The Panda

The Final Countdown: BOT's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - The List is Complete, The Empire is Dead, I Now Go to the Grey Havens

This list keeps getting better and better.

Go on BoT.

Billy-D_Approves.gif

Chinatown is my favorite Noir film (or neo-noir whatever).

BR is an absolute stunner.

I'm actually glad Avatar got recognized for once, even thought the cameronies cheated.

Richard Linklater is the first director to make it with 2 movies wtf ?

I like his style but you guys are getting soft.

I predict no love for Godfather 3 as usual...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

In honor of @Telemachos

lawrence-of-arabia-542050c18b43a.jpg

Number 87

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

Horizon Picture, Directed by David Lean (48 Points, 13 Votes)

MPW-21346

"No Arab loves the desert. We love water and green trees. There is nothing in the desert and no man needs nothing."

Number 1 Placements: 1

Top 25 Placements: 4

Previous Rankings: 2016 (21, -66), 2014 (47, -40), 2013 (31, -56), 2012 (66, -21)

Awards Count: Won 7 Oscars, Including Best Picture

Tomatometer: 98% (9.1 Avg Rating)

Box Office: 44.8m (507.3m Adjusted)

Synopsis: The story of T.E. Lawrence, the English officer who successfully united and led the diverse, often warring, Arab tribes during World War I in order to fight the Turks.

Critic Opinion: "The personal story of T.E. Lawrence and his real-life military achievement in Arabia during World War I, is told in a series of scenes that become as complex on the screen as was the personality of the man responsible for them. As a young British lieutenant, Lawrence was sent to Arabia by British Intelligence and there worked a military miracle. Lawrence is superbly represented on the screen by Peter O'Toole." - Kate Cameron

User Opinions: "LOA's script is a masterpiece of subtlety and economy. There's not a wasted word." - @Telemachos

"Worth seeing on the big screen in 70mm if you ever get a chance. It's truly stunning." - @Telemachos

"I remember jizzing all over that screen like Ethan Hunt when he saw La La Land." - @Telemachos

Commentary: Coming in quite a bit lower than we're used to seeing it (partially because no Tele votes to inflate this film up the list like years in the past), is one of the quintessential epics.  Lawrence of Arabia shows an auteur at his absolute prime, with talents such as Alec Guinnes and Peter O'Toole to raise the film to an even higher level.  Almost any true epic you've seen, that isn't a David Lean epic, is in someway trying to emulate what David Lean has done here and in a few of his other films.  Lawrence had a few passion votes and found itself on 21% of the lists that were submitted.

Decade Count: 10s (4), '00s (3), 80s (2), 70s (2), 90s (1), 60s (1), 50s (1)

Director Count: Paul Thomas Anderson (1), James Cameron (1), Alfonso Cuaron (1), Stanley Donen (1) Terry Gillam (1), Rian Johnson (1), Terry Jones (1), Gene Kelly (1), David Lean (1), Ang Lee (1), Richard Linklater (1), Katia Lund (1), Fernando Meirelles (1), Roman Polanski (1), Gus van Sant (1), Ridley Scott (1), Isao Takahata (1)

Franchise Count: Blade Runner (1), James Cameron (1), Monty Python (1), Star Wars (1), Studio Ghibli (1)

Genre Count: Drama (4), Sci-Fi (4), Epic (4), Crime/Noir (3), Adventure (3), Fantasy (2), Action (2), Thriller (2), Period Piece (2), Animation (1), Comedy (1), Musical (1), Tragedy (1), War (1), Western (1), Bio-Pic (1)

rebwyz6un28z.png

It dropped 66 places....

This is a traveshamockery and I partially blame @Telemachos for probably not sending in a list - and anyone else who didn't place it #1 or at least top 10. 

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Daxtreme said:

How can Mulholland Drive not make it?

:bourne:

Forum on the whole still not worthy of Lynch. Someday...

Glad that Chinatown made it but :kitschjob: that it's in the same position it was in 2016. 

Tele doesn't submit a list and Lawrence of Arabia drops 66 spots, a self-proclaimed "I have no taste for aesthetics" poster submits a box-office chart and is the sole reason Avatar is in the top 100, and Ethan and Before Sunset... Ethan I'm coming for you.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, baumer said:

I am curious as to whether or not classic horror will make the list.  Pretty sure Halloween has made previous lists.  Hoping Texas chainsaw and maybe Nightmare on Elm Street make an appearance.  Not holding my breath though.

Well...I have Nightmare 1 & 3 on my list...so there is hope. (And Halloween)

• Like 1

Also, I don't like that Avatar is above: 

Spoiler

89.                        Blade Runner

90.                        Chinatown

91.                        Good Will Hunting

96.                        Star Wars: The Last Jedi

99.                        Grave of the Fireflies

206.                      Leon: The Professional

208.                      JFK

209.                      Mulholland Drive

210.                      The Exorcist

217.                      Tremors

218.                      Big Fish

220.                      Ocean’s Eleven

221.                      Office Space

222.                      Duck Soup

225.                      The Producers

226.                      American Psycho

227.                      Batman Returns

238.                      12 Years a Slave

239.                      Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

240.                      Hunt for the Wilderpeople

241.                      The LEGO Movie

243.                      Rashomon

245.                      Das Boot

247.                      Dredd

248.                      Notorious

249.                      Men in Black

250.                      Kung Fu Panda

*Grumble annoyed grumble*

24 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

Also, I don't like that Avatar is above: 

Reveal hidden contents

*Grumble annoyed grumble*

If you disregard James Cameron Scholar's list it's in the 100s somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I could bitch about Avatar being too low. Or Almost Famous falling just short of the top 200 but...

MY BABY MADE IT. IT'S  REAL. ALL WRONGS COMMITTED HERE HAVE BEEN FORGIVEN 

YOU MADE THE BIGGEST WRONG OF ALL WE COULD HAVE HAD SUNSET ON HERE AS WELL IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE SUCH A WACK-ASS OPINION ABOUT IT

I wouldn't say all wrongs have been forgiven :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

If you disregard James Cameron Scholar's list it's in the 100s somewhere.

That's not true.  If he sent in a list that was done in the way the rest of us did, do you not think Avatar would be number one on his list?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aabattery said:

Good work team.

Except you, @Ethan Hunt

6 hours ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

I'll go ahead and spoil that Before Sunset missed by 4 points and is sitting at #107.  It was all Ethan's fault.  (However he really did help out Before Sunrise, so there's that)

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

and Ethan and Before Sunset... Ethan I'm coming for you.

tumblr_mkacsmyv4V1r3bojdo1_500.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

That's not true.  If he sent in a list that was done in the way the rest of us did, do you not think Avatar would be number one on his list?

I mean that, without his list counted, Avatar would have been way below #100 on this list. It got 10 points from him alone. 

3 minutes ago, aabattery said:

So you agree with Ethan that Before Sunset is the most cynical movie you've ever seen and that it is not good?

no that doesn't make sense but i'm not 12 years old so...

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

In honor of @Telemachos

lawrence-of-arabia-542050c18b43a.jpg

Number 87

Lawrence of Arabia (1962)

Horizon Picture, Directed by David Lean (48 Points, 13 Votes)

User Opinions: "LOA's script is a masterpiece of subtlety and economy. There's not a wasted word." - @Telemachos

"Worth seeing on the big screen in 70mm if you ever get a chance. It's truly stunning." - @Telemachos

"I remember jizzing all over that screen like Ethan Hunt when he saw La La Land." - @Telemachos

giphy.gif

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, aabattery said:

So you agree with Ethan that Before Sunset is the most cynical movie you've ever seen and that it is not good?

I didn't hate Sunset :lol:

It's just not my favorite.

• Disbelief 1