WrathOfHan

Green Book | Limited November 16, Wide November 21 | TIFF Audience Award Winner | Peter Farrelly | Viggo Mortensen, Mahershala Ali

28 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

yeah, pretend you didn't understand what I meant.

Let s do that.

Or maybe you don't know what s hapenning in CURRENT South Africa since the western media barely reports on it because they know it's not a good ad for identy politics at all.

Realty & facts > Wishful Thinking

Always.

Yeah, the other side should have won because Apartheid was clearly the better option. 

And yes, they are doing land redistribution, just like the US promoted all over Latin America in the 60s! Even the Democratic Alliance doesn't oppose it as long it is with compensation

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAR said:

Here's a novel idea.   How about we let people like or dislike the movies they want without it feeling like it should be a lecture from the opposing view.

The best take. Although this will all blow over soon anyway, like it usually does once awards season ends. For example, when was the last time you heard anyone call La La Land a "white savior" movie since two years ago? You haven't? Ok then.

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The best take. Although this will all blow over soon anyway, like it usually does once awards season ends. For example, when was the last time you heard anyone call La La Land a "white savior" movie since two years ago? You haven't? Ok then.

In fairness that was idiotic and baseless two years ago too.

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

In fairness that was idiotic and baseless two years ago too.

The La La Land backlash is even more hilarious in retrospect tbh. I just wanna know what the guy who wrote that piece about how he's an actor who has auditioned to play nothing but terrorists throughout his whole career and was gonna quite the business if the movie won Best Picture is doing these days.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, AndyK said:

Someone wasn't that impressed at the win.:hahaha:

Oscars 2019: ‘Green Book’ is the worst best picture winner since ‘Crash’

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-oscars-green-book-worst-best-picture-winner-20190224-story.html

I see no lies there^^^

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Theprophet said:

its nice going to the film that focuses more on the positives than movies which really only want to highlight the negatives, its quite regressive. Can't say I've seen Beale street 

Exactly.  You and 85% of the Academy.  Otherwise it would have been in the running for Best Pic, too.  It displays more humanity and love and respect to its African American protagonists than nearly anything else this year, and is technically top-quality filmmaking, too, creative and storied in its influences and choices. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Exactly.  You and 85% of the Academy.  Otherwise it would have been in the running for Best Pic, too.  It displays more humanity and love and respect to its African American protagonists than nearly anything else this year, and is technically top-quality filmmaking, too, creative and storied in its influences and choices. 

I don't really have time to watch everything. If it's the movie I think it is, it looked liked Fruitville Station 

Glad it stayed out of the top 5 for weekend actuals. Should be able to climb to #1 now on the all time never hit top 5 grossers. Also, China OW was crazy huge for this kind of film. Had the highest user rating ever for a Hollywood film on Maoyan (China's Fandango), tied with Coco and Furious 7. WOM is gonna be crazy there. This is shaping up to be not too far removed from something like My Big Fat Greek Wedding for budget to gross ratio. 

Edited by MovieMan89

40 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Glad it stayed out of the top 5 for weekend actuals. Should be able to climb to #1 now on the all time never hit top 5 grossers. Also, China OW was crazy huge for this kind of film. Had the highest user rating ever for a Hollywood film on Maoyan (China's Fandango), tied with Coco and Furious 7. WOM is gonna be crazy there. This is shaping up to be not too far removed from something like My Big Fat Greek Wedding for budget to gross ratio. 

The overseas numbers are crazy for a movie as U.S.-centric as this one is. Viggo and Mahershala are officially global superstars, yo.

the truth is that the sensitive humanist direction that redford brings to ordinary people is rarely the type of filmmaking that gets canonized by the film bros in the same way a hyper masculine film like raging bull does (and i love raging bull not slamming it). that's really the reason people bitch about it winning. i always see people complain about that one but don't often see arguments against the film itself.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 5