Nova

Tuesday Numbers: Solo "Could hit around $7.4" per Asgard 2

16 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

You have a point but Boba Fett is such a meh character compared to the marvel ones you mention. In fact the most marvel-like character in Star Wars IS Han Solo, at least the Harrison Ford version.

Boba Fett is also, when you get down to it, a mixed bag as a choice.  He was only good in one movie:  ESB, and there he had very little screen time.  The bad part is we already know how he dies in ROTJ, and in that movie he died in a very clumsy and stupid way.  That sucked all the coolness out of the character, or nearly did.  And then there are the prequels, which labored over the inclusion of daddy and child fett to the point of boredom.

Not saying something cool couldn't be done with him, but they're realistically starting out with about the same amount of desire to see a Boba Fett movie as a Han Solo movie.  If they have a good movie and story, if they have a great trailer... sure they could maybe do something with that.  But it would have to be one hell of a trailer, to start.

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

JL  Wed was the day before Thanksgiving

If you mean it benefited from being a holiday, you could exchange JL's first wed and Solo's first mon as being somewhat equivalent in terms of impact.  I still think it comes under JL numbers every day and throughout its run.

They lack creativity because they are too slavishly devoted to past to experiment in present. Solo looks generic af because GOTG changed the way how that type of a movie is done. Not saying that Solo,etc should copy GOTG, just that they should find their own style that isn't sepia shit or emulating OT (70s era is gone, bye, move on).

I just saw this very interesting video that I think probably does have a level of bias, but it does use a lot of interview clips. It's another video I think someone at Disney really needs to see if they want to understand exactly what is happening with Solo's box office. They have to get their faces out of twitter and facebook and do the dirty work of learning how they're perceived by a chunk of their audience. Their problem is as much a PR problem as it is a marketing and TLJ problem.  If all they take away from this performance is that it's a marketing issue or a response to the last movie, they will get an incomplete picture and not see the heights of success they previously have.

This is the first I've ever seen Kathleen Kennedy in interviews, and tbh I think she has the same vibe as Hillary Clinton did in 2016. There's something about them that feels very insincere for some reason. (this is not an opening for debates on politics or rants about emails or whatever) 

Edited by Bobbybuilderton
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Honestly, I doubt IX is going to turn out to be another TLJ aka a fan-polarizing movie. If anything it will be closer to TFA which, while played it relatively safe, satisfied most fans and casual audiences. 

At this point, Disney knows the pressure is on. Every Star Wars movie is obviously a huge risk everyone takes, but they really know that admittedly, there is a bit of wavering going on at the box office. And they have to knock it out of the park. I'm not saying that TLJ or Solo were franchise-killing or anything of the sort. But Iger knows that if he wants to keep the billions coming in, he not only has to deliver a movie that people 'like'. But that people like enough for them to keep making Star Wars films well into the future. 

And that's why I think IX will be good. 

The problem is it’s following TLJ. Which set up nothing interesting for Episode 9. It is an uphill battle 

10 minutes ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

This is the first I've ever seen Kathleen Kennedy in interviews, and tbh I think she has the same vibe as Hillary Clinton did in 2016. There's something about them that feels very insincere for some reason. (this is not an opening for debates on politics or rants about emails or whatever) 

I can think of something they have in common...

26 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

This is based on the idea that Fans want an inoffensive and sort of unifying direction that the franchise should go and Disney and LF is denying them. This is not the case, the fandom is divided to the point that what they want is seriously all over the place, it might be impossible for EP9 to please even a large proportion of the fanbase. 

Especially considering, EP9 can't just wipe clean TLJ, it has to build on it.

12 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The problem is it’s following TLJ. Which set up nothing interesting for Episode 9. It is an uphill battle 

For sure, I totally see what both of you are saying. All I'm saying is now that Disney/LF has seen that their brand is not invincible, they're obviously going to take all this into account with Episode 9.

Obviously not everyone will be pleased. Star Wars fans are the absolute worst sometimes, and I'm the biggest Star Wars fan I know irl at least. 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Honestly, I doubt IX is going to turn out to be another TLJ aka a fan-polarizing movie. If anything it will be closer to TFA which, while played it relatively safe, satisfied most fans and casual audiences. 

At this point, Disney knows the pressure is on. Every Star Wars movie is obviously a huge risk everyone takes, but they really know that admittedly, there is a bit of wavering going on at the box office. And they have to knock it out of the park. I'm not saying that TLJ or Solo were franchise-killing or anything of the sort. But Iger knows that if he wants to keep the billions coming in, he not only has to deliver a movie that people 'like'. But that people like enough for them to keep making Star Wars films well into the future. 

And that's why I think IX will be good. 

In a way, it doesn't matter if IX is good, it still might lose money, because it'll be a very expensive movie to make and market and might make less than $1B. It needs to bring back the fans lost by TLJ, so weirdly, IX probably needs to reboot the series rather than capstone a trilogy. I've suggested they bring back Luke and give him some really badass scenes, anime powercreep style. KK is learning the hard way she does need to please the core fanbase of Star Wars, oops. You don't see Feige pissing off the fans or completely dropping the ball on fanservice. I give 50/50 odds that KK is fired before they start production on IX, simply because TLJ was THAT damaging, and Solo is the proof.

Edited by Pure Spirit
i'm thirsty
  • Like 1

DP2

5.35 Tue 223.9

3.75 (-30%) 227.65

3.30 (-12%) 230.95

6.10 (+85%) 237.05

8.30 (+36%) 245.35

6.10 (-26%) 251.45

= 20.5 (-53%)

Will need 2.35x the 3rd weekend with these numbers to hit 300 dom.

13 minutes ago, DAJK said:

For sure, I totally see what both of you are saying. All I'm saying is now that Disney/LF has seen that their brand is not invincible, they're obviously going to take all this into account with Episode 9.

Obviously not everyone will be pleased. Star Wars fans are the absolute worst sometimes, and I'm the biggest Star Wars fan I know irl at least. 

Star Wars fans made the prequels a huge success, and they're mostly giving great buzz to Solo, a thoroughly mediocre movie. I think they're easier to please than you think, it's just that TLJ was a middle finger right to the face of them, the metaphors weren't exactly subtle that SW fans need to grow up and get over SW (but also buy the merch and keep watching SW!). The damage control by Disney only made things worse.

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 1

This Rian Johnson character comes off as a big asshole. And this thing that Kennedy producer have “we are going to have women, women, women”, seriously shut the fuck up we have had women leading action films that are a 100000000000 times better than the main character in the new Star Wars films for decades.

I think Solo will catch some legs this weekend.  People didn't want to watch it, but those who did haven't been ripping it.  They have been mostly positive.  That's right...I'm going for a 3rd strike on this one

• Like 1

There cannot be peace without, first, a great suffering. And the greater the suffering, the greater the peace.

Solo, as a product and it's reaction, following up the controversial TLJ 5 months later, was the suffering for Star Wars. Peace to follow.

Edited by OncomingStorm93
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Pure Spirit said:

In a way, it doesn't matter if IX is good, it still might lose money, because it'll be a very expensive movie to make and market and might make less than $1B

This is getting a bit overboard no, how much do you think the budget of Episode 9 will be $500-600m ?

• Thanks 1