WrathOfHan

Green Book | Limited November 16, Wide November 21 | TIFF Audience Award Winner | Peter Farrelly | Viggo Mortensen, Mahershala Ali

15 hours ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

Yikes at this film winning.

Academy LOVES their white savior films.

Yeah, it is unfortunate, but is it surprising?

Hollywood is Hollywood...hopelessly white, old, male, and in love with their own outdated idea of racial politics.

Between a film that centers black excellence, black accomplishments, black power, and an unapologectically black cast of characters (Black Panther)...and a film that sloppily attempts tell the story of a black man by focusing and propping up a racist white dude who becomes a little less racist at the end (GB)...of course they are going to choose the White Savior narrative. That is what makes them (Hollywood power elite) feel better about themselves. Black Panther is the better film BY FAR, but it's just "too black" and too proud of it for the Oscar voters. 

5 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Hollywood is Hollywood...hopelessly white, old, male, and in love with their own outdated idea of racial politics.

Between a film that centers black excellence, black accomplishments, black power, and an unapologectically black cast of characters (Black Panther)...and a film that sloppily attempts tell the story of a black man by focusing and propping up a racist white dude who becomes a little less racist at the end (GB)...of course they are going to choose the White Savior narrative. That is what makes them (Hollywood power elite) feel better about themselves. Black Panther is the better film BY FAR, but it's just "too black" and too proud of it for the Oscar voters. 

I'm pretty sure people are more upset about BlacKkKlansman losing to Green Book (especially after Spike Lee's comments), not Black Panther.

Great conversation about Green Book here starting around the 17:45 mark:

Now this discussion I can get behind. I don't necessarily agree with some of the views, but I understand where they're coming from on it. And no one is devolving to calling the movie something it isn't (i.e racist) like some posters here have heavily been implying or outright saying in the Oscar thread. And once again, Dan Murrell absolutely nails it for me. 

• Knock It Off 1

40 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm pretty sure people are more upset about BlacKkKlansman losing to Green Book (especially after Spike Lee's comments), not Black Panther.

It is still absolutely absurd that, in a year that gave us BlackKKKlansman, Black Panther, and If Beale Street Could Talk,   Hollywood's Old Guard of Decrepit White Men decides that the best film about black people is...Green Book. But again, not surprising....

• Like 1

Just now, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

It is still absolutely absurd that, in a year that gave us BlackKKKlansman, Black Panther, and If Beale Street Could Talk,   Hollywood's Old Guard of Decrepit White Men decides that the best film about black people is...Green Book. But again, not surprising....

Last year's Best Picture winner was a fantasy film about fish-fucking. Something "casual" had to follow that up, I guess.

33 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Great conversation about Green Book here starting around the 17:45 mark:

Now this discussion I can get behind. I don't necessarily agree with some of the views, but I understand where they're coming from on it. And no one is devolving to calling the movie something it isn't (i.e racist) like some posters here have heavily been implying or outright saying in the Oscar thread. And once again, Dan Murrell absolutely nails it for me. 

Once the writer supports Trump it's not hard to make a jump to that.

6 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Black Klansman never had any Oscar buzz upon initial release and now people are shocked it wasn't a favorite? Black Panther was also never walking away with a Best Picture, but it still got 3 Oscars.

its nice going to the film that focuses more on the positives than movies which really only want to highlight the negatives, its quite regressive. Can't say I've seen Beale street 

Edited by Theprophet

6 hours ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Oscars have been pretty diverse this year, hell they've been diverse the last few years. 12YAS in 2013, Moonlight in 2016. almost half the Oscars this year either went to a Mexican or person of color. All this complaining just makes it seem you want them to not just be diverse, but to give special treatment. Green Book was a nicer film to watch than Black Panther, its no surprise it won. 

25 minutes ago, Theprophet said:

Ive been following box office for a while now but never had the courage to actually create an account but here we go.

I must say I'm glad this movie won, it was a delight and a surprise for me, best feel good movie of the year. 

Welcome to the forums. Have your first Like on the house.

2 hours ago, Theprophet said:

its nice going to the film that focuses more on the positives than movies which really only want to highlight the negatives, its quite regressive. Can't say I've seen Beale street 

You're right. We really need more movies that focus on the feel-good side of racism. Because that's what's truly important, right?[/sarcasm mode]

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rukaio101 said:

You're right. We really need more movies that focus on the feel-good side of racism. Because that's what's truly important, right?[/sarcasm mode]

Well imo I think its good to make films that look at racism in a more real way, but if in the end people like watching The Blind Side Over Precious, that is just how the cookie crumbles. 

6 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

The path you loonies are advocating leads straight to current South Africa.

A place where the progressists/anti racists/post-modernists/lefties won.

Stunning results.

Edited by The Futurist

I don't expect there to be any extra feel good movies just because Green Book won.

Feel good movies tend to show up as an A+ in the cinemascore

I guess challenging or unhealthy movies have an uphill battle to climb with awards votes

Edited by Slave Animal Rights

10 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

Im sorry but this is just plain bullshit. i watched Black Panther and accepted white people all being labelled colonists, unable to even share an opinion in the world of Wakanda. I enjoyed and jumped on the 'villain was so great' bandwagon despite him literally having no reason to want to give 'the oppressed' the tools to fight for themselves. I ignored the fact that it was killmongers own kind that killed his father and left him an as orphan whilst white people gave him the opportunity to work for the CIA (which takes high qualifications to accomplish, something oppressed people wouldn't have) and i was able to put these nitpicks behind me and see the movie in cinemas twice and have a great time.

Now for the love of god let me enjoy Green Book without feeling guilty, please. We have come a long way in 50 years, there's still a further way to go and i enjoyed watching a movie which deals with more relevant racism we see today than films like Black Klansman which are really just highlighting how terrible a very tiny fraction of society is. 

• Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, Theprophet said:

Im sorry but this is just plain bullshit. i watched Black Panther and accepted white people all being labelled colonists, unable to even share an opinion in the world of Wakanda. I enjoyed and jumped on the 'villain was so great' bandwagon despite him literally having no reason to want to give 'the oppressed' the tools to fight for themselves. I ignored the fact that it was killmongers own kind that killed his father and left him an as orphan whilst white people gave him the opportunity to work for the CIA (which takes high qualifications to accomplish, something oppressed people wouldn't have) and i was able to put these nitpicks behind me and see the movie in cinemas twice and have a great time.

Now for the love of god let me enjoy Green Book without feeling guilty, please. We have come a long way in 50 years, there's still a further way to go and i enjoyed watching a movie which deals with more relevant racism we see today than films like Black Klansman which are really just highlighting how terrible a very tiny fraction of society is. 

Okay 1) Congratulations on completely missing the point and subtext of Black Panther, 2) Congratulations on completely missing the point and subtext of Killmonger's character, motivations and arc, 3) it takes a really 'impressive' person to look at Killmonger's actions in the CIA where his job was specifically mentioned as deliberately destablising African nations for the CIA's gain and go 'Hey, white people gave him the opportunity for a really great job, guess that means racism can't be that bad!', 4) if you're complaining that people keep making you feel guilty for enjoying Green Book, then have you considered that maybe it's the film's fault for having stupid stuff in it? Oh, and finally, 5) Congratulations on missing the point and subtext of BlacKkKlansman.

17 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The path you loonies are advocating leads straight to current South Africa.

A place where the progressists/anti racists/post-modernists/lefties won.

Stunning results.

Person: "Hey, maybe being 'feel-good' shouldn't be the priority when telling stories about real-life racism?"

Futurist: "YOU WANT US ALL TO LIVE IN VENEZUALA, YOU COMMUNIST!"

Seems like a reasonable leap to me.

18 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Nick Vallelonga's next movie sounds like it's being made directly for those who thought "hmm, Viggo's stereotypical Italian American family in Green Book could've used a whole movie built around in them."

https://deadline.com/2018/12/green-book-nick-vallelonga-thats-amore-directing-gene-kirkwood-1202524126/

13 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

Okay 1) Congratulations on completely missing the point and subtext of Black Panther, 2) Congratulations on completely missing the point and subtext of Killmonger's character, motivations and arc, 3) it takes a really 'impressive' person to look at Killmonger's actions in the CIA where his job was specifically mentioned as deliberately destablising African nations for the CIA's gain and go 'Hey, white people gave him the opportunity for a really great job, guess that means racism can't be that bad!', 4) if you're complaining that people keep making you feel guilty for enjoying Green Book, then have you considered that maybe it's the film's fault for having stupid stuff in it? Oh, and finally, 5) Congratulations on missing the point and subtext of BlacKkKlansman.

Person: "Hey, maybe being 'feel-good' shouldn't be the priority when telling stories about real-life racism?"

Why can't it be feel good? why must every movie about racism focus on the absolute worst of it, most of whom alive now had no part of? what is that really going to achieve?

To be given that CIA job in the first place he will have needed a high tier of education and opportunity before being set out on their missions. The film didn't even bother to show how he was oppressed in any way. But anyways I'm not going to sit and argue with you about 2 films i liked, i dont see the benefit in it. If you didnt like Green Book? cool, that's your opinion. i didn't see anything stupid with Green Book, everyone around me loved it, social media for once is actually saying the oscars got it right for a change, i guess there always going to be a few haters with loud opinions, luckily most people wont listen to you and get on with enjoying what they want to enjoy. The only backlash I've actually seen on social media with Green Books win is with a few people that felt Bohemian Rhapsody deserved the award. 

So again, congrats Green Book on a deserved best picture win, certainly better than last years winner in my opinion.

Just seen your Anime Avatar, all makes sense now

Edited by Theprophet

18 minutes ago, rukaio101 said:

yeah, pretend you didn't understand what I meant.

Let s do that.

Or maybe you don't know what s hapenning in CURRENT South Africa since the western media barely reports on it because they know it's not a good ad for identy politics at all.

Realty & facts > Wishful Thinking

Always.

Edited by The Futurist