Cap

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever | Nov 11 2022 | Starring 2023 Best Supporting Actress Oscar Nominee Angela Bassett. She did not do the thing!

8 hours ago, Potiki said:

If inflation is bothering you just what until you see what Titanic, Star Wars or Gone with the Wind would have made in 2022 numbers, inflation is a fine tool to compare things but doesn't take into account changing consumer habits which for me personally the 2 offset each other for the most part. 

This isn't a matter of personal opinion, though. The lists of the highest-grossing films are heavily stacked in favor of new releases — 15 of the top 20 highest-grossing films, both domestically and worldwide, are from 2015 onwards, with 18 of the top 20 highest-grossing films worldwide being from 2010 onwards (20 out of 20 if not for the two James Cameron mega-anomalies). It is indisputable that ticket price inflation (and market expansion for global grosses) far outstrips any declines in cinematic attendance in the mature markets, at least for the biggest blockbusters.

And if you're talking about post-pandemic to pre-pandemic, we've just had the unadjusted 3rd highest-grossing movie of all time domestically and the unadjusted 5th highest-grossing movie of all time domestically within the span of about 6 months, so I don't think there's any real argument that can be made — again, at least for the biggest blockbusters — that movies today are at a disadvantage in relation to their unadjusted grosses compared to pre-pandemic movies, or that they're on an equal footing. For the biggest blockbusters, the huge post-pandemic ticket price inflation simply outstrips any declines in general moviegoing attendance, which big blockbusters are largely insulated from, anyway.

5 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

marvel movies dont really make money after 35 days

Itll have zero premium screens by the time avatar comes out, might even lose a decent amount of them to strange world

Perhaps not in general, but Black Panther in particular made around 1/7th of its gross after day 35. I'd say that the lack of breathing room that Black Panther 2 will get during the later parts of its run is likely to negatively affect its gross compared to the original.

Edited by hw64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When people go on and on about inflation with regards to box office, I get the sense of relying on inflation to achieve a goal. To me, it's a way of saying that people don't have enough confidence in the movie to do well in its own right and needs inflation and adjusted to either (a) build it up or (b) tear it down saying that it's success will only be due to inflation.

Why can't the discussion be about how the movie will do in today's market with today's prices alone? Or are people concerned about how it will do?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jedijake said:

Hmmm.....very very early. That exudes confidence, but it also opens the door to issues. Of course, those who attend will be praising it to high heaven. The big question is when will they open up the review embargo?

If they're confident then they might as well drop the embargo right after the premiere, I think for this film in particular without Chadwick (and also considering the last two Marvel films) people could use a definite indication of quality to get hyped.

Early embargo drop and premiere don't mean shit. There were other movies that did that and BOT said "it's sign of confidence" and it didn't work out all that well. I think it's more that fans want to read it as a sign of confidence while studio likely found it a better date cause they have other movies to premiere. Basically a scheduling thing.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Factcheck said:

I think WF's OW will be 2.3-2.5x of BA's OW. Now the question is can it get 3-3.5x legs with TGM like reviews & possible A+ cinemascore?

Couple of things to consider that are pro's and con's to this.

First, (pro), TGM had to deal with losing screens over and over to movies like JWDominion and ThorLT, but still legged it out. So, one has to wonder if WF is better reviewed than AWOW, will it have strong legs through the holidays, despite loss of theaters.

Meanwhile, TGM didn't have a definite streaming date. Everyone will assume that WF will be streaming in January. So if people get busy over the holidays, they'll just watch it on D+.

3 hours ago, jedijake said:

When people go on and on about inflation with regards to box office, I get the sense of relying on inflation to achieve a goal. To me, it's a way of saying that people don't have enough confidence in the movie to do well in its own right and needs inflation and adjusted to either (a) build it up or (b) tear it down saying that it's success will only be due to inflation.

Why can't the discussion be about how the movie will do in today's market with today's prices alone? Or are people concerned about how it will do?

Literally the only reason people use inflation is so they have an excuse to dog on a movie they hate/want to fail even further. It's the same thing when people are all "well what about the marketing budget??????" Like yeah they are important factors, but it's always brought up in the context of people trying to be negative and downplay a film. Or worse, bragging on how their corporate product is so much more successful than their corporate product.

"You know, TGM only got to what it got because of inflation. It wasn't as big as the first movie really"

"Avatar actually sold less tickets than Endgame because of the 3D surcharge. Endgame's really the best UwU"

"Well Avatar had bad exchange rates, which meant it sold more tickets"

"Titanic is the true king of the box office. It outclasses all y'all"

"Well you're not paying attention to Gone with the Wind. It's sold more tickets than any of your faves"

• Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I am 100% sure ticket prices have not increased 20% in 3 years. Average ticket price has increased a lot as share of Premium Large Format (Imax/Dolby/DBox etc) have increased substantially in past few years. This is bcos smaller movies BO have tanked while larger movie audience prefer to watch the movie on best possible screens. So be careful extrapolating BO just on "average ticket price". Unless studios start to release actual ticket sales like most countries, we can never know as there are too many variables. For example the number of theaters participating in discount tickets(tuesdays and now we are even seeing saturday discounts) have increased. Plus depending on release cycle, movies tend to keep their PLF screens for different timelines. TG lost significant % of PLF after just 2 weeks while a movie released in say off summer tend to hold on to them lot longer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I preferred the first trailer. 

Some of the CGI is ropey, but they have 5 weeks. 

Those little wings/tails flapping on his legs just look silly. I don’t care if it’s from the comics lol. He looks very derivative of Aquaman, maybe he was created first, who knows. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, John Marston said:

thats just it. Will audiences take to the bee characters being introduced or will they have to resort to bringing back the old guard? 

Avengers: Secret Wars was already greenlit.

8 hours ago, hw64 said:

This isn't a matter of personal opinion, though. The lists of the highest-grossing films are heavily stacked in favor of new releases — 15 of the top 20 highest-grossing films, both domestically and worldwide, are from 2015 onwards, with 18 of the top 20 highest-grossing films worldwide being from 2010 onwards (20 out of 20 if not for the two James Cameron mega-anomalies). It is indisputable that ticket price inflation (and market expansion for global grosses) far outstrips any declines in cinematic attendance in the mature markets, at least for the biggest blockbusters.

And if you're talking about post-pandemic to pre-pandemic, we've just had the unadjusted 3rd highest-grossing movie of all time domestically and the unadjusted 5th highest-grossing movie of all time domestically within the span of about 6 months, so I don't think there's any real argument that can be made — again, at least for the biggest blockbusters — that movies today are at a disadvantage in relation to their unadjusted grosses compared to pre-pandemic movies, or that they're on an equal footing. For the biggest blockbusters, the huge post-pandemic ticket price inflation simply outstrips any declines in general moviegoing attendance, which big blockbusters are largely insulated from, anyway.

To paraphrase you "this isn't a matter of opinion the lists of highest grossing films adjusted for inflation are heavily stacked to films released before 1980 if not earlier." 

I see where you are coming from but if I was a stickler for inflation adjusted grosses nothing in the last 30 years outside of Titanic, Avengers: Endgame, Avatar and The Force Awakens would have been impressive and even then they would have been way less impressive than they are. For example using only the original release of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs at $66.6m in todays numbers (according to an inflation calculator I found online so grain of salt) is $1.4B, The Force Awakens is $1.17B and Snow White isn't even the most impressive film from the era and made plenty more money on rereleases. None of this takes into account the change of market conditions in the 80 or so years between the 2 releases. 

There is probably a middle ground somewhere but adjusted for inflation isn't everything for me, if it is for you that's awesome don't let me try and change your mind :) 

7 hours ago, Nikostar said:

I have a feeling they are dropping the embargo two weeks before the movie like they did last one. The really must be confident and the movie quilty to move up the premiere 

6 hours ago, Nikostar said:

Ryan Coogler poured his heart into so it's no surprise of the embargo is dropped early.

Wait a minute.  Are you just speculating that the embargo is gonna drop early, or is it actually confirmed that it is being dropped early.  Coz a quick check doesn't turn up anything for me.

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Wait a minute.  Are you just speculating that the embargo is gonna drop early, or is it actually confirmed that it is being dropped early.  Coz a quick check doesn't turn up anything for me.

They are probably meaning reactions after the premiere. You can't really stop these. I don't know when the review embargo stops