baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

I am very haply at those who have chosen to see book club and have subsequently enjoyed it quite a bit. Now I will urge all of you to go seek out adrift and give that a chance as well.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Istealnames said:

It depends on the film distributor securing number of shows. With Bollywood and retaining Hollywood blockbusters they wait till Wednesday to start presales.

I know they usually wait till Wednesday to start presales but for IW/DP2 it started earlier than usual. So I expected the same for JW2 which should be a huge movie in India. 

17 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

You make a good point. I could be talking out of my ass but here goes. Considering 70-80% of the film was reshot I tend to believe the 300mil rumor more than the 250mil one. Mostly because I think that this was never only going to be a 120mil film. LF/Disney were probably, understandably, in full cocky "this is our next billion dollar movie" mode so I doubt that any expense was spared. I doubt they'll be in that mode with the, imho, ill advised Boba Fett project.

I'm with you,   I think it's time for folks no disrespect to @TalismanRing to let this die.   Solo is a huge bomb, what's the debate?  I'm not for fanboy wars.   JL probably lost a lot of money I would guess.  Solo is going to lose money too. 

These sites aren't "credible"  but then suddenly "not credible"  depending on which way the wind is blowing.   Disney has had bombs before,  they have a great track record especially in recent years but they will continue to have bombs just like every other studio and the future of these SW side projects is in question.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I am very haply at those who have chosen to see book club and have subsequently enjoyed it quite a bit. Now I will urge all of you to go seek out adrift and give that a chance as well.

Adrift looks really good. What do you rate it?

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

I might see Adrift tomorrow.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

Most people on here took JL budget "reports"  as facts so why not Solo? Either these sources are reliable or they aren't... 

Regardless of the reliability and bias of the readers, often those sources are a bit reckless into making a distinction between gross production cost and net production cost.

Amazing Spider Man 2 was conformably above 300m also (312m) but after a 48m help became a regular 264m tentpole superhero movie.

Every report that is not clear about that distinction or lump marketing cost without breaking down how much for each, even if reliable will sound has sensationalist and of little use.

Both report could even be truth, considering how little went to the cast salary, the tax return could be impressive Georgia is generous, Disney could very well have spent well north of 300m (say 315m) making this movie, will end up after the audit process finish getting what they estimate now will end up to 60-65m tax credit from all the different jurisdiction for an around 250m net budget (around 20% rebate).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Adrift looks really good. What do you rate it?

9/10

Going blind and completely uninformed. Don't read about what it's based on and don't read any reviews. It'll work so much better that way in my opinion.

24 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Assuming its audience skews fairly old, it could play with very soft holds for weeks and weeks yet. Nothing else is really targeting that demo all summer except maybe Mamma Mia to a lesser degree. It's reminding me of Marigold Hotel if that had ever been in such wide release.  

I love the stereotype of older movie goers.........

And also the implied sterotype that all younger movie goers are interested in only CBM's and other big budget blockbusters and horror movies.

Edited by dudalb

5 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

@baumer since you enjoyed Book Club so much have you watched the series Grace & Frankie on Netflix with Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin?

No I have not. I'm assuming you are saying it is good? And weren't both of them in 9 to 5? So it's a reunion of sorts.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Blast me all you want, but the costs for Solo are nowhere near these $450m or whatever numbers are being thrown out now.  

Also, everyone keeps talking about the marketing costing so much but leaving out that most of the marketing was on Disney owned channels and much of it was paid marketing via Nissan and other companies.  Solo and Star Wars in general virtually has their marketing paid for thorough licensing and sponsorship deals.  Even when you consider production and what costs the most, the effects and sound and post production is all done through companies they own.  

Either way, the movie was too expensive and Disney is going to be much, much more budget aware moving forward. 

Product placement helping world marking is true for most franchise, they still end up spending a fortune on their release, Sony did spent 190m on a world theatrical release of Amazing Spider-Man despite the many product deal. Bond one of the best franchise for product placement, they still spend 150m on that world release.

Has for using your own SFX in house division or placing the ads on your own channel, it still cost you exactly the money you will have made if you would have sold the spot to someone else or your SFX division time to an other studio movie instead. And must be counted in the price of the movie/release, Imagine being the studio that play the superbowl for example and use 30s of airtime for one of your movie it just cost you the amount of money an other company you would have gave to you to advertise their product, maybe tax wise it is a bit advantageous but maybe not.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

No I have not. I'm assuming you are saying it is good? And weren't both of them in 9 to 5? So it's a reunion of sorts.

Yes they were both in it.  I've only watched the first two seasons but it's surprisingly good. 

The offbeat scenario is that two couples have know each other for decades since the husbands are business partners.   The wives though are quite different (society damn v old hippie) and not close.  As they reach retirement the husbands (Martin Sheen & Sam Waterston)  inform their wives they've been lovers for decades and have decided they want to be openly together and want divorces.   Awkwardness and hilarity ensue. 

No seriously,  it's funny but there are also interesting things about starting over at that age for the women (romantically and otherwise), how they become friends and  how to deal with fining out that most of your life has been a lie.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I love the stereotype of older movie goers.........

And also the implied sterotype that all younger movie goers are interested in only CBM's and other big budget blockbusters and horror movies.

Older movie goers attending movies more days after release in average is a true stereotype too:

The AARP study highlighted that older adults also demonstrate distinctive behavior around film release cycles. Movio research has shown this group is significantly less likely than moviegoers under 50 to attend films on opening weekend, with 60-percent of their visits coming after opening weekend, and on average, 15.2 days post-opening.   

https://www.aarp.org/research/topics/life/info-2017/the-50plus-moviegoer.html

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Regardless of the reliability and bias of the readers, often those sources are a bit reckless into making a distinction between gross production cost and net production cost.

Amazing Spider Man 2 was conformably above 300m also (312m) but after a 48m help became a regular 264m tentpole superhero movie.

Every report that is not clear about that distinction or lump marketing cost without breaking down how much for each, even if reliable will sound has sensationalist and of little use.

Both report could even be truth, considering how little went to the cast salary, the tax return could be impressive Georgia is generous, Disney could very well have spent well north of 300m (say 315m) making this movie, will end up after the audit process finish getting what they estimate now will end up to 60-65m tax credit from all the different jurisdiction for an around 250m net budget (around 20% rebate).

After having seen Solo, Solo in on screen for over 85% of the movie. And since we know that Howard reshot the entire performance, that meant that at least 85% of the movie had to be reshot. Guranteed, that sent the budget into the stratosphere. People don't get how damn expensive just shooting a movie is.a single day's delay or shutdown will cost in the ten of thousands of dollars.

Almost everybody is saying 250 Million is the minimum that Solo cost,with the final cost probably considerably higher. And this is just the production cost, it does not include marketing which is carred on a spereate budget. Disney is going to take a bath on Solo, only question is how big it will be. 100 million loss is lowballing it.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Product placement helping world marking is true for most franchise, they still end up spending a fortune on their release, Sony did spent 190m on a world theatrical release of Amazing Spider-Man despite the many product deal. Bond one of the best franchise for product placement, they still spend 150m on that world release.

Has for using your own SFX in house division or placing the ads on your own channel, it still cost you exactly the money you will have made if you would have sold the spot to someone else or your SFX division time to an other studio movie instead. And must be counted in the price of the movie/release, Imagine being the studio that play the superbowl for example and use 30s of airtime for one of your movie it just cost you the amount of money an other company you would have gave to you to advertise their product, maybe tax wise it is a bit advantageous but maybe not.

Yet when NBC has the Superbowl Universal goes hog wild with the trailers in number and length.  Not so much when it airs on non Comcast/Universal owned TV networks

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

90% of all product placement does not involve cash;it more of both the film studio and the other company thinking both would profit from a connection The company from being idenfifed with a hit movie, the studio from tens of millions of dollars worth of free marketing.

The 007 franchise is about the only one that can get away with demanding sizable cash for featuring a product in a movie.