WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

Just now, CJohn said:

You guys are acting like if Teen Titans is gonna open well at all. It will be lucky to pull a 15M OW IMO.

I don't disagree with this, but it's still direct competition. If WOM is meh among families for HT3, that's all the more reason for a bad hold.

Just now, CJohn said:

You guys are acting like if Teen Titans is gonna open well at all. It will be lucky to pull a 15M OW IMO.

It's still family competition.  A 15M OW is still $15M worth of money not going to Hotel Transylvania 3.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

It's going sub-100M or just barely over.  After seeing it, I doubt families are gonna eat this up.  It's standard kids fare that's entertaining for an hour and a half but you forget after leaving the theater.  This would normally be just fine, but Incredibles 2 is still out, Teen Titans Go is in 2 weeks, and Christopher Robin is the week after that.  No one will care enough.

Forgot about those, but I can honestly see all 3 doing well but legs for HT3 won’t be strong.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

The success of these docs shows there's an audience out there who wants to see stuff that's not about stupid ants, wasps, spiders, roaches, whatever. Too bad studios are not interested in servicing that audience. 

If they weren't, there wouldn't be like three or four docs out here that are doing really solid numbers right now. That means that studios ARE investing in them and they're having success. Plenty of it. Just because you're not getting Fahrenheit 9/11 type hits, doesn't mean that the doc genre isn't doing as well as it can right now, because Fahrenreit 9/11 type hits are an extreme anomaly. And why wouldn't studios service audiences with stupid ants and wasps if they fucking want to see stupid wants and wasps? You know that the three biggest films of the year DOM (and three of the four WW) are all superhero movies? Studios would be stupider not to give audiences those kind of films when they're clearly towering hits.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Oh yeah, Teen Titans is gonna kill HT3 just like box office phenomenon Kubo and the Two Strings shanked Secret Life of Pets http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2016&wknd=34&p=.htm

No one is saying it’s gonna kill its legs, but it’ll still be effected.  And this isn’t a good comparison at all.  Kubo came out a month and a half into SLOP’s run, and also targeted a bit of a different demographic than SLOP

Edited by That One Guy

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

No one is saying it’s gonna kill its legs, but it’ll still be effected.  And this isn’t a good comparison at all.  Kubo came out a month and a half into SLOP’s run, and also targeted a bit of a different demographic than SLOP

Not to mention it was released by a different branch of the same studio/company.

Edited by WrathOfHan

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I don’t get sub $40M for HT3 either, the series has been constant for $40M+ OW and it isn’t necessarily hated.

The other two opened in late Sept after there was a dearth of animated and family films.  Now it's opening right in the midst of several.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think the HT franchise have been lucky opening in September when there is bugger all on for kids but in the midst of summer with heavy competition, I do see a decline both domestic and OS

Not necessarily Storks and Ninjago bombed in September with better reviews than both of the HTs. 

• Like 1