grim22

Academy Awards adding a "Best Popular Film" category. Good or bad idea? Academy walks it back, won't be presented this year

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I feel like we're never going to hear about this "new category" ever again. Not that it wasn't a dumb idea in the first place.

Maybe they will consider adding a category people have wanted added for a long time - Best Stunt Work. That can be used to reward blockbusters as well since that’s where the most stunt work happens.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 75Live said:

or better yet, just tweet out the winners in each category in 5 minute intervals :P 

Or better yet just have the list of winners in the newspapers in the morning. No need to waste precious time tweeting that out. 

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

Something something Disney something something we gotta award Black Panther. That was pretty much it.

If they are now having the award be introduced in  2020 instead they won't be awarding BP but most likely Captain Marvel.

7 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Or better yet just have the list of winners in the newspapers in the morning. No need to waste precious time tweeting that out. 

lol I wouldn't want to live in a world without the shenanigans of last year's Best Picture snafu. That shit's what live TV was made for.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Maybe they will consider adding a category people have wanted added for a long time - Best Stunt Work. That can be used to reward blockbusters as well since that’s where the most stunt work happens.

At this point they must have a reason why they do not have the category, too small industry was a supposition in the past (some year SAG didn't go to 5 nominee).

1) Who get the price ? SAG simply declare a winning movie:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_Actors_Guild_Award_for_Outstanding_Performance_by_a_Stunt_Ensemble_in_a_Motion_Picture

2) If Tom Cruise stunt double go on the stage to pick an Oscar for stunt work, that do remove a bit of magic, maybe the action stars and action movie producer are not enthusiastic for it.

3) Ability of the voting body to have an opinion on the quality of the stunt work, specially with many of it being CG ? Weak argument obviously, that being true for many category like Sound's I would imagine.

11 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That and maybe best vocal performance will finally happen - hah - not while most don't even think Animated movies are real movies and can't even be bothered to watch them to vote on them.

They just need to go back to the 2009/ 2010 voting rules and we'll get a couple more "popular" films nominated.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Maybe that's why they removed the category as BP has a good shot at BP instead of best popular film. 

I think it's more of just a reaction to all the complaints so they are just going to feel like "fine, we'll just give it the nomination now" which kind of diminishes it.  But hey if it still gets a BP nod, I'm sure people will be thrilled regardless of why

Edited by 75Live

4 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

Maybe that's why they removed the category as BP has a good shot at BP instead of best popular film. 

makes more sense. that dumb category always strike me as "we don't want to nominate the biggest movie of the year cause SH but feel there would be backlash if we didn't cause important movie despite its genre so lets create a consolation category". Good that it didn't stick.