aabattery

Weekend Thread | Asgard sneaks up on p.24 ~ H2018 28, ASIB 8.1, V 7.9 GB2 4.4,FM 3.7

1 minute ago, Boxofficerules said:

Even Jamie Lee Curtis is trashing Venom

https://twitter.com/jamieleecurtis/status/105369709

3 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Even Jamie Lee Curtis is trashing Venom

https://twitter.com/jamieleecurtis/status/1053697099563380737?s=21

9563380737?s=21

Why would he praise a movie that has a higher audience rating than his own? :Venom:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Awesome start for Halloween. I was decidedly unimpressed with Venom, so I'll definitely root hard for Halloween to claim the October opening record.

As for the First Man chatter further up the page, it kinda reminds me of Cinderella Man, but at an even lower performance level: well-reviewed Oscar bait with a recognizable lead and a story superficially similar to past adult-driven successes, but audiences just greeted it with a "meh" reaction and it had neither the opening nor staying power expected of it.

7 minutes ago, VENOM said:

Why would he praise a movie that has a higher audience rating than his own? :Venom:

I really doubt Jamie Lee Curtis checks the internet audience rating on rotten tomatoes 😂

50 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

But I thought R rated horror movies didn’t make the kind of money that PG-13 rated horror does.

Lol not again! Please stop with this. No one has said that for years.

It, Get Out, Halloween, The Nun, Annabelle Creation, The Conjuring 1 & 2, Paranormal Activity, Don’t Breathe, some of the biggest horrors of this decade, all rated R.

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I really doubt Jamie Lee Curtis checks the internet audience rating on rotten tomatoes 😂

Lol not again! Please stop with this. No one has said that for years.

It, Get Out, Halloween, The Nun, Annabelle Creation, The Conjuring 1 & 2, Paranormal Activity, Don’t Breathe, some of the biggest horrors of this decade, all rated R.

If I have to hear it over and over and over again, everyone else has to hear it over and over and over again.

Jamie Lee Curtis lost my respect with that tweet. It's one thing to say lets see if we can get the record but "vapid Venom"? really? Did he kick her puppy or something? Uncalled for. I don't recall the Venom cast&crew ever saying anything bad about Haloween or other movie for the matter. WB and ASIB cast didn't shit on Venom when ASIB was fighting for #1 with it. Gagabots are not official studio people so who cares.

Also, that sounds butthurt. She was irrelevant for decades (what was her last relevant movie, another Halloween or some bad Xmas comedy?) and now is back to relevancy thanks to 40 years old role. That gotta sting. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Oh look it’s jamie lee Kurtis on rotten tomatoes  :Venom:

Edited by VENOM
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

If I have to hear it over and over and over again, everyone else has to hear it over and over and over again.

Nobody says it again and again, at least now in 2018. Maybe in 2013, but not now.

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Jamie Lee Curtis lost my respect with that tweet. It's one thing to say lets see if we can get the record but "vapid Venom"? really? Did he kick her puppy or something? Uncalled for. I don't recall the Venom cast&crew ever saying anything bad about Haloween or other movie for the matter. WB and ASIB cast didn't shit on Venom when ASIB was fighting for #1 with it. Gagabots are not official studio people so who cares.

Issa joke

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm sorry but I find First Man's box office so fascinating. The critics are raving but the audience are shrugging and saying that it's okay. It will get Oscar noms but it will overall be seen as a bump in the road for the director. People can claim 3/3 all they want, First Man was set up to be a hit. Halloween will cover it. 

If you see the film you will understand why is not doing big numbers. It;s great but very inaccesible

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, B D Joe said:

RT score leans too white-male.

It is overwhelmingly white male.  

I don't think there's any RT effect with Halloween or First Man or Venom.  Halloween is getting praised by critics and audiences from what I've seen and I thought that if Halloween had a good sequel and delivered it in the month of October it could do very very well..   Right time and place for sure.  

Venom critics hated,  audiences obviously have enjoyed it.  It's making big money.  

First Man critics love it,  but nobody seems to care.    

I don't think RT means as much as we sometimes believe it does. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

doesn't matter. it doesn't sound good. like, why are so many people agitated that Venom's a success? 

It's obvious why people are bothered by Venom's success and I'm going to leave it at that.  We all know why people are bothered;  some have made it very obvious and outright stated why they wanted it to be bad. 

Too bad for them.  It's good and it's a success.  

• Like 3

It does feel like horror is in the best place it's been quality-wise in a long time and so the movies are getting rewarded as the result. IT 2 will make a killing later next year even if it doesn't approach the same numbers as the first while Blumhouse is gonna get more good news in the coming months with Glass (although I suppose that's more sci-fi/action than horror) and Happy Death Day 2U (which will probably make similar numbers as the first with the Valentine's Day gimmick replacing the Friday the 13th one). 

24 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

i feel like you have some kind of weird selective memory disorder where you read your own posts saying "but i thought r rated horror movies didn't make money!" and you think it's someone else and ya get annoyed and post it again coz... no one else is saying this.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

If you see the film you will understand why is not doing big numbers. It;s great but very inaccesible

I adore Drive but I knew that the audience wouldn't after seeing it opening weekend. Unless it's sci fi or unrealistic I don't care for Space movies. I'll be waiting for Blu Ray. My early 175mil prediction seems so hilarious now. To be fair I expected it to look more exciting.