DeeCee

Hereditary (2018)

Grade it  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

13 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Still haven't seen Donnie Darko but I sure hope Aster's career doesn't go the way of Kelly's. In his shorts he displays a stronger handle on his storytelling craft than here, he just needs to finesse his way with larger narratives. 

weirdly, The Box (underrated!) was a movie i thought of while watching this.

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

Great review.....even if I disagree with everything about it.  :) 

That's fine, and thanks for commenting. We all have our opinions and disagreements. That's part of what makes being a film fan so great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

That's fine, and thanks for commenting. We all have our opinions and disagreements. That's part of what makes being a film fan so great.

Yep, and I'm clearly in the minority on this one.  Everyone seems to be loving it...at least at this site.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

Yep, and I'm clearly in the minority on this one.  Everyone seems to be loving it...at least at this site.

I thought it was a great "slow" horror that really built-up the terror, and was fantastically put-together, but I can understand why somebody wouldn't like the film. It's clearly not for everyone. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

I thought it was a great "slow" horror that really built-up the terror, and was fanastically put-together, but I can understand why somebody wouldn't like the film. It's clearly not for everyone. 

I think my idea of horror differs from many here.  I grew up with a different kind of horror.  I didn't connect with this story at all and I found things like Collette revealing that she sleep walked and had her son covered in paint thinner, to be so outrageoulsy moronic that things that like just took me out of the film.  But clearly, many are loving it, so different strokes and all that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think my idea of horror differs from many here.  I grew up with a different kind of horror.  I didn't connect with this story at all and I found things like Collette revealing that she sleep walked and had her son covered in paint thinner, to be so outrageoulsy moronic that things that like just took me out of the film.  But clearly, many are loving it, so different strokes and all that.

That makes sense. Opinions are often shaped by what kinds of films we watch and enjoy growing-up. I found Collette's sleepwalking to be a nice touch, you didn't, and so on. There's nothing wrong with that. Cinema discussions after all, would be a much more boring if we all shared the same viewpoint on films. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2018 at 4:44 AM, CoolioD1 said:

the director explained the sleepwalking in his AMA. your mileage may vary but i dig it.

N1O2ljx.png?1

It's a good explanation and still I just find it to be so ridiculous in the film that I just can't get into it at all.

On 6/17/2018 at 1:44 PM, CoolioD1 said:

the director explained the sleepwalking in his AMA. your mileage may vary but i dig it.

N1O2ljx.png?1

That's the most interesting theme I got out of the movie, Toni Collette's character is tragic. (cf. The teacher scene). She's a mother that wants to kill her son ever since she's pregnant (that's horrifying especially from the son's POV) but she's actually trying to "save" him from the hex her own batshit crazy witch of a mother put onto her and her offspring by heredity that she can't escape.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

This movie is fantastic. I certainly buy into the hype of it. I'll try not to go over what anyone else has said, but what really got to me was that thin layer of surrealism on the film. The use of the dioramas specifically. Where I'm pretty sure some establishing shots of the house and treehouse were models. That at times even the rooms themselves looked more models than an actual set. Which does make me question how much of what we see is really happening. Yes I do think there is a creepy cult at the end, but how much of the truly supernatural stuff is actually just the fucked interpretation of two very messed up people, Peter and Annie.

My only other thought is whether Peter is actually possessed at the very end. And not, just completely in fucking shock, much like after he accidently killed his sister. He's acting in very much the same kind of way.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

My only other thought is whether Peter is actually possessed at the very end. And not, just completely in fucking shock, much like after he accidently killed his sister. He's acting in very much the same kind of way.

The fact he started making the same exact clucking sound that Charlie did was pretty much a giveaway that Paimon had taken over his body.

33 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The fact he started making the same exact clucking sound that Charlie did was pretty much a giveaway that Paimon had taken over his body.

Or that Peter has just broken that much after everything while staring at the severed head of his sister on a mannequin. It's just another way to read the ending.

Edit: Also, I didn't really read into Charlie being possessed by Paimon at all during the movie, so the clucking, to me, is associated with Charlie and not Paimon.

Edited by RandomCat
  • Like 1

It's good, but I'll echo a lot of what @Jake Gittes is saying. The movie doesn't transition well from drama to horror, and I feel like more time could have been spent on the former. Collette is fantastic even if her character is somewhat flat. I got out of the movie half an hour ago, and the ending is still sticking with me a bit. I'll throw this an 8/10 | B for now.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2018 at 12:54 PM, RandomCat said:

This movie is fantastic. I certainly buy into the hype of it. I'll try not to go over what anyone else has said, but what really got to me was that thin layer of surrealism on the film. The use of the dioramas specifically. Where I'm pretty sure some establishing shots of the house and treehouse were models. That at times even the rooms themselves looked more models than an actual set. Which does make me question how much of what we see is really happening. Yes I do think there is a creepy cult at the end, but how much of the truly supernatural stuff is actually just the fucked interpretation of two very messed up people, Peter and Annie.

This actually matches my interpretation of the events.  I was thinking most of the truly supernatural stuff was an interpretation.

• Like 1