Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

5 hours ago, Factcheck said:

Yeah there is a Batgirl and a Batwoman but without cancelling Batman. Also if something wrong happened in comics should be repeated in movies? & no one cares what happened in comics.

I mean, you know, they are called batgirl and batwoman because it would not make much sense if batman was not a man...

As far as the first film goes, the only condition was that the person had to be of royal blood as far as memory goes. There isn't really anything suggesting it had to be a man and it doesn't really matter either. The only question is whether the transition is done well or not. And I mean, the only real options from the first film were all women, so I'm not sure who exactly you wanted instead other than a recast.

Edited by JustLurking

19 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Same as sales -- awful

Sarcastic or serious?

How are sales and trailer viewings compared to DS2 and ThorLT? I try to figure out the tracking thread info but my feeble brain can't comprehend all that lol.

I mean-truth is that ticket sales kind of came quietly without any fanfare or huge announcement. How many even know?

Edited by jedijake

15 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Sarcastic or serious?

How are sales and trailer viewings compared to DS2 and ThorLT? I try to figure out the tracking thread info but my feeble brain can't comprehend all that lol.

I mean-truth is that ticket sales kind of came quietly without any fanfare or huge announcement. How many even know?

Serious.

Yeah maybe later days will turn it around, but having low awareness around sales starting us a bad indicator in itself.

10 hours ago, Valonqar said:

which is perfect for character's hero journey. 

Not weakest physically...I meant weakest as in she was the least interesting and appealing to me by far. 

But we'll see...execution is everything.

15 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Not weakest physically...I meant weakest as in she was the least interesting and appealing to me by far. 

But we'll see...execution is everything.

That's a classic Campbellian hero, though. That's why there are more interesting characters (mentor, trickster, antagonist) to guide and/or challenge the hero on the hero journey. Of course, once in a blue moon we get a genuinely interesting start-up hero like Tony Stark but most of them are Luke Skywalker garden variety. Nothing wrong with that - Luke is iconic for a reason - but he didn't begin as the most interesting of the cast. That came later. 

33 minutes ago, Legion By Night said:

Serious.

Yeah maybe later days will turn it around, but having low awareness around sales starting us a bad indicator in itself.

Funny, I mentioned that I saw low awareness and people jumped all over me. Not saying that awareness is high, but how do we measure it?

I will admit that the constant chatter, talk, and hype for both NWH and DSiMOM was real and present and high volume. Thor not so much. And I don't hear people go on and on about BPWF the way they did for NWH and DSiMOM. But that is just anecdotal for me. Is there a way to see the actual awareness and measure the hype? Has too much time gone by since the last BP film to keep up the hype?

20 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Relative to Thor. Instagram is actually ahead of MoM trailer 2 as well. 

And Twitter will be nearly double the 24HR numbers of the L&T official trailer. 

Like I said yesterday, no day-prior announcement was going to curtail initial rush in comparison to MoM and L&T, no matter how much word spread the day of sale. Also, the sales window is double that of L&T. I’ll still take previews > $35M. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Wolverpool XXR said:

And Twitter will be nearly double the 24HR numbers of the L&T official trailer. 

Like I said yesterday, no day-prior announcement was going to curtail initial rush in comparison to MoM and L&T, no matter how much word spread the day of sale. Also, the sales window is double that of L&T. I’ll still take previews > $35M. 

If it gets positive reviews maybe I could explode. Who knows

3 hours ago, JustLurking said:

I mean, you know, they are called batgirl and batwoman because it would not make much sense if batman was not a man...

As far as the first film goes, the only condition was that the person had to be of royal blood as far as memory goes. There isn't really anything suggesting it had to be a man and it doesn't really matter either. The only question is whether the transition is done well or not. And I mean, the only real options from the first film were all women, so I'm not sure who exactly you wanted instead other than a recast.

Batman was just an example, this applies to any other male superhero. If there is no male relative of T'Challa alive or they didn't want to create a new one then I wanted T'challa recast. As a I said the path they chose to make a successful female lead movie is an easy path, I prefer normal or you can say difficult path- Introduce a new female character & make her popular among both female & male fans.

DSMOM had three massive benefits:

1. Follow-up to Wandavision (did not turn out the way people wanted)

2. Follow-up to No Way Home (had no real connection)

3. Constant cameo rumors (fell flat)

So DSMOM was always going to have a LOT more hype. Since the things that gave it its hype did not live up to expectations, the multiplier was horrible.

Cry wolf-people have come to expect much but see little. People may be nervous about BP2. Hopefully WOM and walk-ups will help.

BP1's hype grew over time.

• Like 4

I will say, and I know I'm going to get laughed out of the room for saying this, that Black Panther is a different beast compared to other MCU origin stories and was way more of a breakout with a large periphery audience that won't automatically turn up again. The film was pushed hardcore towards audiences that don't turn up for these superhero movies. At least here in the States, the film was practically a social movement that is rarely seen with these kinds of blockbusters. It had Best Picture buzz for viewers who aren't interested in blockbusters, its push towards representation, with campaigns to bring kids of color free tickets to the movie, was something you never saw for any Marvel movie up to that point. And it was such a phenomenon here in the states that even people who were growing tired of Marvel or had no interest in the property wanted to join.

Anecdotal, but my mom has never seen an MCU movie in her life. The only movies she's interested in watching are either Mom Movies starring actresses she likes and awards bait. Nothing else. The last superhero movie she ever saw in theaters was Dark Knight when she took me and my brother when I was 10 years old. But she was still super hyped and invested in checking the first movie out. That means something.

And like a lot of follow-up sequels to big breakout hits that bring in more than the usual fandom, that doesn't always mean people will show up again, even if they like the previous film. This won't have the same Best Picture hype or social curiosity, even from people who liked the first movie, I doubt the same GoFundMe campaigns and Time magazine headlines will appear once again, and this is already well ahead of almost every other MCU movie that the room for growth isn't really as high IMO. This is falling for the same reason Spider-Man 2, Chamber of Secrets, Fallen Kingdom, The Last Jedi, and, using MCU for a second, Age of Ultron fell. I know this is different from every other MCU sequel, but this is a different beast of an MCU movie. And sure, maybe Multiverse and Thunder may be hurting it. And there is nothing that will change my mind that the constant TV shows are also hurting the MCU's appeal. At the very least, I think we can say they are certainly not helping. But I don't believe this is as doomsday as people are making it out to be.

So yeah, sub-200 is fine for a sequel to a big breakout film, because Black Panther is more like Jurassic World or IT: Chapter One. You can explain to me why Black Panther is like the other MCU films and how a Marvel movie opening to less than 200 is a disaster and how inflation means it has to make more money than God until you're blue in the face. but I don't have reason to believe a 175M opening is anything to fret or complain about.

This is also a hint to some of you that if we do get a 175M opening or whatever not to have a mental breakdown in the weekend thread. We really don't need this energy.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

I'm a huge Marvel fan and got opening night tickets for this yesterday, but I...hesitated. And I'm still not sure I'll keep them tbh. I'm just not as invested in the new characters. I don't have any interest in Shuri as BP, which I assume based on the marketing so far is how they are going.  I don't want yet another "kid" superhero introduction story, but I know that's where Marvel wants to go.  Just a lot riding against this from what I've seen, at least for me personally. Thor 4 was terrible, and while I think this will be better, I'm not sure that I need to see it in the theater for any particular reason. I don't know, the excitement just isn't there for me as much as it was. That first trailer was great, though.  Really beautiful. And Namor looks interesting. Idk, I'm super ambivalent about this. I do think reviews will really matter here, especially with the loss of Chadwick. It's just a very weird sort of wait-and-see vibe with this one, and I say that as a fan who has been to every opening night since IM1, but I'm kind of burned out on Marvel at this point, and I feel like maybe BP2 is the cut-off for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Looks like it's Marvel's turn to be down with the Sins of the Father disease. I've been thinking about that possibility lately, and it appears it might actually happen. @Eric Smiley's club doesn't seem so far-fetched now.

it seems to me like you WANT this to be the case versus it actually being the case... 

• Like 2