussion this far off topic to prove a point, it may be time to re-evaluate your position.

The general point here was trying to show how common it is for domestic movie (what WiT would have been if it would have made say 220m with a 100-110 dbo) heavy making around 2.0 time their budget to turn a profit, it is some really prolific and highly paid people career.

1/3 drop for A Quiet Place puts it 32-35 range and over 100m. 

The weekend after next debuts I Feel Pretty, Traffic, and Super Troopers 2. 

A Quiet Place should have a hold on most of its locations still, and when Avengers: Infinity War opens, there will be probably six or seven films all competing per theater. 

In that case, Rampage could prove niche going through May all the way to Memorial Day Weekend.  

Ready Player One might also be able to outlast up to ten movies come Memorial Day Weekend.  

I do not think Truth or Dare will do that good, but Blumhouse distributes well, and horror/thrillers have been selling decently.  

Rampage - 33.60 - 33.60

Quiet Place - 33.20 - 103.00

Ready Player One - 17.00 - 123.00

Truth or Dare - 16.00 - 16.00

Blockers - 12.50 - 42.00

Isle of Dogs - 6.30 - 20.40

Black Panther - 5.75 - 674.25

I Can Only Imagine - 5.10 - 77.00

I put 3m and 3m for Miracle Season and Chappaquiddick in the derby.  

These numbers would be roughly half of that tracking I had for above films ^^

Sergeant Stubby - 1.75 - 1.75

Borg vs McEnroe - 1.25 - 1.25

11 hours ago, LonePirate said:

@baumer you're one of the best gauges of popular sentiment on these boards. That's meant as a compliment, btw. If that trailer has won you over, then general audiences will likely provide a warm reception to both the trailer and the film.

Thank you buddy. 

I was definitely not really interested in this film before.  The previous trailers did nothing to get me interested.  This new one is really good though.  They have more Chewy, more Lando and it eels like a SW movie now.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Why would anyone choose to see that awful looking Truth or Dare over the brilliant A Quiet Place?

Because Truth or Dare looks like a different type of horror film.  More blood, more violence.  There's a part of the population who likes that.

3 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Isn't it PG-13? That means no blood or violence. 

There will be blood and there will be violence.  You don't need R to have some blood and some violence.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

There will be blood and there will be violence.  You don't need R to have some blood and some violence.

Truth Or Dare really should have been R. Looking at the premise and the trailer, it's baffling they went PG-13. There really is no excuse for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

Truth Or Dare really should have been R. Looking at the premise and the trailer, it's baffling they went PG-13. There really is no excuse for it.

I agree with you.  I'm disappointed that it is not R.  That hammer to the hand scene should be brutal and violent and so should the rest of the movie.

1 minute ago, That Ambitious Guy said:

Truth or Dare looks like campy fun and I’m 100% there for it

Every review I've seen in Facebook groups that saw this early has totally trashed it. One person even posts here so I'm surprised he hasn't given his review. They did say it was fun to see with an audience though as it pretty much turned into MST3K with everyone mocking it.

• Astonished 1

Just now, baumer said:

I agree with you.  I'm disappointed that it is not R.  That hammer to the hand scene should be brutal and violent and so should the rest of the movie.

Eh, the trailers have already effectively made them somewhat brutal without really showing the impact.  Horror doesn’t always need to show everything.  Plus if it were R, they’re cutting out a sizable demographic of their audience.  My showing of Happy Death Day had to be 95% teens

Just now, Boxofficerules said:

Every review I've seen in Facebook groups that saw this early has totally trashed it. One person even posts here so I'm surprised he hasn't given his review. They did say it was fun to see with an audience though as it pretty much turned into MST3K with everyone mocking it.

yesssss this increased my hype even more.  I’m looking for a campy fun horror film that you can laugh at and have a blast with and this looks to deliver

4 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Of course there is. The whole selling point of the movie is having cast 2 big teenie stars with Hale and that Teen Wolf Guy.

They would be very stupid, not to get a PG-13.

• Like 5