cookie

Cookie's Corner Y4 - Spark 3 ending explained on page 14

3 hours ago, cookie said:

Top 25 and Top 5 Worst (I’m neglecting obvious fillers and y’all been good at avoiding irredeemable trainwrecks this year with the exception of a few) coming tonight. Only have The Square Mile left to read as I wanted to save it for last.

Dong is on standby mode.

• Like 1

Top 5 Worst of the Year

(In no particular order as I haven't bothered much with grades outside of the top 25. Neglecting obvious fillers)

Spoiler

Son of Rosemary by @Xillix

Just gonna quote @4815162342 on this one:

On 10/4/2018 at 2:16 AM, 4815162342 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5387178

Spoiler

Stories From Eden by @Spagspiria

Not the worst one of these (like I said, there haven't been many irredeemable train wrecks this year, at least among those there have been effort put into), but definitely feels like wasted potential since it's confused on what it wants to be.

Spoiler

Dead Space by @Alpha

Kinda like last year's Bioshock except worse. Just a whole lot of back-and-forth with little reason to feel invested.

Spoiler

I Am Omega Part 1 by @Sears

Talk about taking classic material and doing nothing worthwile with it, plus ending in such an abrupt way it makes Earthsong blush.

Spoiler

Jonny Jonny and the Crimes of @Spagspiria and @Blankments

"Jonny, Jonny?"

"Yes, Cookie?"

"Make waste of time?"

"No, Cookie"

"Telling lies?"

"No, Cookie"

"Please stop this now"

"HaHaHa"

Honorable mentions:

Spoiler

Johnny Test (just because it made me laugh doesn't mean it isn't bad)

Inside Man

A White Man, A Black Man

Earth Day

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Honorable Mentions (aka the "you tried" category)

200.gif

Speaking of...

Spoiler

Treasure Planet: Gauntlet of Midas

While it undeniably tries more than its predecessor, it honestly just feels more exhausting by the end, and the various logic gaps and continuity errors didn't help. I think if one sits down and really tries to plot things out you can make something truly great out of the material. Here's hoping the third one finally lets the franchise find its footing.

Spoiler

One Piece: The Journey Begins

I wish only the best for @Reddroast's further endeavors. What he had wasn't a terrible start (even if I do think he should take more time working on the grammar and writing errors but I won't hold that against anyone) and like Treasure Planet it has all the potential to bloom into something special someday. Today isn't that day, but it's a start.

Spoiler

Jaws: The Return

Frankly it being unnecessary is why it's on this list and not scraping the top 25. Jaws didn't need a sequel to begin with and this felt like something right out of the same camp as the lesser Jurassic Park sequels. That's not to say it didn't entertain me to enough of an extent.

Spoiler

Extrasensory

The problem is that it ends on kind of a limp note, with the promise of bigger things just as it felt it was getting somewhere. If Pasta wants to make a sequel, I'd say go ahead.

Spoiler

The Second Crash Bandicoot

Like Treasure Planet, this tried more than its predecessor but ultimately felt less satisfying because it became so exhausting by the end. But it's ultimately harmless cartoon fare and some of the gags got me, which is more than I can say for some other films.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, cookie said:

Here's hoping the third one finally lets the franchise find its footing.

I am waiting on if you still want to do that crossover, but as for now I don’t know about a threequel. I learned from what went wrong in both entries and improve on it but I am not in much of a rush to do a sequel in the near future not due to reviews cause I’m not a quitter but mainly due to box office and budget ($200M budget with $625M WW isn’t a good look) but we’ll see when Y7-8 comes around the corner and I guarantee you won't see the last of them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I am waiting on if you still want to do that crossover, but as for now I don’t know about a threequel. I learned from what went wrong in both entries and improve on it but I am not in much of a rush to do a sequel in the near future not due to reviews cause I’m not a quitter but mainly due to box office and budget ($200M budget with $625M WW isn’t a good look) but we’ll see when Y7-8 comes around the corner and I guarantee you won't see the last of them.

Thing is I don't really have any incentive to remake Atlantis at this time. I almost thought of letting go of the rights but the idea of us working together on a crossover sounded pretty fun.

What if we do the first movie but make it a co-production ala Kingdom of the Sun?

• Like 2

Just now, cookie said:

Thing is I don't really have any incentive to remake Atlantis at this time. I almost thought of letting go of the rights but the idea of us working together on a crossover sounded pretty fun.

What if we do the first movie but make it a co-production ala Kingdom of the Sun?

I’d like that very much.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’d like that very much.

This isn't the thread for it, but when I thought of remaking Atlantis, my main mission was mostly:

Spoiler

Expanding greatly on the second act. One thing that's always bugged me with the original is that they don't even arrive at Atlantis until the movie is halfway over and so everything there has to be rushed (I've timed it, between them meeting Kida and Rourke betraying Milo it takes less than fifteen minutes) so we can get to the third act. That's kinda why I wanted to find information on Joss Whedon's original draft as that was supposedly much longer than what we got (said to have clocked in at over two hours before the end of the second act even which is crazy for an animated film), even if he claims that very little of his work exists in the final script.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

This isn't the thread for it, but when I thought of remaking Atlantis, my main mission was mostly:

Hide contents

Expanding greatly on the second act. One thing that's always bugged me with the original is that they don't even arrive at Atlantis until the movie is halfway over and so everything there has to be rushed (I've timed it, between them meeting Kida and Rourke betraying Milo it takes less than fifteen minutes) so we can get to the third act. That's kinda why I wanted to find information on Joss Whedon's original draft as that was supposedly much longer than what we got (said to have clocked in at over two hours before the end of the second act even which is crazy for an animated film), even if he claims that very little of his work exists in the final script.

Yes, agreed on the second act. I’ll talk about it later as I’m about to see Wreck It Ralph 2.

• Like 2

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Yes, agreed on the second act. I’ll talk about it later as I’m about to see Wreck It Ralph 2.

I'll be in Germany until Friday but send me a PM and we could hammer out a plan over the weekend.

• Like 2

@4815162342 @Rorschach fine, you little weenies, you get #25-#21 now.

Spoiler

The Female Man by @Hiccup23

This almost didn't make the list but I like the ambition behind tackling complex issues in regards to gender roles and identity and for that it makes the list.

Spoiler

Bats by @YourMother the Edgelord

Nature documentaries are kind of the easiest trick to get at least an honorable mention from me so I guess this did its job.

Spoiler

Safari Trail by @YourMother the Edgelord

This one goes above Bats because it gave me an excuse to play this:

Spoiler

The Guardian of the West by @Spagspiria

Hmm... all three documentaries released this year are listed in a row. Guess I just have a soft spot for these.

This one wins because of its unique subject matter by CAYOM standards and having more effort put into it than the others. Wyatt Earp as a subject has been covered before, but Bryan Cranston narrating makes this an enticing proposition.

Spoiler

Earthsong Volume I: Haven's Guard by @Xillix

I was warned about this in other threads but lol that (non) ending makes the one in The Hobbit 2 seem conclusive. Another one that gets by on the ambition at display and since the story's far from over there's hope for better things down the line.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I don’t know how I feel about the fact three documentaries are in the 21-25 slots.

They're harmless and they do what they set out to do. I can't really complain about them.

• Like 1