Nova

Tuesday Numbers: Solo "Could hit around $7.4" per Asgard 2

32 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

A movie with Star Wars in its title should be all the marketing it needs to smash at the box office.

Pretty sure that's what Disney thought and well look at the results for Solo. Reality is you still need to deliver a quality movie and make people want to show up to your movie. Two things Disney failed to do with Solo. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

There are more than one factors when explaining why Solo won't make as much as Rogue One. If that is what you are saying, then I agree.

*BUT* there's only one reason why it is an epic, spectacular failure: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi, a movie that the only thing it genuinely succeeded in "subverting", was the franchise itself. 

Edit: @Barnack From that Superbowl list you have there, Solo is the most popular movie-related ad, ahead of AIW and JW2

I think somebody's hatred of TLJ is more then a little over the top.

If Solo had been a stronger film, with better marketing, this would not have happened.

And TLJ Subverting the entire franchise is just a bit too much like "Lucas raped my childhood" for my taste.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Prettt sure that's what Disney thought and well look at the results for Solo. Reality is you still need to deliver a quality movie and make people want to show up to your movie. Two things Disney failed to do with Solo. 

Compare the clever marketing for Christpher Robin ,which seems likely to turn that film into a surprise hit, with the meh marketing for Solo. Disney marketing just plain got lazy.

And Disney knew that many people were sort of 'meh" at the idea of a Solo movie to begin with. They have no good explanation for not trying to make the marketing halfway clever to overcome this. Just a major fail on the part of Disney Marketing.

Disney probably has the best marketing in the film industry, but even the New England Patriots and Lebron James blow a game on occasion, and Disney Marketing certainly did that with Solo.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PPZVGOS said:

Edit: @Barnack From that Superbowl list you have there, Solo is the most popular movie-related ad, ahead of AIW and JW2

It was the only for who it was the very first piece of marketing (a trailer #2 should do way less) and most popular that was for the day itself right ?

https://www.ispot.tv/events/super-bowl-commercials

#1 during game day, but down under Doritos & Avengers over time

game day:

Solo: A Star Wars Story Super Bowl 2018

Online Activity: 12.70% 
Online Views: 3,173,647 
Social Actions: 306,369

Doritos Blaze vs. Mountain Dew Ice Super Bowl 2018 TV Spot, 'Battle'

Online Activity: 9.01% 
Online Views: 1,143,039 
Social Actions: 240,771

Avengers: Infinity War Super Bowl 2018
Online Activity: 8.86% 
Online Views: 2,019,846 
Social Actions: 217,953

Total run:

Doritos Blaze vs. Mountain Dew Ice Super Bowl 2018 TV Spot, 'Battle'
Online Activity: 14.01% 
Online Views: 13,894,129 
Social Actions: 1,252,676
Avengers: Infinity War Super Bowl 2018
Online Activity: 9.07% 
Online Views: 18,267,252 
Social Actions: 691,752
Solo: A Star Wars Story Super Bowl 2018
Online Activity: 8.60% 
Online Views: 7,838,975 
Social Actions: 777,838

But that would be a bit of chicken and egg talk, did the first trailer wom / phenomenon to catch on online was so bad because the teaser itself was bad or because of some franchise backlash.... we are not much advanced by just looking at raw number like this, we would need to see the trailer "cinemascore" the studio have.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, nevermore said:

I myself didn't go to see Solo because of TLJ, so I'm sure that had effect. 

The truth is there's a lot of factors in play. You can't really blame it on one thing.

Same here, along with all but one of my friends who were fans of Star Wars. That's not a scientific survey but it's sure damning. TLJ is absolutely loathed by fans, it's gone way beyond distaste or disappointment. They, and I, saw the entire movie as a giant middle finger. 

mqgEXWD.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think somebody's hatred of TLJ is more then a little over the top.

If Solo had been a stronger film, with better marketing, this would not have happened.

And TLJ Subverting the entire franchise is just a bit too much like "Lucas raped my childhood" for my taste.

You are knocking on an open door here. My view about TLJ is that it is an atrocity of a movie, and millions of Star Wars fans and GA alike agree with this assessment. I have never pretended to be in any way neutral towards that film. 

Of course, Solo could have been a better movie and that could very likely boosted its BO performance.

As for TLJ subverting the franchise, well, the immediate fallout from EP VIII is that we now have, for the first time in history, a Star Wars film that will be an outright failure. It will be lucky to make 50% of what AOTC did adjusted. 

Moreover, JJ will have to pull something spectacular in order for EP IX to avoid embarrassment. 

7 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

Would this really do any better if it was a Bobba Fet movie and not a Solo movie? More people know who Solo is than who Bobba Fet is

Depend of the trailer, but a movie about a bounty hunter we know little about could be a more interesting and fresh proposition to many.

that said an over 300m Fett movie would have probably been a worst idea on paper, specially if it is a let see how did Fet captured Solo or something like that.

June 3  
Solo: A Star Wars Story Disney / Lucasfilm $28,000,000 $147,100,000 -67%
Deadpool 2 Fox $20,000,000 $251,000,000 -54%
Adrift STX $12,000,000 $12,000,000 NEW
Avengers: Infinity War Disney / Marvel $9,200,000 $641,500,000 -47%
Book Club Paramount $6,300,000 $46,300,000 -37%
Action Point Paramount $5,200,000 $5,200,000 NEW
Upgrade BH Tilt $2,800,000 $2,800,000 NEW
Life of the Party Warner Bros. / New Line $2,500,000 $45,100,000 -54%
Breaking In Universal $1,900,000 $40,400,000 -55%
Overboard Pantelion $1,500,000 $45,000,000 -52%
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

This. The Mouse is doing spin.

I get the feeling the best Disney PR people have been pulled off of what happened with Solo to handle what is going on with Rosanne Barr,

That was the leaving for other reasons boss of distribution, not the PR department. IMHO he said a bit more than that.

Do ppl know 'implied'?

1 hour ago, PPZVGOS said:

I don't think the trailers were poor, but in any case, that is somewhat subjective. They did in fact come out late, but you can't tell me that people were not aware that a new Star Wars movie was coming out. What they were also aware of, was the degree to which they loathed TLJ and wanted to make their feelings clear by avoiding Solo. 

Already told that, I was aware to a degree only (even being into BO, not being here for a while, live is sometimes full with non-movie details), saw 1 trailer in the cinemas with AIW in the OV and based on that realised it is coming out soon. Not even a header at the cinema ticket sales websites, nothing else elswhere. But I do not live in the US.

Acc to here at BOT a time before the release (I tried to catch-up) the 1st trailer got not perceived in a good/very good way. Btw, that one I have still not seen

Funnily my husband knew about it shortly after release too (he doesn't watch 'that kind' of films) per a ~ high cultural radio show, that doesn't usually cover such movies, speaker speaking about 'robbed childhood memories' and the movie is bad for reasons (acc. son reasons given were a bit strange). Husband only remembered it bcs he thought the speaker sounded VERY childish in his wording. I was literally shocked he knows anything about the movie ('that kind of' movie).

About trailer watch possibilities:

I wasn't that much in the cinemas last year, since Black Panther got released I was more often in the cinema than the whole last year. Didn't watch SW8, might watch it, in case I watch SW9, not sure.

Like Solo, think it is solid & enjoyable, feels like Star Wars, but not in the big scale / big event film way. I give a 10/10 only every decade or so, for me Solo is a strong 7/10 (~ 7.5/10), I'll have to re-watch it maybe, as I didn't understand something, for a final rating.

During 1st act some sound strangeness, but that might have been the cinema (not the best one)

33 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

Would this really do any better if it was a Bobba Fet movie and not a Solo movie? More people know who Solo is than who Bobba Fet is

I do not know anyone who would watch that. Only possibility: an exceptional made, interesting story promising trailer

I can ask after the school holidays some of my pupils that, as far I know, do like the figure, if important for you

5 minutes ago, sfran43 said:
June 3  
Solo: A Star Wars Story Disney / Lucasfilm $28,000,000 $147,100,000 -67%
Deadpool 2 Fox $20,000,000 $251,000,000 -54%
Adrift STX $12,000,000 $12,000,000 NEW
Avengers: Infinity War Disney / Marvel $9,200,000 $641,500,000 -47%
Book Club Paramount $6,300,000 $46,300,000 -37%
Action Point Paramount $5,200,000 $5,200,000 NEW
Upgrade BH Tilt $2,800,000 $2,800,000 NEW
Life of the Party Warner Bros. / New Line $2,500,000 $45,100,000 -54%
Breaking In Universal $1,900,000 $40,400,000 -55%
Overboard Pantelion $1,500,000 $45,000,000 -52%

Eh.......

it was a combination of things that led to Solo's epic failure, People not being interested in a Solo movie, people not wanting another actor as Solo, TLJ souring people, etc.  Just one of these things could have led to average grosses, all of them together lead to shitting horrible grosses

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

well Hellboy 2 only dropped that much thanks to the dumbest release date in history. 

No Hellboy dropped that much because it was a terrible horrible movie.

21 minutes ago, Mekanos said:

Guardians 2 dropped 52.9% from Memorial Day weekend, for reference. But it was also opening against Wonder Woman. I think IW can manage 10 million for the 3-day.

It's Tues is higher than AOU's which did $11.4m against the opening of San Andreas

• Like 1