WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

5 hours ago, Thrylos 7 said:

Have you read the main necroscope series ?

I don't know what you are referring to.

Potter books have a lot of filler and repetitious minutia amid their fantasy, charm and clever whimsy but they're competently written. 

The Twilight books on a technical level are sub par (not as much as the EL James  rip offs though) while also pushing a creepy "love" story between an undead centenarian and the high school girl he stalks.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Nova said:

I’ve only ever read the first book. I was in 8th grade when the books started to gain some popularity and my English teacher gave it to us as a reading assignment. 

Oh boy was it a chore to get through. Saw they were making it a movie and I said no fucking thank you. Not with that source material. So I passed on the movies and the rest of the books. After watching the movies though....literally took an empty story and made movies out of them. Movies that would make billions of dollars. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. 

What a modern english teacher, we had to read stuff like Dracula and The crucible, the only modern book we had to read was in 10th grade '13 reasons why'.

Ignoring the fact that Bella is in high school and Edward is 100 years old the Books and films are good.

• Thanks 1

Im glad some people here can enjoy the Twilight films or books. More power to you.

I dont. I hate them and imo they are hilariously awful.

Its true that they're really well shot and crafted. Though one can film a piece of rat shit in the most beautiful way possible, one can use the best possible editing and lighting around it - its still a piece of rat shit. This is how i view both Twilight and Fifty Shades (Shades is even worse than Twilight though).

• Like 5

Only BOT to turn a Marvel opening thread into a Twilight wankfest. Well at least it's not fanboy wars, so there's that. Hell, the absence of the Asgardians means this movie is #NotAnEvent :sparta:

I mean, it obviously won't be a bomb like Wrinkle or Solow, but the streak of 600+ movies followed by smaller scale hits (well, AM2 is still pretty big) or straight up flops continues for Disney this year. I guess this means Christopher Robin will outgross Beauty And The Beast :ph34r:

In all seriousness, the movie is doing really well, There's like zero reason to find the numbers disappointing, if you set your expectations too high for a sequel to a 57 million OW and 190 total maker, that's on you, not on them, 80M+ is a really good number for it. Even a little under 80 would still be great. It's hard to ask for much more when the original didn't do that amazing despite great legs, it was promoted like a side story from the rest of the MCU and you already had two back-to-back 150 range or above openers in the last three weeks that are still doing pretty strongly.... why did it need to open to 100M? To feed your fanboy ego? It would've been great if it did, but it doesn't need to in order to be a solid smash hit. The only thing that's kinda underwhelming about it is the internal multiplier, but I imagine it's gonna pull a Homecoming + Deadpool 2 and make up for bleh early staying power (I actually think it'll have a steep drop next weekend) with tremendous legs. It's a perfect movie for that kind of thing.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

7 hours ago, MattW said:

So I missed out on a bunch of posts early today saying something like, "this isn't disappointing, 80m for antman is really good."

It is good, what's disappointing is the internal multiplier.  

GotG did 8.4x previews

S:HC did 7.6x previews

Cap3 did 7.16x previews

Ultron did 6.93x previews

IW did 6.6x previews

If Antman does 80m that's only 6.95x previews.  If it does under 80 like BoxOffice pro is saying that's 6.87x previews.  That's a little disappointing considering what we were expecting as far as being less presale-heavy, more family oriented, and means a re-adjustment of expectations for Marvel sequels deep in summer since this is really the first one.

Ant2 is at best looking at 7.2x (83 ow), close to Cap3 and well below S:HC's 7.6x, which even though had storng legs eventually was pretty front-loaded early on. Unlike S:HC though Ant2 is a sequel so that might explain some front-loading.

Can only speculate but previews could have been perticularly strong due to ID week giving people more time off then even usual for a summer Thu. Additionally some non-Ant1 fans but CBM and MCU supporters might have flocked sooner than later to the theaters just due to the great buzz and vibe that MCU has in genereal following BP and AIW.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

All I want from Wasp and Antman is to gross more than JL. 

With summer weekdays and an $85m+ opening? That should be easy.

First number:  

Hereditary $1m weekend btw 

Edited by Krissykins

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Only BOT to turn a Marvel opening thread into a Twilight wankfest. Well at least it's not fanboy wars, so there's that. Hell, the absence of the Asgardians means this movie is #NotAnEvent :sparta:

I mean, it obviously won't be a bomb like Wrinkle or Solow, but the streak of 600+ movies followed by smaller scale hits (well, AM2 is still pretty big) or straight up flops continues for Disney this year. I guess this means Christopher Robin will outgross Beauty And The Beast :ph34r:

In all seriousness, the movie is doing really well, There's like zero reason to find the numbers disappointing, if you set your expectations too high for a sequel to a 57 million OW and 190 total maker, that's on you, not on them, 80M+ is a really good number for it. Even a little under 80 would still be great. It's hard to ask for much more when the original didn't do that amazing despite great legs, it was promoted like a side story from the rest of the MCU and you already had two back-to-back 150 range or above openers in the last three weeks that are still doing pretty strongly.... why did it need to open to 100M? To feed your fanboy ego? It would've been great if it did, but it doesn't need to in order to be a solid smash hit. The only thing that's kinda underwhelming about it is the internal multiplier, but I imagine it's gonna pull a Homecoming + Deadpool 2 and make up for bleh early staying power (I actually think it'll have a steep drop next weekend) with tremendous legs. It's a perfect movie for that kind of thing.

Christopher Robin probably won't do that much, but it's in a PERFECT position to be a $250 million+ DOM surprise blockbuster.

• Winnie the Pooh's beloved status
  • Last major family film until Grinch (House With Clock and Goosebumps have niche appeal, Smallfoot will likely do $50-70 million DOM like the other non-LEGO Movie-connected WAG films)
  • Breath of fresh air from SFX/action-based tentpoles
  • Almost assured to be a heartwarming, tear-jerking crowdpleaser
  • Stellar marketing campaign thus far
  • Will likely have a small enough OW to develop stellar legs 
  • Last four-quadrant film of the summer 

I'm thinking 60/285 right now. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1