WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 92): Ant-Man and the Wasp 75.8M (#CRUMBLING EVEN MORE) | Jurassic World 28.6M | Incredibles 2 28.4M | The First Purge 17.4M

Oops.

I seriously thought this would debut with over 100 million (althought just barely, most likely around the same amount Wonder Woman made OW).

This number (barely over 75 million) is ok, I guess (How many films would kill for that?), but in the summer of 2018 (when MCU has never been hotter), it is kinda disappointing.

Oh screw that...it is very disappointing.

I just hope that its relatively low-key opening helps it reach an insane multipler.

Who knows, maybe it will do a Wonder Woman on us...

Edited by StevenG
  • Like 1

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Eeeeeesh, that is badly frontloaded (if proven right).

The multiplier isn't that far off from Spider-Man: Homecoming from this same weekend last year ($50M Friday, $117M weekend).

3 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is still a shame it didn't get a release in China. Judging by its performance in HK and South Korea, that would have easily locked $800M+ worldwide (on a $110M budget).

It would have made it the highest grossing R-rated film of all time but alas we can’t have nice things apparently. 

:sparta:

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Let's just get it all out of the way right now:

Flop!

Bomb!

A disgrace to the MCU brand!

Fire Kevin Feige!

In your face, Disney!

End of discussion. You're welcome.

Or maybe the opposite

great success

huge increase over the first

why are people disappointed ?

no sequelitis for MCU 

End of discussion. You’re welcome.

Edited by Thrylos 7

9 minutes ago, Lucasmessi12 said:

Worst IM for an MCU film to date, which considering the July opening and 4th on Wednesday leading to people taking Thursday and Friday off, it's not super surprising unless you've been yelling "family friendly!" and "it'll be a walk-ups monster!" all week,

Will be touch-and-go on whether it can beat Solo if that weekend holds.

edit: Deadline has $23.7M for Saturday.

Edited by Biggestgeekever

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Jesus. Why was this so frontloaded? :winomg: 

Read my post from yesterday about 40 pages back...or maybe I'll be a little more serious;)...

1. Folks found out from friends who saw it Thursday that it's not necessary for Avengers 4, so no rush...

2. Folks also found out it's good but Netflixable...

3. Fewer families walking up than expected - with Incredibles 2 out, you have the family super.  With HT3 next week, you may have folks saving for that one...this falls in the middle and gets left out.  Remember, there is still NO family moviepass or AMC or Sinemia plan, so adults will see okay/good movies all day long...but families will see the better films OR the films that their kids are begging them to see OR the ones the parents are dying to see (ala AIW).  Obviously, this is worse than I2 and probably didn't have the number of adults or kids begging for this...it's not "must see" for anyone, just "like to see"...

4. The weather, the World Cup, and the holiday...put them all in a jar and shake it up...

Take a mix of all these reasons and there you have it...now, where it goes from here should be interesting, and might be based on how the rest of July opens...

• Like 3

Damn. If that $76M sticks, Ant-Man would have a preview to OW multiplier of 6.6. 

The IM maybe disappointing to folks but before folks start with their doom and gloom, realize that it has summer week days and will still get a very nice multiplier once it’s all said and done.