Sheikh

Weekend Thread | Avengers 2nd Weekend - 114.774 only a 21.5% drop on Sunday

57 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

It's annoying when people are disappointed by stupid expectations to begin with to be honest.

Sure, be disappointed all you want but just accept that you will have to hear people telling you "I told you so".

It’s annoying when people are disspointed and then told their expectations were stupid when they weren’t, to be honest.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arlborn said:

It's annoying when people are disappointed by stupid expectations to begin with to be honest.

Sure, be disappointed all you want but just accept that you will have to hear people telling you "I told you so".

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

It’s annoying when people are disspointed and then told their expectations were stupid when they weren’t, to be honest.

I get where @Thanos Legion is coming from. He's not dissapointed that movie won't make 150M 2nd weekend(outlandish expectations), just that this weekend both Friday & Saturday have had muted increases compared to other Marvel movies. Usually Marvel movies increase in the vicinity of ~60% on Saturday but this one seems like 50% (maybe even less), so getting a bit dissapointed over it seems fair to me.

• Like 1

I get what you guys are saying.  You're disappointed that it didn't get to set records this weekend.  Or disappointed that it couldn't increase like other Marvel films.  Makes sense.  

But I guess it's about balance.  The numbers during the week were really good which means maybe some of the people who would usually wait to see it on the weekend, went out to see it during the week.  the box office is funny sometimes.  You think it behaves in a certain way and they it throws a monkey in the wrench.  

• Like 5

As for as I admire IW's record breaking run, I want IW to drop right now to secure my Titanic position at num2 WW.

that saturday's number kind of relieve to me, not because it is bad, just because it prove the legs of this one will be standard, no more TFA's insane legs

• Like 3

3 hours ago, YLF said:

It seems to be doing well in LA surprised by the low number tbh

You think 48 million is a low number?  :redcapes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only second weekend drop that I would find bad for an Avengers 3 that opened with 257.7mil is a 63-70% drop. That is it. It was more frontloaded than some of us predicted, so what? A film going below personal expectations does not and never has meant bad drop in real world terms no matter how much some on this forum pretend otherwise. You could have been disappointed that A Quiet Place didn't drop 25% it's second weekend, that still doesn't make it's real second weekend numbers of 34% bad.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Another way to look at this is that IW has a chance to be the second highest grossing non opening weekend Saturday, if it gets past 47.55 million.  That's nothing to be disappointed with.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

You think 48 million is a low number?  :redcapes:

Lower than expected by some and the range is between 46-48M. It could possibly be only a 50% increase from Friday. 

• Like 1

So 111-115mil is where it should land unless it has a great Sunday drop.

We don't even know if Deadpool 2 is any good or not. If it isn't, it's going to be a one weekend wonder like 99% of poorly reviewed modern comic book movies. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

3 hours ago, The Mad Titan said:

I suppose since RTH didn't come back with another update that 46-48 is where it stayed. 

I'm making my 4th contribution tomorrow so here's hoping for a $35m Sunday. 

RTH might be in cocaine induced coma right now, surrounded by the hottest men in the world.  His not showing up might have nothing to do with the numbers and everything to do with the party lifestyle and insouciance that he lives by.  :sparta:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

So 111-115mil is where it should land unless it has a great Sunday drop.

We don't even know if Deadpool 2 is any good or not. If it isn't, it's going to be a one weekend wonder like 99% of poorly reviewed modern comic book movies. 

Or it could be really crowd pleasing and it has an excellent multiplier.  

6 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Looks like it was a wise move to move AIW away from Deadpool 2. :Venom:

Seriously, I doubt superhero cannibalization will happen like during civil war vs x-men, and thor 3 and JL.

Those are like PG-13 battle and even their story tone/style was kind of similar.

While Deadpool 2 is R-rated, we have no record saying that superhero's PG-13 and R can't be coexist.

Anyway, I need deadpool 2 now desperately.... 

For real I thought DP2 was gonna underperform but Celine snapped me out of that. Wish that had been released before summer game preseason was due...

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

As for as I admire IW's record breaking run, I want IW to drop right now to secure my Titanic position at num2 WW.

that saturday's number kind of relieve to me, not because it is bad, just because it prove the legs of this one will be standard, no more TFA's insane legs

I think Titanic is safe now unless China goes over $550 million (unlikely). Its rank at #2 WW will probably be challenged again next year though... if not by Avengers 4, then the Lion King.