CJohn

DEADPOOL 2 WEEKEND THREAD | Spoilers = BANNED INTO OBLIVION | Dp2 125M and 300 WW debut...Asgard Sun update pg 123

13 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

@Rthanos I know overall domestic, that BP will likely finish ahead of IW but I wonder if that will happen in Canada as I think BP is not even a top 5 opener here. 

more than likely same in Canada

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

The only lower budget one on the horizon is probably Shazam. Think that might come in at Deadpool 2 budget numbers or lower.

....that’s like saying an upcoming Superman movie will be cheaper than DP2. 

Now NEW MUTANTS, what’s the budget on that?

3 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

Still maintain this is peak Marvel. Perhaps some slightly higher results next year, but it's basically at a plateau as of now. The downhill will come.

...Is what comic book movies haters have been saying for 10 years. Give it a rest. When the boom ends it will end. No use in predicting failure for 10 years and being dead wrong.

• Like 8

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

...Is what comic book movies haters have been saying for 10 years. Give it a rest. When the boom ends it will end. No use in predicting failure for 10 years and being dead wrong.

It's a good thing I haven't been doing that then. 

7 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

Still maintain this is peak Marvel. Perhaps some slightly higher results next year, but it's basically at a plateau as of now. The downhill will come.

I heard the same in 2012.

But way to go out on a limb to say Marvel Studios might not have another year where two films make $1.3b+ and $1.9b+ dollars when no other studio ever has.     

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 8
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

I....actually agree to a point? Look at long running formulaic movie franchises. 007, Disney toons, etc. Both had their highs and lows, but ultimately they kept chugging along. I like to think that’ll be MCU’s fate as well.

of course when friggin BP does a billion (first MCU movie to do that without RDJ) maybe I’m underselling them?

11 minutes ago, harrycaul said:

I mean yeah it's pretty hard to go up from two consecutive 700m DOM and 1.3b+ WW grossers that were also highly acclaimed. Though I think TA4 may do just that. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Green Lantern and Fan4stick bombed harder than B&R.

True, but that just goes to show far the genre has come since. X-Men was the only big-budget superhero picture in the five years between B&R's failure and Spider-Man reviving the genre in the most massive of ways.

14 minutes ago, RRA said:

....that’s like saying an upcoming Superman movie will be cheaper than DP2. 

Now NEW MUTANTS, what’s the budget on that?

It’s a New Line production, New Line budgets are way lower than WB proper.

DP2 is a lot of fun. Plot is all over the place with a lot of rehashed beats and it’s not as funny as the first one, but a worthy sequel. New characters are great. I can see rewatches being low though because of the slow first act.

Edited by Mekanos
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The ironic part is CBM movies have become every genre. Just in the last year you have your sci-fi space adventure with GotG2, your high school coming of age comedy with Homecoming, your zany buddy comedy with Ragnarok, your politically/socially charged drama with WW and BP, your big budget epic with IW, and now your raunchy adult satire with DP2.

And New Mutants was attempting to tick the horror box before it got delayed into oblivion. The only true "comic book movie" in genre in the past year has been JL. Maybe that's part of why it failed so hard. 

Ant-Man and the Wasp is bringing back the shrinking genre that's been dormant ever since the first Honey, I Shrunk the Kids.

Spoiler

Yes, I'm aware Ant-Man and its sequel are heist movies, so don't bother pointing that out.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

True, but that just goes to show far the genre has come since. X-Men was the only big-budget superhero picture in the five years between B&R's failure and Spider-Man reviving the genre in the most massive of ways.

And Arad claims he had to twist Fox's arm to get it made using Blade's lower key success and the lure that if they didn't act some other studio would pick up the rights.  Even so the First X-Men budget was only $75m.    For comparison in 2000: Gone In 60 Seconds had a $103m budget, Little Nicky cost $80m , Lucky Numbers cost $65m... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I watched DP2 in an empty theater surrounded by teenagers who didn’t get half the jokes. I think it would have been a better movie going experience with a better crowd but overall it was a worthy sequel.

About even in terms of quality/humor as the original.