Water Bottle

Ocean's 8 Weekend Thread | O8: 41.5...Solo 15.1...DP2: 13.6...Hereditary: 13.0

4 hours ago, Bobbybuilderton said:

So a typical heist movie, then?

It did't have the same magic as O11.  O11 was good imo from start to finish, this one lacked something.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

O8 is 100% carried on the backs of the performances. Thought the film itself was incredibly slight for an Ocean's or heist film. It didn't really even try to be clever, just very simple and straightforward. Which I wouldn't call a good thing for its genre. Disappointed such a great female ensemble was gathered and not given more to work with. 

You nailed it.  A lot of it just kind of felt like it was going through the motions.....and I can't believe they gave away the Hathaway twist in the trailer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@baumer lacking a bit of pizazz / magic is a great way to describe it. I liked it well enough and my wife wants to see it again, but there isn't anything in it that you haven't seen and if anything, they allowed some people (*cough* HBC *cough*) to just be caricatures of their last few roles, no imagination, other than Bullock being a criminal.

Also, the slight run time - felt long at a couple of places, but - once the heist gets in motion its a nice little film. Will be very curious as to the legs, can't see them being outlandish, but enough to get to 115-120m should be sufficient.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, narniadis said:

@baumer lacking a bit of pizazz / magic is a great way to describe it. I liked it well enough and my wife wants to see it again, but there isn't anything in it that you haven't seen and if anything, they allowed some people (*cough* HBC *cough*) to just be caricatures of their last few roles, no imagination, other than Bullock being a criminal.

Also, the slight run time - felt long at a couple of places, but - once the heist gets in motion its a nice little film. Will be very curious as to the legs, can't see them being outlandish, but enough to get to 115-120m should be sufficient.

And I don't want to get into spoiler territory here so I'll tread lightly, but in O11, even though it was almost impossible to pull it all off, when the did, you believed it.  I felt that there were too many things that had to go right for them to make this one happen and I know you are supposed to suspend disbelief in here but it was a little bit too much of a suspension, imo.

Still enjoyed it but it could have been better.

• Like 2

O8 was screaming mediocre from the trailers. At least it couldn’t be as bad as ghostbusters 2016...right ? I hope this trend of feminizing franchises dies out soon, it’s silly. Create new original films with women , hell the book club seems like a way more honest effort than something like O8. 

You want to support women, make kick ass characters like Sarah Connor and Ripley.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

O8 was screaming mediocre from the trailers. At least it couldn’t be as bad as ghostbusters 2016...right ? I hope this trend of feminizing franchises dies out soon, it’s silly. Create new original films with women , hell the book club seems like a way more honest effort than something like O8. 

You want to support women, make kick ass characters like Sarah Connor and Ripley.

There is widows coming out this year.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

You need to lay off the Women Hate - you've been going at it against O8 for a while now, we get the point.

That being said, you can buy Sandra as the sister and it seems like (to me) an organic extension of the story. The beaten to death issues with Ghostbusters aside (I really like the film, so I am not the person to argue with about it), O8 exists within the same world / franchise and that is one of the strengths.

@baumer - yes, I agree, there was a bit of too much suspension of belief, but I enjoyed it anyways - it entertained me which is all I ask from most of my films.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Saturday numbers? Also It Follows from what I saw was pretty silly, much better than that Spanish horror film about the girl having people killed with the blind nun, that was pure shit. 

The concept is ridiculous, but the movie take good precaution to make it not too bothering as much as it can and the execution is so good

• Like 1

Just now, Pandamia! said:

Hereditary is not going to have good WoM, lololol.

Great movie though

I have no intentions on ever seeing it, but I am loving the very divisive nature of the film.... makes for fun discussion (usually)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Or how about Uma Thurman as the Bride.  Or Charlize Theron as Furiosa.  Or Charlize Theron in Atomic Blonde for that matter.

There have been many great, original and awesome women leads over the decades. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I have no intentions on ever seeing it, but I am loving the very divisive nature of the film.... makes for fun discussion (usually)

It's all fun and games until someone comes to your house with a knife to your throat cuz they didn't agree with your opinion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, narniadis said:

You need to lay off the Women Hate - you've been going at it against O8 for a while now, we get the point.

That being said, you can buy Sandra as the sister and it seems like (to me) an organic extension of the story. The beaten to death issues with Ghostbusters aside (I really like the film, so I am not the person to argue with about it), O8 exists within the same world / franchise and that is one of the strengths.

@baumer - yes, I agree, there was a bit of too much suspension of belief, but I enjoyed it anyways - it entertained me which is all I ask from most of my films.

What ? I don’t think I have made another post about O8 or if I did it would possibly be slightly positive , seriously what the fuck ?🤣

Edited by Thrylos 7
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

O8 exists within the same world / franchise and that is one of the strengths.

I really do not see it, it brought some useless cameo, I guess it changed the dynamic with the James Corden characters.... Could easily been a clean reboot like Ocean 11 was without changing anything.

5 minutes ago, REC said:

Or how about Uma Thurman as the Bride.  Or Charlize Theron as Furiosa.  Or Charlize Theron in Atomic Blonde for that matter.

There have been many great, original and awesome women leads over the decades. 

That was exactly an example of someone feminizing a franchises, just one really well done. 

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

From the reactions I've seen, the cast of O8 is the one part that actually stands out so it seems a little misguided to blame the feminisation of the franchise as to why it's not getting an A+ reception.

Bring back Soderbergh for a sequel and then we'll be cooking.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, narniadis said:

I’d definitely see it, but it may be worth seeing post-theatrical run.

I had an annoying as hell audience.  There were a few people intentionally making sounds to mimic a certain essential sound in the movie.  People complaining, somebody stormed out of the theater right at the end and then it got a loud boo from someone.

Saw it with 5 people, I think I was the only one of the group that liked it, but they were casuals.

• Sad 1