Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread: Equalizer 2 pulls off an upset win over Mamma Mia 2 - 35.83M to 34.44M

1 minute ago, spatulashack said:

About 11 million Saturday. 22 percent drop from Friday. The matinees were strong and then it collapsed at night it seems. The Friday acted more like an event than we thought it would but I still think it will have legs in the coming weeks. 

After seeing the movie, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't have good legs. It's definitely a joyous blast of energy, probably even more than the first was.

This turned out to be a pretty interesting weekend after all. A close finish at the top with a surprise winner. Strong holds from pretty much all of the holdovers except last weekend's openers. There's plenty of variety in the marketplace right now which is good for the industry and moviegoers alike.

The fact that two movies aimed at older adult audiences combined for $70M this weekend is quite an achievement. Studios really should take this as a sign to put more counterprogramming in the summer. First Man in particular would've killed as a summer release.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

After seeing the movie, I'll be very surprised if it doesn't have good legs. It's definitely a joyous blast of energy, probably even more than the first was.

I don't see it being as strong as the original's OW legs but a 4 multi is achievable.

Just now, filmlover said:

The fact that two movies aimed at older adult audiences combined for $70M this weekend is quite an achievement. Studios really should take this as a sign to put more counterprogramming in the summer. First Man in particular would've killed as a summer release.

It's understandable why Universal put First Man in October, we've seen with films like Gravity and The Martian, that a good adult oriented blockbuster can be very leggy.