A Marvel Fanboy

Tron: Ares | October 10, 2025 | Jared Leto to star, Joachim Ronning to direct

Did you read the comments around this or well anything where fanatics don't get their way? Its all setting up boycotts and they will never see a movie produced by that studio again and calling every exec some form of idiots. If that is not entitlement I am not sure what is. We are talking about pieces of entertainment and for Tron 3 not exactly a deep form of entertainment at that.

I'm not talking about diehard fans specifically and of course I dont advocate boycotts or being rude but I'm sure not every person who wants a sequel or signs a petition feels they're entitled to it. Imo the majority are just people who liked the movie and want to see the story carry on.

The arguments in support of Tron 3's cancellation are flimsier than a wet paper bag.

I see many users supporting the cancellation of this film also have supported some odd-ball or indie films that nobody really wants or cares about, yet these users believe those films should be made, and not Tron 3. The irony is strong here.

Tron: Legacy had decent home video sales, and also many are forgetting that Tron: Legacy had spectacular soundtrack sales. We're talking near-historic sales for a movie soundtrack. Disney obviously got a cut of those profits, since it was released on Disney's label. The argument that Tron: Legacy didn't make a profit for Disney is spurious at best.

So just to be crystal clear; Legacy CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be compared to other films like Tomorrowland or John Carter. Aside from the fact that Tomorrowland won't match Legacy's worldwide gross (and neither did John Carter), Legacy had the big wild card of superb soundtrack sales.

There are no good factual reasons for the cancellation of Tron 3, other than Disney has gone overboard with greed, plain and simple.

Edited by Gonk
  • Like 1

So Disney got to greenlight another costly Tron sequel just because of its soundtrack, that would be the most expensive music video then... :mellow::unsure: (Good grief, fans are not in charge)

Oh cmon, Disney proved a long time ago that they are absolutely incapable of breking out from their ALL-FRANCHISE formula. Thats the reason other studios will always beat them, despite them having the biggest franchises. 

• Like 2

Well if Disney had gone overboard with greed, they'd announce a Tron cinematic universe not cancel a sequel that could be profitable especially if you feel Legacy was.

Not quite ;).

It's quite clear that Disney right now is only making films that yield the maximum possible box office, home video, and toy sales. That's what I mean by overboard with greed. They're going for massive profits only. If it's a film that has a chance only to make a small profit, it seems like Disney is no longer interested in that.

Once again going overboard with greed would be by definition to go for massive and small profits.

I guess we can agree to disagree then heh :). Maybe I'm not using the best terms here, but I hope my point is there.

Oh cmon, Disney proved a long time ago that they are absolutely incapable of breking out from their ALL-FRANCHISE formula. Thats the reason other studios will always beat them, despite them having the biggest franchises. 

Tron is not a franchise? If they were "ALL FRANCHISE" we would have a Tron trilogy by now and countless spin-offs. They actually did an animated series spin-off and it got poor ratings so it got canceled. What more should they do? Tron was supposed to be a super franchise like Star Wars, it didn't pan out considering the low return on investments compared to production budget and marketing costs. Tron franchise had its chance, twice.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 2

The arguments in support of Tron 3's cancellation are flimsier than a wet paper bag.

I see many users supporting the cancellation of this film also have supported some odd-ball or indie films that nobody really wants or cares about, yet these users believe those films should be made, and not Tron 3. The irony is strong here.

Tron: Legacy had decent home video sales, and also many are forgetting that Tron: Legacy had spectacular soundtrack sales. We're talking near-historic sales for a movie soundtrack. Disney obviously got a cut of those profits, since it was released on Disney's label. The argument that Tron: Legacy didn't make a profit for Disney is spurious at best.

So just to be crystal clear; Legacy CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be compared to other films like Tomorrowland or John Carter. Aside from the fact that Tomorrowland won't match Legacy's worldwide gross (and neither did John Carter), Legacy had the big wild card of superb soundtrack sales.

There are no good factual reasons for the cancellation of Tron 3, other than Disney has gone overboard with greed, plain and simple.

Tron did not do great on home video.  For being a niche fan type movie it really should have done a lot better then it did. 

Its soundtrack did good but it did not do anything close to near historic sales for a movie soundtrack.  The Glee soundtrack from 2010 sold almost 3 times as many copies.  It was not one of the top 40 selling albums in either 10 or 11.  The soundtrack for the Bodyguard for example sold more then twice as many copies in 1 week then TL soundtrack sold in total.

• Like 2

So Pacific Rim is getting a sequel. Pacific Rim. And Tron Legacy is not. I'm not sure who looks worse in this comparison, Universal for giving a green light to Pacific Rim 2, or Disney for red lighting Tron 3.

Tron did not do great on home video.  For being a niche fan type movie it really should have done a lot better then it did. 

Its soundtrack did good but it did not do anything close to near historic sales for a movie soundtrack.  The Glee soundtrack from 2010 sold almost 3 times as many copies.  It was not one of the top 40 selling albums in either 10 or 11.  The soundtrack for the Bodyguard for example sold more then twice as many copies in 1 week then TL soundtrack sold in total.

Baloney. Legacy soundtrack sold over 1 million copies. I don't know the exact numbers, but it's likely several million. Selling over 1 million movie soundtrack CDs is VERY rare. Movie soundtracks by their very nature are almost always poor sellers.

Instead of accepting my point that the soundtrack was a good seller, you turned it into some nonsensical argument.

Baloney. Legacy soundtrack sold over 1 million copies. I don't know the exact numbers, but it's likely several million. Selling over 1 million movie soundtrack CDs is VERY rare. Movie soundtracks by their very nature are almost always poor sellers.

Instead of accepting my point that the soundtrack was a good seller, you turned it into some nonsensical argument.

No it didn't.  It sold less then 700k in the US. 

Lol, Tron 2 made $400m WW, how is this a flop?

A 170 million dollar budget.  While not a flop it was not exactly a hit.  No one in the cast except Jeff Bridges has done anything since the movie was released.  There is nothing at all to indicate that the next one will make more money and there really is not much they can cut to lower the budget enough.

Disney called this cancellation 100% correctly for two very strong and interrelated reasons.

1. Tron was crap

2. Tron Legacy was crap

Honestly, I like Tron, though I will acknowledge that the movie is paper-thin.

Tron Legacy wasn't very good though. So I wasn't down for Tron 3 precisely because it was going to be a sequel to Tron LEGACY.

Edited by TServo2049

No it didn't.  It sold less then 700k in the US. 

A 170 million dollar budget.  While not a flop it was not exactly a hit.  No one in the cast except Jeff Bridges has done anything since the movie was released.  There is nothing at all to indicate that the next one will make more money and there really is not much they can cut to lower the budget enough.

I'm talking worldwide sales, not just US. US is not the whole world.

Plenty of OTHER questionable films are getting sequels. This is not. Facts are facts. Lame films like Pacific Rim are getting a sequel. Also financially speaking, as much as I loved Fury Road, comparing worldwide gross to budget, Fury Road hasn't done any better than Legacy, yet it too, is getting a sequel. The other difference being Pacific Rim and Fury Road have had much lower soundtrack sales as well.