Box Office Hit

Free Guy | 20th Century | August 13 2021

1 hour ago, baumer said:

I guess I'm the only one here who thought Taika was terrific.  The average audience member has no idea who he is so maybe they don't really care as much as you guys do.  

This is by far my favourite film of the last  two years.  

Loved him in the movie. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, baumer said:

I guess I'm the only one here who thought Taika was terrific.  The average audience member has no idea who he is so maybe they don't really care as much as you guys do.  

This is by far my favourite film of the last  two years.  

Is it the only film of the last two years you’ve seen?

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

With some comedy that works? I don’t know, just a thought 

This was it for me.

You can play an unlikable character and still be funny and give a good performance.

He wasnt unlikable because of the character, he was unlikable because he wasn't funny and the performance belongs to a golden raspberry nomination.

He was bad at being bad, in simple terms.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

This was it for me.

You can play an unlikable character and still be funny and give a good performance.

He wasnt unlikable because of the character, he was unlikable because he wasn't funny and the performance belongs to a golden raspberry nomination.

He was bad at being bad, in simple terms.

Yep. I think Ryan is pretty freaking funny in the Deadpool movies despite being an annoying character. Channing Tatum was by far to me the funniest character in Free Guy. Taika’s jokes just fall flat and his performance too over the top. I didn’t fear the character because he’s so unrealistically over the top. I mean, he makes jokes about cancer and riffs something like roasted turkey? It just wasn’t funny to me.  

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It's too hard to accept that he liked it a lot? and judging the legs, he is not the only one.

Edited by Fox20
  • Like 1

Why it's so hard to accept that people can like or dislike whatever they want and get over it?

I just read 2 pages of people complaining about Taika (something that was already discussed here last week or so) and acting superior for dislike it, and then people starting to defend him idk why, ffs nobody cares that much about this to keep this discussion for so long, it's tiring.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Why it's so hard to accept that people can like or dislike whatever they want and get over it?

I just read 2 pages of people complaining about Taika (something that was already discussed here last week or so) and acting superior for dislike it, and then people starting to defend him idk why, ffs nobody cares that much about this to keep this discussion for so long, it's tiring.

It was just a simple discussion that re-emerged after an old post was quoted by someone who recently saw the film. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

It was just a simple discussion that re-emerged after an old post was quoted by someone who recently saw the film. 🤷‍♂️

I get it, just said it's tiring. Maybe because this thread is very small so it became more annoying but i feel that this is the third time i enter here in different days and read the same things.

So, this movie has a great multiplier b/c this movie is a great movie...best movie of the summer.

My whole family saw it tonight - my son picked this over Shang Chi when I told him we were gonna take a break for a few weeks after one last movie.  What a good decision:).

I gave it an A- as did the spouse.  The teens and youngest gave it an A.  The 3rd kid gave it an A+.

So well done.  I had a conversation with someone about how you can do derivative movies if you do them better - and this one definitely did it better.  

I had a quibble or two about some plot jumps, and I thought Waititi needed to dial it back one degree (aka - I could see both sides of the "this is a Razzie/no he's just a great villain" argument, and think he has scenes where he was one, and scenes where he was the other:)...

But wow - the movie quality explains the legs...best thing I've seen since Covid, I think...

PS - We are a gaming family of all types of games, so this probably is in our wheelhouse, but damn, it exceeded my expectations:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Have you.. seen Shang-chi?

No - but I know he wouldn't give it an A b/c he doesn't do long backstory and origins (he does comedy and action and shorter is better:)...so for him, it was a very good decision (I let him make it with no influence from me).  My girls didn't want Shang Chi, so that may have affected his choice (b/c he originally wanted to wait for it and changed his mind today:)...having watched Suicide Squad, he declared this one better:)...as did I, but there was no doubt on that if you saw my Suicide Squad grade...

Edited by TwoMisfits

It’s good your family enjoyed the movie, just seemed odd to compare to a movie that isn’t out yet (vs, I dunno, a movie that you have seen). So I wondered if maybe you had caught one of the sneaks or something.    

Shang-Chi is also an accessible action comedy and I’d expect will have a lot of overlap with people who enjoy Free Guy, but I’ll defer to your assessment of your own kids taste 😛 

6 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

It’s good your family enjoyed the movie, just seemed odd to compare to a movie that isn’t out yet (vs, I dunno, a movie that you have seen). So I wondered if maybe you had caught one of the sneaks or something.    

Shang-Chi is also an accessible action comedy and I’d expect will have a lot of overlap with people who enjoy Free Guy, but I’ll defer to your assessment of your own kids taste 😛 

It's only b/c he told me this weekend he wanted his last movie to be Shang Chi this weekend (before we take a Covid break b/c my area is rising), and then today, he literally changed on a dime and said he wanted it to be Free Guy tonight instead (since I had given him cheap Tuesday and Saturday matinee as our final 2 "time" options)...so, it was comparing to what he originally wanted to what he ended up wanting...

Blame excitement from an unexpectedly awesome premier concept movie:)...but I gotta say, when I see Shang Chi on D+, it is gonna have quite a hill to climb for me to like it better...heck, every 2021 fall movie - even Spidey, who I LOVE - is gonna have a hill to climb:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 11:34 AM, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

If you have to ask that then you don't know me very well.  

• Like 2

On 8/29/2021 at 11:16 PM, SpiderByte said:

No I mean, not succeeding despite covid, I mean doing better than it would have because of covid. I don't think Free Guy would be doing these insane holds in a pre covid environment

Why not though? It seems to be treated like a comedy and is getting similar legs to a comedy. Only difference in gross I see in a non covid world is a higher opening with similar legs. Covid hasn't helped any movie

• Like 2