baumer

Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018)

Grade it  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Fun film, with a lot of really enjoyable scenes. But it never really rises above the enjoyableness of those scenes, leading to a disjointed feeling of odd pacing. It almost felt like it was running on autopilot. Here's a joke, here's a reference, here's some action, and a dollop of pathos. Okay, we're good.

While the MCU as a whole has a sort of TV series feeling at this point, this might be the most mid-season filler episode movie of them all. It's got all the technical polish of the series, but there's never really any hook. Still, it's probably on par with IW in terms of being a fun time at the movies. And in much the same way, A&W will probably fade from memory about the same, too.

It's a movie that happened, and it was fun, but that's about it.

I laughed harder at the fade in the mid-credits scene than anything else in the film.

3/5

• Like 1

This movie is definition of mediocre film; it was a really generic superhero film. Not bad but definitely not good.The jokes did not land that well with me either, and it kind of bothered me they continued to  use drunk histories technique(story telling by pena with other actors acting it out) in all the antman movies. 

The last post credit scene was so pointless people were loudly pissed they waited for that BS.

C+/B-

Edited by YLF
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, YLF said:

This movie is definition of mediocre film; it was a really generic superhero film. Not bad but definitely not good.The jokes did not land that well with me either, and it kind of bothered me they continued to  use drunk histories technique(story telling by pena with other actors acting it out) in all the antman movies. 

The last post credit scene was so pointless people were loudly pissed they waited for that BS.

C+/B-

Was there a credit scene after the snap?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Was there a credit scene after the snap?

Yes, the credit scene with the snap was the mid credits scene. There is another one  after all the credits finish

• Like 1

This was on par with the first Ant-Man for me. Fun and refreshingly low-stakes but too inconsequential to rank among the best of the MCU. Enjoyed Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, and Michael Douglas again along with Michelle Pfeiffer in her brief screentime. Michael Pena's Luis needs his own spin-off, though. B

Regarding the end credits scenes:

Spoiler

The camera cutting back to reveal Hope, Hank, and Janet had all turned to dust was legit shocking to me. And is it too much to hope that giant ant gets a big part in the next Avengers movie lol.

Grade: B 

I ended up seeing this twice in the span of about 18 hours, that was not the plan but I don't regret doing so. It only solidifies my feeling of giving the movie a strong B score.

Paul Rudd as Lang is fantastic and as good a casting call as they've made with other leads. I like Evangeline and she plays Hope well, who doesn't have a direct comic counterpart so grading her performance is done in a vacuum to others. I wish we could've gotten young Pym and Janet stories cause I could feel the chemistry with Douglas and Pfeiffer. Again, how can the VFX houses de-age them so great and LucasArts gave us crappy Tarkin and Leia's? How does that happen? Kudos for once again making me think I'm actually seeing a young Douglas, Pfeiffer and Fishburne.

Glad to see that they didn't make Fishburne's Foster into an out&out bad guy. A fan theory going around as they made Ghost female cause they likely were going to reveal she was his daughter. Thereby having an "opposite" situation with Pym/Hope. However, since that didn't turn out to be the case they changed Ghost's gender just cause they could. The purist in me is always annoyed by that but I guess they wanted Hope and her fighting and liked that pairing better. 

The supporting cast once again delivers from Pena's Louis and the crew to ex-wife and Cassie. I tell you what I'm going to miss Abby Ryder Fortson as Cassie. Being a dad with a daughter that scene in her bedroom discussing who his partner could be got a reaction from not only me but a few folks around me. Low, discreet audible "Ahhs" could be heard. I mean I guess she could be in Ant-Man 3 but I've read the casting news in Avengers 4 so we'll see soon enough. 

The things that really keep it out of the A category for me are that the thug gang led by Burch(Goggins) never feel like a serious enough threat. We also never learn who they are working for at all. Is it Hydra, A.I.M, Roxxon or even Darren Cross(Yellowjacket) somehow? 
That Ghost isn't really evil or bad, her goal is self-preservation and that stress had made her a bit much to handle. This Ghost was a 'Thunderbolt' before the MCU has actually revealed that to be a thing. The last, last credit stinger is actually seen in the trailers, such a disappointment. I don't always expect that scene to be crucial(Spider-man: Homecoming) but be unseen at least. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The movie’s fine, fairly fun and forgettable.  I enjoyed it, but it’s one of the more disposable MCU movies (and there’s quite a few disposable MCU films)

While I’d say it has a better structure and pace than Infinity War, I’d see IW again over this in a heartbeat because that movie has some really great moments that mostly overpower its flaws.  This one is kind of a static level of feeling entertained.

C+\B-

Edited by Pandamia!

Marvel you beauty never seem to disappoint me (Except for SMH).

Loved it! Entertainment at its best from start till the end. No boring moments and mixture of humour, action and emotion seems to have worked well for this one. 

Second post credit scene gave me goosebumps! Eagerly waiting for AIW2!!!! 

Better than first part imo.

8.5/10 

A real dud.

That opening. Dear lord. That is how not to open a movie. Really can't believe Feige let that pass.

Douglas couldn't be less interested.

Lilly and Rudd are fine as teammates, but their 'love' scenes are awkward.

Really bland set-pieces that never end.

Pfeiffer literally invented acting in her last comic book movie, and this is the role she gets?

Lilly is definitely...there. I wanted to love Wasp, but the movie never gave me a reason to.

The movie is really awkwardly structured around Rudd so that all the other characters get the 'drama'. I feel like Rudd would be more than capable with a decent director.

Major sequelitis in general - people liked Luis in the last one, so let's contrive that he's everywhere, always. People liked that Scott got on with his ex's new husband, so let's make him some inhuman 'buddy!' machine.

Beck's score is a major step-down from the first - he wrote a brilliant theme for Wasp that he never gets to use.

There's a scene between Rudd and his daughter that sums the whole movie up. It's kinda cute, kinda fun, but just... false. None of it feels real. That's always been the strength of the MCU - even with lesser entries.

Worst of the MCU.

• Like 2

Ant-Man and the Wasp is probably the best possible movie one could get with the crew involved with it. The filmmaking is still pedestrian, but it moves quickly, is never really boring, and features an incredibly charming cast. I’d single-out cast members, but honestly, more than ever, there isn’t a standout; everyone is really great at the roles they have, and we get just enough of every one of them to be happy they were here (this said, if Randall Park does not return for the inevitable third Ant-Man movie, I will be sorely disappointed).

The plot structure is actually innovative for a blockbuster; this is the closest we’ve got to a hang-out superhero movie ever. The action is exciting, and the only time the lack of visual flare helps; showing the shrinking and growing in basic filmmaking allows you to forget how bizarre this is until you think about it, allowing it to be digestible in the moment and mindblowing when you realize how much thought had to be put into it to make sense. The third act sings, cutting through multiple action sequences and one phenomenal car chase to be one of the most grin-inducing moments of this year’s superhero movies.

Ant-Man and the Wasp marks a massive improvement on the first film, escaping the previous “superhero heist” generic plot and replacing it with a wholly new idea: a superhero movie without a central villain. This allows the characters and the action to flow in a way like never before and allows this to be one breezy experience. A surprisingly fun and joyful time at the movie theater, and one that, unlike the first movie, will leave audiences very hungry for more. B

BURN DOWN YOUR FUCKING HOUSE AND GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The ashes will be there when you get back.

Ant-Man and the Wasp is greatest comic movie since just Ant-Man.

DO YOU WANNA SEE EVANGELINE LILLY NAKED!?! Of course you do! Ant-Man and the Wasp are fully nude in graphic mind bending, special effect laden sex scenes. She shows it all....

DO YOU WANNA SEE OTHER MARVEL CHARACTERS!?! Of course you do, ass. This movie features appearances by the Dazzler, the Scarlet Spiderman, Grottu, Awesome Android, Star Fox, Man-thing, and Moon Boy. They all fucking die.

DO YOU WANNA SEE ANTS!?! This movie is full of ants, ants eating people alive, tiny people having sex with ants, people shooting ants with lasers, ants shooting people with lasers, ants enslaving the earth, ants killing the Avengers, ants becoming the dominate species, SO MANY FUCKING ANTS.

I can't until Dawn of the rise of the battle of the Planet of Ants.

• Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 1