SLAM!

Death of a Nation | Quality Flix | August 3rd, 2018 | right-wing documentary to release in over 1,000 theaters

36 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This isn't Republicans or even reluctant Trump voters who like these movies. This guy has a history of promoting birtherism and other insanely bigoted, hateful theories and the people who support these films have an extensive history of making racist and hateful remarks constantly. Trump has admitted flat out to sexually assaulting women on tape and called for hanging the innocent Central Park Five in public - statements that this filmmaker has agreed with and defended. People who support this film inherently support that.  I ain't apologizing for that.

Okay. I wasn't able to vote in 2016 but, as a would-be reluctant Trump voter, I see what you mean. I don't believe that a man is the sum of his comments, especially in the Twitter age, but with his high profile, he should know better. It sucks that there's only two options on election day, really. I think it sucks that people overlook one's good deeds and focus on the bad ones (though Trump has said some sketchy things for sure). I dunno. I just think it's wrong to say, "if you support one thing then you support everything else."

Maybe the best case scenario for the film's gross will be enough to keep the ones involved from starving, but not enough to be called a success. They may not deserve it, but I choose to wish that they receive grace and mercy.

And maybe, when the time comes to vote in the 2024 primaries, Republicans from all over America will rally behind someone who isn't essentialy a douchebag.

36 minutes ago, Premium George said:

just see hillary's america and you will understand why every word of your comment is stupid. 

tumblr_p3hpvma9xB1sxnbdko1_500.gif

(The gif above is a joke; I'm sorry; if I saw the film, I might agree. I'm not gonna waste my time with it though.)

Edited by Slambros

7 minutes ago, Spagheditary said:

Let’s not even mention how Dinesh openly mocked the survivors of the Parkland shooting.

He’s an abhorrent monster.

Stepping on soapbox:)...

I'm not taking a position on the movie or the filmmaker.

BUT...I do hate reading posts that take away someone's humanity.  As flawed, misguided, and potentially wrong you feel the director is, he's still a person, not a monster.  And people always have the ability to change/grow/be redeemed/etc.  Usually, you reach people by keeping this mindset, not designating them as something less than human...if only b/c you are better than that, even if the other person may not be.

Okay, soapbox over:)...(and yes, I probably sound like slambros, but that's not a bad thing:)...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Stepping on soapbox:)...

I'm not taking a position on the movie or the filmmaker.

BUT...I do hate reading posts that take away someone's humanity.  As flawed, misguided, and potentially wrong you feel the director is, he's still a person, not a monster.  And people always have the ability to change/grow/be redeemed/etc.  Usually, you reach people by keeping this mindset, not designating them as something less than human...if only b/c you are better than that, even if the other person may not be.

Okay, soapbox over:)...(and yes, I probably sound like slambros, but that's not a bad thing:)...

I'm sorry, but I'm still in the camp of D'Souza is a monster. If he shows him self to grow and be better I'll stop thinking of him as such. But right now, he's purposefully lying in the form of propaganda wrapped in Documentary in order to get rich off of ignorant people by feeding into their fears and validating falsehoods that only serve to weaken the country as a whole. That is monstrous behavior that should be called out as such.

If I'm wrong for pointing at someone doing monstrous and destructive things and calling him a monster, than I'm pretty much fine with being wrong right now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

I'm sorry, but I'm still in the camp of D'Souza is a monster. If he shows him self to grow and be better I'll stop thinking of him as such. But right now, he's purposefully lying in the form of propaganda wrapped in Documentary in order to get rich off of ignorant people by feeding into their fears and validating falsehoods that only serve to weaken the country as a whole. That is monstrous behavior that should be called out as such.

If I'm wrong for pointing at someone doing monstrous and destructive things and calling him a monster, than I'm pretty much fine with being wrong right now.

The 1st part (calling out the actions) is totally fine - it's the 2nd part:)...as I tell my kids, it's the difference between what someone does and what someone is...aka, when your 6 year old whacks your 4 year old, you tell the 6 year old that they did a bad thing VS telling them they are a bad kid.  I have no problem calling out actions, but that's different than "being."

It sometimes seems like a distinction without a difference.  But I think it's one of the most important things we can do in discourse.  

1 hour ago, Slambros said:

Well, what are the 'informed' informed of, then? And how were they informed?

They were informed by anything of any historical accuracy from that covers the last 100 years. I'm not talking about political leanings. I'm talking about things that are historical fact. Like that in the mid 20th century the Democratic and Republican Party flipped ideology. D'Souza will use historically true things about Democrats in the late 1800s to try and say that's what the party is like today, without acknowledging the huge ideological shift in the parties that occurred. It's horribly irresponsible and frankly, reprehensible. That is literally the premise of this movie, that because the Democrats were racist in the late 1900s they're really the racists now. It's ludicrous, and ignores any and very historical context of the last 50 years of the party.

1 hour ago, Slambros said:

And I'm gonna have to see from an analysis video in the future on whether or not the film is lying to people. I'll also have to see a 'works cited' list, or a lack of one, before I can definitely say that they are lies. Because right now, I've only seen that the film has poorly-made arguments. And they have a right to make that argument, even though it should be explained more in depth.

I'm sorry, but no. Don't watch a video. Go to a library. Do the research, check multiple sources. And I wish you luck on finding a list of sources for his films. He doesn't list them on his website, far as I can tell.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The 1st part (calling out the actions) is totally fine - it's the 2nd part:)...as I tell my kids, it's the difference between what someone does and what someone is...aka, when your 6 year old whacks your 4 year old, you tell the 6 year old that they did a bad thing VS telling them they are a bad kid.  I have no problem calling out actions, but that's different than "being."

It sometimes seems like a distinction without a difference.  But I think it's one of the most important things we can do in discourse.  

I'm still fine with calling a lying liar, who purposefully lies without moral issue in order to gain money at the expense of other people's lives, and who then furthers this by trying to divide people further and spread hatred and information, a monster.

I'd agree with you, if I thought it was possible to have a discourse with a man who knows he's lying, who doesn't care that he's lying, who doesn't care that he's hurting people, so long as it makes him money. That's just it. He isn't just doing a bad thing. He's doing a bad thing knowing it's a bad thing, and will continue doing a bad thing without any moral issues because it feeds his greed. He. Is. A. Monster.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RandomCat said:

I'm still fine with calling a lying liar, who purposefully lies without moral issue in order to gain money at the expense of other people's lives, and who then furthers this by trying to divide people further and spread hatred and information, a monster.

I'd agree with you, if I thought it was possible to have a discourse with a man who knows he's lying, who doesn't care that he's lying, who doesn't care that he's hurting people, so long as it makes him money. That's just it. He isn't just doing a bad thing. He's doing a bad thing knowing it's a bad thing, and will continue doing a bad thing without any moral issues because it feeds his greed. He. Is. A. Monster.

DSouza is a  junior league Monster. Trump is the main monster. D Siouza is just one of his henchman.And everything you s ay about D Souza applies double to Trump.

And I am sick and tired of people who don't want to take sides in this conflict. It's about America becoming a dictatorship or America surviving as a free country.  If yo uwant to reamin netural, I have nothing but contempt to you. That saying "All that is required for the triumph of Evil is for good men to do nothing" applies here.

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Theaters in my area account for basically .3% of this movie's TC. That's a fun thought :gold: 

Only most of the multiplexes around me are getting this and nowhere else, and all of them are sticking it in their puniest auditoriums. I would expect such when there's a sign not far from where I work that shows his silhouette and says "You're Fired 2020."

32 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Only most of the multiplexes around me are getting this and nowhere else, and all of them are sticking it in their puniest auditoriums. I would expect such when there's a sign not far from where I work that shows his silhouette and says "You're Fired 2020."

I’m pretty annoyed my AMC got this bc I might have to drive a little further for Klansman next week. Maybe Darkest Minds will bomb hard enough to be put on half a screen next week lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAR said:

I never knew this movie existed until I saw this thread.   

Thanks guys.  Thanks a lot.

The marketing does seem to be targeting Right Wing Media,and making no effort to attract other audiences.

Edited by dudalb

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I bet this will bomb big time, like $3m and Trump will still tweet that it’s a big hit

Thing is this film looks so cheap...with those drop dead funny Lincoln and Hitler reenactments....with 3 Million it could still make a profit....