sfran43

Monday's Numbers: updated - $4.62M (Final)

I can see IW playing out like this

3rd Mon-Thu: 18M

4th weekend: 28M (-55%)

4th Mon-Thu: 10M

Memorial Day weekend: 16.5M 3-day/21M 4-day

32-day total up to Memorial Day is 625M

• Like 1

Strong Monday number for AIW.  If it weren't for BP functioning as a recent comparison, we'd be pretty impressed with its legs coming off a record-breaking opening.

AIW isn't playing at capacity any more, so I don't think the loss of screens to DP2's opening will affect it significantly.  It's at a natural phase in its run to start shedding screens.  There should be plenty of room in the market for both movies, and the hardcore fanboys have had plenty of time to see AIW.  They shouldn't be cannibalizing each other at this point.

I think it drops a little over 45% to about $34M. 

That said, I have a hard time seeing how this universally loved film has a worse fourth-weekend drop (-44.2%) than the less popular AOU.

Just now, LinksterAC said:

Strong Monday number for AIW.  If it weren't for BP functioning as a recent comparison, we'd be pretty impressed with its legs coming off a record-breaking opening.

AIW isn't playing at capacity any more, so I don't think the loss of screens to DP2's opening will affect it significantly.  It's at a natural phase in its run to start shedding screens.  There should be plenty of room in the market for both movies, and the hardcore fanboys have had plenty of time to see AIW.  They shouldn't be cannibalizing each other at this point.

I think it drops a little over 45% to about $34M. 

That said, I have a hard time seeing how this universally loved film has a worse fourth-weekend drop (-44.2%) than the less popular AOU.

AOU's 4th weekend was Memorial Day weekend though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

IW is the first comic book movie to make more than a billion internationally.  

I think we all would have been shocked if it did beat Ultron overseas but it will get to around 1.33-1.36 billion overseas, number 3 all-time behind only Titanic and Avatar. 

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

I think we all would have been shocked if it did beat Ultron overseas but it will get to around 1.33-1.36 billion overseas, number 3 all-time behind only Titanic and Avatar. 

it looks like it has a chance, but then again, passing Titanic isn't for certain.

Most people in the China thread have it finishing at 350 mill, so that's another 135 from China.  Probably another 135 in North America.

That's puts it at around 1.87 billion. Let's call it 1.9 billion.  To pass Titanic, it needs another 287 million.  I think that might be a bit much.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

it looks like it has a chance, but then again, passing Titanic isn't for certain.

Most people in the China thread have it finishing at 350 mill, so that's another 135 from China.  Probably another 135 in North America.

That's puts it at around 1.87 billion. Let's call it 1.9 billion.  To pass Titanic, it needs another 287 million.  I think that might be a bit much.

I guess it ends around TFA (or lower, probably at 2B), I doubt it can pass Titanic, because for that it would need strong China legs.

As I can't really see it getting another 290M internationally.

it had a $82.5M international weekend for 290M it would need a 3.5 Multiplier (without counting the weekend, so if we count this Weekend too it would be 4.5x and that seems to high, way to high)

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Taruseth said:

I guess it ends around TFA, I doubt it can pass Titanic, because for that it would need strong China legs.

As I can't really see it getting another 290M internationally.

Well, just going by the members in the China forum, 350 is about the max it will hit in China.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, baumer said:

Well, just going by the members in the China forum, 350 is about the max it will hit in China.

Yeah, I saw that, I just wanted to point out, that it the legs would need to be stronger in China for IW to top Titanic.

30 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Why does that make you more comfortable?

AOU dropped 44% in its fourth frame.  I'm guessing $34M this weekend for AIW.  For $34M, AIW will have to lose close to 46% of its business from the third weekend.  

I was scratching my head trying to explain why the most reasonable drop I could think of was worse than the equivalent AOU drop, since AIW is generally exhibiting much better legs.

Then @Rebeccas pointed out that AOU's fourth weekend was Memorial Day.  Now I have an explanation (and she has a like).

Edited by LinksterAC

37 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I always expected it to be the first MCU movie to do over a billion overseas... but I didn't expect it to do a billion minus China. That is the nutty part.

• Like 1