Eric Atreides

In the Heights l Warner Bros. l June 10, 2021 | Lin-Manuel Miranda failed to save us all!

https://deadline.com/2018/06/in-the-heights-movie-lin-manuel-miranda-summer-2020-release-date-1202405627/

After winning the films rights to Lin-Manuel Miranda and Quiara Alegría Hudes’ Tony-winning musical In the Heights in a heated auction for an estimated $50M, Warner Bros. has set a date for the feature adaptation directed by Jon M. Chu of June 26, 2020 in what will be positioned as a mass-appealing family musical prime for four-quad audiences.

At this point no cast is set, but Miranda is producing with the pic being adapted off Hudes’ script and Miranda’s music and lyrics. A decade ago, Miranda starred in the four-Tony-winning Broadway musical in which he played a bodega owner in Washington Heights who strikes it rich and plans to leave, until the pull of the neighborhood and the people in it give him pause.

Deadline co-Editor-in-Chief Mike Fleming reported exclusively and extensively on the extrication process by which Hudes and Miranda publicly demanded and received the In the Heights films rights back from the Weinstein Co. after the Harvey Weinstein scandal broke in October. They wanted the property free of association of Weinstein with Hudes speaking out on social media and Miranda backing her up.

The auction that went down the first week of May between Warners, Fox, Paramount, Sony, Disney, Netflix and Apple entailed the studios receiving an early look at Hudes’ script with respective marketing departments involved in the pitch meetings to describe how they’d promote the film. Several studios dressed up back lots to resemble scenes in the movie.

• Like 2

Oscar Isaac, Gina Rodriguez, Jennifer Lopez (nobody else but Jlo should be Daniela, period), and Rita Moreno as Abuela Claudia...

Hollywood better not whitewash this film with people like Jeremy Jordan and Julianne Hough (I swear to God...)

There is no way I watch this if they come up with the usual "we want stars that can sell this worldwide" crap excuse...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, StevenG said:

Oscar Isaac, Gina Rodriguez, Jennifer Lopez (nobody else but Jlo should be Daniela, period), and Rita Moreno as Abuela Claudia...

Hollywood better not whitewash this film with people like Jeremy Jordan and Julianne Hough (I swear to God...)

There is no way I watch this if they come up with the usual "we want stars that can sell this worldwide" crap excuse...

Given that Miranda is producing this I can guarantee that won't happen.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StevenG said:

I wish Jlo was a better singer but she will definitely be considered for Daniela. I know she is friends with Lin. Rita Moreno for Abuela Claudia is an awesome choice. Hopefully that happens. 

I will have to hear Oscar Isaac and Gina sing. I don't want to just name random latino actors.

Anthony Ramos will def be considered for Usnavi. There is the Lin connection and he just played him  on stage not to long ago and he is the right age. He was also great in She's gotta have it. Unless they want a big star. (I can't think of any young, big latino stars who can sing at the moment though which is kind of unfortunate) 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

I imagine when the film rights to Hamilton are available, they'll be a bidding war!

I'm surprised The Book of Mormon hasn't been made into a film, I think Paramount have first dibs to it due to Trey and Matt's relationship with Comedy Central. 

2 hours ago, ban1o said:

I wish Jlo was a better singer but she will definitely be considered for Daniela. I know she is friends with Lin. Rita Moreno for Abuela Claudia is an awesome choice. Hopefully that happens. 

I will have to hear Oscar Isaac and Gina sing. I don't want to just name random latino actors.

Anthony Ramos will def be considered for Usnavi. There is the Lin connection and he just played him  on stage not to long ago and he is the right age. He was also great in She's gotta have it. Unless they want a big star. (I can't think of any young, big latino stars who can sing at the moment though which is kind of unfortunate) 

If Hollywood nurtured young talent of color with the frequency they normally do with white actors (Jeremy Jordan, Zach Efron, etc.), we would have a young Latino singing star by now.  Diego Boneta, for example, like Efron, is very talented as an actor and a singer, but unlike Efron, he has not gotten that many offers for big budget films. But luckily, this musical itself is the brand that people will be attracted to, and the potential stars (Jlo, for example) will just be added bonuses. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

The eventual Hamilton movie's gonna be the first movie to make $1B DOM.

09162d2b4368f536d3cddd8c7401aba4.gif

I'm actually curious how they would do the Hamilton movie. I wonder if casting POC in the lead roles would translate as well to film 

2 hours ago, StevenG said:

If Hollywood nurtured young talent of color with the frequency they normally do with white actors (Jeremy Jordan, Zach Efron, etc.), we would have a young Latino singing star by now.  Diego Boneta, for example, like Efron, is very talented as an actor and a singer, but unlike Efron, he has not gotten that many offers for big budget films. But luckily, this musical itself is the brand that people will be attracted to, and the potential stars (Jlo, for example) will just be added bonuses. 

diego boneta would actually be a decent choice honestly. 

On the subject of young Latinx actors who can sing and dance, I hope Camila Mendes (Riverdale's Veronica) breaks out.

Also, Naya Rivera better get her shit together again. She was so promising once upon a time.

Edited by Spidey Freak

5 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I imagine when the film rights to Hamilton are available, they'll be a bidding war!

I'm surprised The Book of Mormon hasn't been made into a film, I think Paramount have first dibs to it due to Trey and Matt's relationship with Comedy Central. 

both of those shows would suck as a movie. I haven't seen In the Heights on stage, but from what I can tell, it lends itself to film a lot better than Hamilton would

(Also, that planned for Come from Away film adaptation is also gonna be a mess)

2 hours ago, ban1o said:

I'm actually curious how they would do the Hamilton movie. I wonder if casting POC in the lead roles would translate as well to film 

the fact that you're even discussing shows why a film would be a bad idea

Hamilton without an all PoC cast (besides King George) defeats one of the massive points of it as a work of art. I can't imagine Lin-Manuel Miranda would ever let that happen and thank god no

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ban1o said:

Why wouldn't it?

What would be harder, probably, is translating the depth of the stage direction to film. There's a wonderful thing that the woman who "holds" the bullet in the duel is always facing Hamilton in previous scenes, giving a subtle, visual cue of what is to come. It's the sort of thing that works perfectly for stage, but not so much on screen. (See also things that can work in prose, or in a comic, but not in cinema, or vice versa. Each medium has its own quirks and some things suffer from trying to shift from one to the other.)

Anyway, mostly excited for ItH, although Chu's track record is... rocky. (We'll see how Crazy Rich Asians performs, I suppose.)

• Like 1

i saw in the heights and hamilton on the west end and i liked in the heights better, but right jon chu not exactly an exciting choice. the reason i'm not sure hamilton works as a movie is because... so many of those songs are just people describing exactly what they're doing in that very moment. works on stage where they can't show you the whole deal but in a movie that's annoying.

• Like 1