baumer

Weekend Thread....Please read the staff announcement pg 104 (Solo 29.2...DP 23.3...Adrift 11.5)

The only memorable scene in JP2 has nothing to do with dinosaurs. It's when Julianne Moore's falls onto the glass, suspended over a cliff, and it starts cracking. 

I've never been able to finish Hook. Tried 2 or 3 times. 

The first JP is the perfect Summer blockbuster. It has a few flaws here and there, but what's good about it is SO good that it ultimately doesn't matter. 

Edited by La Binoche

4 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

The only memorable scene in JP2 has nothing to do with dinosaurs. It's when Julianne Moore's falls onto the glass, suspended over a cliff, and it starts cracking. 

I've never been able to finish Hook. Tried 2 or 3 times. 

The first JP is the perfect Summer blockbuster. It has a few flaws here and there, but what's good about it is SO good that it ultimately doesn't matter. 

i liked when raptors were invisible while leaving a trail in tall gross as the group was trying to crossover. pretty damn chilling and not much of dinos visible there too apart from the jump scare attacks.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

hook is at 29%. dam i knew it was rotten but not that low.

Wow, that shocks me. Robin Williams' performance and John Williams' score should've been enough to at least get it to 50%, but critics rarely even acknowledge music in their reviews.

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

By that logic The Last Airbender should have been fresh based on James Newton Howard's work alone. But a score can only do so much when the rest of the film is... what it is.

I'm saying on top of Hook's other aspects, not just by the score. Even most people who don't like Hook would agree that its writing and directing is vastly superior to TLA's. But I'm not a fan of Hook either. 

3 minutes ago, arlo said:

Wow, that shocks me. Robin Williams' performance and John Williams' score should've been enough to at least get it to 50%, but critics rarely even acknowledge music in their reviews.

I always thought that Hoffman and Hoskins (R.I.P) along with the score were the reasons to watch Hook.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Jurassic Park 3 is such a weird movie; I've seen people complain about the behavior of the dinosaurs in World, but the ones in 3 are basically psychopathic murderers out to dissect human beings. The Spinosaurus is Jason from Friday the 13th who's ninja stalking skills are impeded by a cell phone in its stomach.

You make JP3 sound more awesome than it really is.

57 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Those movies were hits and both will make more than Solo worldwide. So obviously more people were asking for them than were asking for Solo. 

Thanks to Marvel marketing them (backed by their brand name power) making audiences go from (1) wtf? to (2) who the hell? to (3) OK I want to see this. 

Funny enough it's like STAR WARS back in the day. Nobody at start of 1977 would've predicted throwback space opera/fantasy would be the biggest hit that year and make people realize yeah secretly they've been craving something like this all along and didn't know it. 

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

You're 8 years old and there's nothing to do are the only reasons to watch Hook. 

It's definitely a film that works better when you are a child. I watched it recently and that's what I came away with.

1 minute ago, RRA said:

Thanks to Marvel marketing them (backed by their brand name power) making audiences go from (1) wtf? to (2) who the hell? to (3) OK I want to see this. 

Funny enough it's like STAR WARS back in the day. Nobody at start of 1977 would've predicted throwback space opera/fantasy would be the biggest hit that year and make people realize yeah secretly they've been craving something like this all along and didn't know it. 

Star Wars has brand name power as well and was coming off of 3 billion dollar movies in a row. This film potentially making 60% less than Rogue One seems, in part at the very least, like a case of people just not being interested.

2 minutes ago, A2k Rex said:

Children films sometimes don't stand the test of time. Home Alone and Jumanji are two I still enjoy much from that era.

This...

Partially, because most childrens films are intended to please the audience then and we tend to (in general) find things entertaining on a different level as we age...

However :) we all have our enjoyments - I introduced my 5 year old to Shrek last night :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

This...

Partially, because most childrens films are intended to please the audience then and we tend to (in general) find things entertaining on a different level as we age...

However :) we all have our enjoyments - I introduced my 5 year old to Shrek last night :D

How did (s)he like it? I remember the first glorious time I watched it on dvd back to back over 3 hours.

Edited by A2k Rex
  • Like 1

Solo’s flat at my theatre today from Friday, Deadpool slight increase. But those were off inflated Friday’s due to unusually shitty weather.

Adrift and Book Club are increasing like crazy, especially BC.

• Thanks 1

• Community Manager
9 minutes ago, A2k Rex said:

Children films sometimes don't stand the test of time. Home Alone and Jumanji are two I still enjoy much from that era.

Jumanji is terrible now.