Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

But maybe it's because people are expecting or hoping for numbers that aren't realistic.

Yeah, certainly some of that can happen. But it seems like I see a lot more of   :

A hopes for a number that is possible, but not likely — maybe like a 90th percentile quality number    

We get a number that is pretty reasonable, maybe like 40th percentile  

A is disspointmed.   

A says “I’m disspointed with this number, even though it isn’t an objective failure.”   

B says “This number isn’t bad, your number was completely unrealistic and impossible.”   

A says “no, it was optimistic but possible.”   

B says “no it was totally silly, just look at what the number actually end up being (doesn’t follow, btw). You’re silly for being disspointed and we’re going to laugh at for it.”    

I just don’t understand what is motivating B in an exchange like this. Let people be optimistic when they want to (within reason), and let them be disspointed more often as a result. That’s their business.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

Wait, with that kind of Jedi mind power, Luke shoule be able to get laid as many times as he wanted no?

"Come along, I'll show you the force."

Luke Skywalker a rapist???

• Haha 1

Just now, Chewy said:

Distraught not mad

Let me put this in 'Process' terms.

Houston Astros, had a similar process. In 2015, they over performed and made the playoffs with a collection of #1 picks coming into fruition. They lost.

Two years later, look where they were. And now Tele isn't even here for me to gloat about it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MrWhite said:

Let me put this in 'Process' terms.

Houston Astros, had a similar process. In 2015, they over performed and made the playoffs with a collection of #1 picks coming into fruition. They lost.

Two years later, look where they were. And now Tele isn't even here for me to gloat about it.

Now is not the time, White

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Don't expect me to get into some super intense arguments about Star Wars. I like the Star Wars films but they aren't comic book or horror movie level things to me. I don't have obsessive fandom for Star Wars so I could give a rats ass about the "Luke Skywalker was out of character stuff" personally. I sympathize with reasonable disappointed fans but Star Wars isn't my thing so I took that plot point for what it was, a plot point. I thought it was executed fine for the most part. I absolutely loathed what Snyder did to Superman in Batman v Superman so it would be untrue to say that, despite not agreeing, I don't know what some of the fans are going through. Batman v Superman is my The Last Jedi, Superman was my Luke Skywalker. Hopefully you guys have a 3rd film that recovers the series for you. 

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Don't expect me to get into some super intense arguments about Star Wars. I like the Star Wars films but they aren't comic book or horror movie level things to me. I don't have obsessive fandom for Star Wars so I could give a rats ass about the "Luke Skywalker was out of character stuff" personally. I sympathize with reasonable disappointed fans but Star Wars isn't my thing so I took that plot point for what it was, a plot point. I thought it was executed fine for the most part. I absolutely loathed what Snyder did to Superman in Batman v Superman so it would be untrue to say that, despite not agreeing, I don't know what some of the fans are going through. Batman v Superman is my The Last Jedi, Superman was my Luke Skywalker. Hopefully you guys have a 3rd film that recovers the series for you. 

Shhhh. Don’t tell cannastop. He’ll call you a butthurt fanboy

28 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Yeah, certainly some of that can happen. But it seems like I see a lot more of   :

A hopes for a number that is possible, but not likely — maybe like a 90th percentile quality number    

We get a number that is pretty reasonable, maybe like 40th percentile  

A is disspointmed.   

A says “I’m disspointed with this number, even though it isn’t an objective failure.”   

B says “This number isn’t bad, your number was completely unrealistic and impossible.”   

A says “no, it was optimistic but possible.”   

B says “no it was totally silly, just look at what the number actually end up being (doesn’t follow, btw). You’re silly for being disspointed and we’re going to laugh at for it.”    

I just don’t understand what is motivating B in an exchange like this. Let people be optimistic when they want to (within reason), and let them be disspointed more often as a result. That’s their business.

Most people who preach and moan about others being disappointed are happy when they see a movie they dislike underperform and want to rub it in, just check their post history. There are exceptions of course.

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

Nah ppl were posting in the opening weekend thread that it definitely had better WOM than Panther :sparta:

Even if it would have got much better WOM than Panther is would have probably not get close to the same multi, resistance level is way different for both title.

People that had seen 0 MCU movie (or more realistically very few of them or none in a long time0 could and have gone to Black Panther.

12 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

A 3rd film in a mega blockbuster series increasing over it's predecessor will never be disappointing. 

It could beat AoU with a 60M weekend, but that would still be atrocious and highly dissapointing. As our information changes, what numbers are or aren’t dissapointing changes as well. In May 2015, a 300 total for JW wouldn’t be disspointing at all. After June 15, it would be one of the most dissapointing results in history.

Edited by Thanos Legion

Nobody in their right mind believed that AVENGERS 3 would have around the 3.5 multi that Black Panther will get.

Now I remember why I limited my time on this particular thread. The dramatics are insane. I went back and read the Wonder Woman opening weekend thread and it was just insane and incredibly frustrating to read through.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1