sfran43

Monday's Numbers:

so far, everything feels like it is up vs similar Monday in 2012 & 2007.  Ocean's 8 was up 0.2m on Sunday over Friday.  Hereditary was up about 73k Sunday over Friday and TAG with ~ 1.5.  either 40ish% drops from overinflated Sunday or Friday was a low jump from Wed and Thurs.  Makes the chances of Jurassic World hitting 10M maybe about 5-6% instead of 2-3% IMO.  Should be a close battle around 9 million with Incredibles 2.

https://www.the-numbers.com/daily-box-office-chart

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
- (5) Ocean’s 8 Warner Bros. $1,385,000 -47% 3,426 $404   $116,389,842 25
- (6) Tag Warner Bros. $1,005,000 -47% 3,176 $316   $42,138,539 18
- (11) Hereditary A24 $425,975 -43% 1,424 $299   $39,832,539 25
- (-) First Reformed A24 $28,204 -46% 118 $239   $3,150,439 46
- (-) Show Dogs Global Road $14,235 -40% 146 $98   $17,451,208 46
- (-) Hotel Artemis Global Road $3,237 -41% 35 $92   $6,638,497 25

28 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Ocean's 8 likely will be WB's highest grossing film domestically this year until The Nun unless Crazy Rich Asians breaks out. 

I think Crazy Rich Asians will be the sleeper hit of Summer 2018. I just get a We're the Millers vibe from WB releasing it on a Wed (if they didn't think it'd be a crowdpleaser, why let WOM kill its OW?) and there hasn't been a breakout comedy in some time. I also think the all-Asian main cast will bring out an audience that doesn't normally go to the theater en masse (like Wonder Woman, Black Panther, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, etc.). 

It may not (likely won't because of Happytime Murders the following week) reach $150 million DOM, but $100 million DOM definitely seems plausible with good WOM and the Labor Day frame its 3rd weekend. 

26 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

OS isn't as strong but I think WB will acknowledge that the World Cup was a factor although it's done better in many markets compared to the previous two films. I think if they do Ocean's 9, they should release it in November or December rather than June. 

How is the WC an issue for a female-driven film and not an issue for something like JW2 ? O8 overseas problem has nothing to do with the WC, people don’t care about the concept and are more than happy to just rewatch the previous ocean’s films at home plus they don’t really care about the “cause” of this film just like they didn’t care for ghostbusters2016 .

Edited by Thrylos 7

14 minutes ago, mahnamahna said:

I think Crazy Rich Asians will be the sleeper hit of Summer 2018. I just get a We're the Millers vibe from WB releasing it on a Wed (if they didn't think it'd be a crowdpleaser, why let WOM kill its OW?) and there hasn't been a breakout comedy in some time. I also think the all-Asian main cast will bring out an audience that doesn't normally go to the theater en masse (like Wonder Woman, Black Panther, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, etc.). 

It may not (likely won't because of Happytime Murders the following week) reach $150 million DOM, but $100 million DOM definitely seems plausible with good WOM and the Labor Day frame its 3rd weekend. 

I'll be curious to see what the budget is for CRA, if it's fairly cheap at say $25-30m then it's going to be profitable from domestic alone

8 minutes ago, Thrylos 7 said:

How is the WC an issue for a female-driven film and not an issue for something like JW2 ? O8 overseas problem has nothing to do with the WC, people don’t care about the concept and are more than happy to just rewatch the previous ocean’s films at home plus they don’t really care about the “cause” of this film just like they didn’t care for ghostbusters2016 .

Never mind. Not even worth arguing. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 4

Going to be a great week for the hold-overs, particularly since there isn't a Spiderman '12 and Transformers '07 to cripple the theater counts this week.

All that being said, Tuesday increases will definitely be muted, but I am not sure by how much - probably in the 10-15% range for most films instead of the 25-45 we are used to seeing. Combination of extended holidays in the states (more people off) and the Canadians (big Tuesday crowds) coming off a Monday holiday.

That Thursday drop though will be rough - those not paying attention to the week will be screaming for sure LOL.

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Going to be a great week for the hold-overs, particularly since there isn't a Spiderman '12 and Transformers '07 to cripple the theater counts this week.

All that being said, Tuesday increases will definitely be muted, but I am not sure by how much - probably in the 10-15% range for most films instead of the 25-45 we are used to seeing. Combination of extended holidays in the states (more people off) and the Canadians (big Tuesday crowds) coming off a Monday holiday.

That Thursday drop though will be rough - those not paying attention to the week will be screaming for sure LOL.

One can only hope CRUMBLING is brought out again for JW

• Like 1

Hereditary will probably go from 1,424 theaters to 1,000 on Wednesday when Purge 4 opens.  Then it might go down to 500 theaters two days later.

I checked to see if Hereditary is running on HD yet with the free streaming, but it is not.  A Quiet Place is in HD though, but unfortunately there is not much playing on HD that is still in release right now.  Therefore your forced to go to the theater.  Streaming on PC is nice, but it is just more registration and passwords.

International Totals

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Universal) -- $56.1 M Weekend / $667.6 M Total Gross
Incredibles 2 (Disney) -- $44.3 M Weekend / $207.1 M Total Gross
Sanju (Fox Star) -- $22.97 M Weekend / $22.97 M Total Gross
Ocean’s 8 (Warner Bros.) -- $14.4 M Weekend / $95.7 M Total Gross
Sicario: Day of the Soldado (Lionsgate / Sony) -- $8.4 M Weekend / $8.4 M Total Gross
Solo: A Star Wars Story (Disney) -- $6.1 M Weekend / $161.6 M Total Gross
Tag (Warner Bros.) -- $3.8 M Weekend / $7.6 M Total Gross
Deadpool 2 (Fox) -- $3.24 M Weekend / $409.19 M Total Gross
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (Sony) -- $1.9 M Weekend / $1.9 M Total Gross
Love, Simon (Fox) -- $1.60 M Weekend / $22.07 M Total Gross
Truth or Dare (Universal) -- $1.1 M Weekend / $51.9 M Total Gross
A Quiet Place (Paramount) -- $142.7 M Total Gross
Sherlock Gnomes (Paramount) -- $44.9 M Total Gross
Life of the Party (Warner Bros.) -- $10.4 M Total Gross

1 hour ago, mathemetrics said:

Hereditary will probably go from 1,424 theaters to 1,000 on Wednesday when Purge 4 opens.  Then it might go down to 500 theaters two days later.

I checked to see if Hereditary is running on HD yet with the free streaming, but it is not.  A Quiet Place is in HD though, but unfortunately there is not much playing on HD that is still in release right now.  Therefore your forced to go to the theater.  Streaming on PC is nice, but it is just more registration and passwords.

It won't drop two thirds of its theaters with how strong the PTA holds have been. 

Deadpool is 5% less than last Monday. I'm sure with kids being out of school now that obviously helps but I'm pretty sure the Canadian holiday being yesterday coupled with the extreme heat wave in the eastern part of the US and the southern part of Canada also helped a lot. These are some great numbers that have been reported so far.