WrathOfHan

Green Book | Limited November 16, Wide November 21 | TIFF Audience Award Winner | Peter Farrelly | Viggo Mortensen, Mahershala Ali

It seems more than a little awkward this is the second year in a row where the TIFF Audience Award winner has come under controversy for how it depicts race relations. Anything in contention for next year that seems like a possible TIFF premiere candidate to complete the trilogy?

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It seems more than a little awkward this is the second year in a row where the TIFF Audience Award winner has come under controversy for how it depicts race relations. Anything in contention for next year that seems like a possible TIFF premiere candidate to complete the trilogy?

Closest example might be Fair and Balanced if Jay Roach makes Megyn Kelly sympathetic :gold:

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Even LA LA LAND faced a bit of scrutiny for all the Jazz stuff. So maybe even the third year.

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

A Star is Born and Roma must be thrilled that other movies have taken the spotlight this awards season (and so easily too) so that no one can paint them in a #problematic light.

Well Gaga has just addressed working with R Kelly and deleting “Do What U Want”. But she handles everything with such class. 

19 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I very much expected A Star is Born to get the most #problematic thinkpieces this season, so I’m pleasantly surprised that this and Bohemian Rhapsody are gaining so much traction and controversy

i don't even know what about a star is born could possibly be controversial? people whining that bradley cooper is too cynical about pop music is the worst i've seen it get.

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i don't even know what about a star is born could possibly be controversial? people whining that bradley cooper is too cynical about pop music is the worst i've seen it get.

I know one place (Vulture, I think) tried a it a few months ago that the movie had a problem with consent but it ended up going nowhere like the “mom from Lady Bird is a bad mother” thinkpieces that no one bought last year.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I know one place (Vulture, I think) tried a it a few months ago that the movie had a problem with consent but it ended up going nowhere like the “mom from Lady Bird is a bad mother” thinkpieces that no one bought last year.

She was a bad mother, but her daughter was an asshole. 

I don’t see the problem with allowing an actress to play a bad mother, it wouldn’t be as interesting if everyone was perfect. 

(Btw I only caught Lady Bird recently and was really let down). 

• Like 1