sfran43

Weekend Thread: WKND #BoxOffice - APR 20-22:#AQuietPlace $22M/$132.4M#Rampage $21M/$66.6M#IFeelPretty $16.2M#SuperTroopers $14.7M#TruthOrDare $7.9M/$30.4M pg 24

10 minutes ago, Barnack said:

For a global movie, healthy is pushing it I think you like to get close to your budget on the dbo, but at least it is not hurting you by having a theatrical release costing significantly higher than your rental that make it hard to achieve success from a good International run a la Warcraft type.

Just imagine how much it would have changed for Blade Runner or Ghost in a shell to make 75% of their budget domestic.

Now is 120m budget close to the truth ?.... if so it is a very direct comparable to a movie like Elysium (close to 130m production cost, around 100m world P&A).

Domestic revenues from is 93m run (I imagine that close to where Rampage will end up)

48.55m theatrical

62.874m home ent

Dom TV: 25.745

137.17m domestic

Elyisum made 167.3 intl-China Intl estimate, if Rampage reach nearly 180m there it could mimick Elyisum Intl revenues

74m theatrical

42.5m home ent

45.6m Intl tv

162.1m intl

Add Airlines deal and that 300m + What you can make from an over 130m China performance

Elysium though was 5 years ago.  A far different ancillary market.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Elysium though was 5 years ago.  A far different ancillary market.

By much ?, I think it stabilized around 2011 and started to go up a bit around 2016 when unphysical growth started to make up for the loss in physical, peak around 2006 and decline until around 2011, when Elysium went on home video the dvd bubble was fully popped by then I think, already around 50% the dvd revenues in adjusted dollar than 2006:

150108-Entertainment-spend-digital-v-phy

Home Ent Was around 20.5b last year, higher than 2013:

http://deadline.com/2018/01/u-s-home-entertainment-spending-rises-to-20-5-billion-1202239252/

You need to remove some of that misleading 9.5b from sVOD that is hard to know the split between being an Amazon prime member for shipping, but you are probably a bit higher than the 18b of 2013/2014 of Elysium time at least unadjusted.

Warner Brother for example in 2013/2014 average

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?item=UGFyZW50SUQ9NTcyNDQyfENoaWxkSUQ9MjgxMzE0fFR5cGU9MQ==&t=1

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.File?t=1&item=UGFyZW50SUQ9NjYzMzAxfENoaWxkSUQ9Mzc1NjcxfFR5cGU9MQ==

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/TWX/574216884x0x172551/CA55EB21-7F45-47BA-BE51-BFF899548A24/2007AR.pdf

Rental share of the total theatrical product revenues

2012: 31.3%

2013: 35.2%

2014: 33.7%

2015: 30.68%

2016: 38.8%

I am not comparing it to a 2004-2008 release, that is true it was a massively different era.

2006: 21.67% !**

2007: 29%

2008: 26.7%

2009: 32.11%

** (Some year's like 2006 apparently some studio went below 10% of revenue from domestic box office, yet that what was almost 100% what the press talked about)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

Super Troopers 2 did way better than I was expecting. I felt like the ship had long since sailed for that one. Perhaps with its surprise success, we'll finally get the fourth Harold & Kumar movie for the next 4/20? ;)

Half Baked 2, please.

12 minutes ago, YLF said:

so, the first LED screen has premiered in the valley. RPO will be the first movie to screen there. Its an odd choice for a theater, there are way better theaters than this in the valley/La area.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/led-video-wall-debuts-at-first-los-angeles-theater-1101782

That is a weird location. Maybe Samsung has some facility out there.  I dunno, but there's other hardware tech in that part of the valley. 

Edit: Harman, the audio partner, is out there.

Edited by harrycaul

22 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

That is a weird location. Maybe Samsung has some facility out there.  I dunno, but there's other hardware tech in that part of the valley. 

Edit: Harman, the audio partner, is out there.

Its still weird because aside form them updating to recliners... that theater is kind of shitty.  Old 80s decor, they didnt improve on their concessions area(its always dirty), the screen quality is pretty bad(well I guess one auditorium will improve now? lol)

Theres other theaters in the valley they couldve chosen, I think... and pacific theaters isnt a big chain. But maybe thats the reason they chose them.

Edited by YLF

I'm guessing that theater and in particular that auditorium was chosen to demo the technology with Samsung probably ponying up the bulk, if not all, of the costs. It's a large but not incredibly large screen and the installation and auditorium closure time wouldn't be too disruptive as there are certainly much busier theaters in the Pacific chain. I'm sure the price will drop over time as not many theaters are going to spend hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars for the new screens, especially if they have purchased laser projectors in the past few years. They might be an option for a newly constructed theater, though.

Edited by LonePirate

9 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

I'm guessing that theater and in particular that auditorium was chosen to demo the technology with Samsung probably ponying up the bulk, if not all, of the costs. It's a large but not incredibly large screen and the installation and auditorium closure time wouldn't be too disruptive as there are certainly much busier theaters in the Pacific chain. I'm sure the price will drop over time as not many theaters are going to spend hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars for the new screens, especially if they have purchased laser projectors in the past few years. They might be an option for a newly constructed theater, though.

You're probably right. Its really close to me and I want to check it out, but they're only playing RPO on it all weekend... so, I doubt ill check it out this weekend. Ill see avengers in it though for my second viewing(i have moviepass). Maybe it'll be similar to dolby vision quality for a normal ticket price.

Edited by YLF

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Ah I didn’t like Truth or Dare at all. 

I wouldn't exactly give it a glowing review either, but the ending was a legit surprise to me.

Panther had the 26th best 9th weekend, and amusingly 4.9M (same Sat and Sun % as last weekend) would get it the 26th best 10th as well. :jeb!:    

Movies this century with approximately similar 10th weekend numbers are Lincoln (5x multi off the weekend, complicated by 10th of wide release being a 4-day), The Blind Side (over 6x multi off the weekend), and Jumanji (~4x multi off the weekend). BP would need a 4.88 or so, so it could just barely get there if people did a lot of DIY double features, or fall bout a half dozen short if the theater losses are too great to overcome.    

Right now I’d guess quite close to 696.9

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heck of a 3rd weekend for A Quiet Place.

And BP continues to be a monster. Ridiculous hold. 

Expecting another excellent hold next weekend with IW and $700m will be squarely in its sight... er, claws. People love to underestimate this film and if IW is going to attract some of the audience that showed up for Black Panther, those ppl will definitely do double features themselves before IW. I know friends who already have grandparents planning on doing this who are not the usual movie going types but the presence of Wakanda in IW has them making an exception and checking out Panther again beforehand.

Edited by svetlana99
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

59 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Get ready for Super Troopers Cinematic Universe.

They're already looking into Cinematic Universe cross overs

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2406331/one-hilarious-marvel-crossover-broken-lizard-wants-for-super-troopers-3

Erik Stolhanske: We talked about Captain America today, right?

Jay Chandrasekhar: Well we've talked about Super Troopers 3 being called Super Troopers 3: Winter Soldiers. Since Chris Evans is retiring as Captain America, and he already has the mustache.

Erik Stolhanske: He'd be a perfect fit.

Jay Chandrasekhar: Could be a nice crossover.

• Astonished 1

52 minutes ago, svetlana99 said:

Heck of a 3rd weekend for A Quiet Place.

And BP continues to be a monster. Ridiculous hold. 

Expecting another excellent hold next weekend with IW and $700m will be squarely in its sight... er, claws. People love to underestimate this film and if IW is going to attract some of the audience that showed up for Black Panther, those ppl will definitely do double features themselves before IW. I know friends who already have grandparents planning on doing this who are not the usual movie going types but the presence of Wakanda in IW has them making an exception and checking out Panther again beforehand.

Yep, I think BP could really surprise next weekend. An increase might be coming. I was thinking Disney should expand  it, but it's held theaters like such a champ they don't even need to. Still almost 2k tc in weekend 10. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3