WrathOfHan

Gladiator 2 | November 22, 2024 | DENZEL IS REUNITING WITH RIDLEY?!

Still curious how this is going to end given what happened to Caracella in the real history.

Spoiler

He was killed in a coup staged by his own generals who though he was leading the Empire to ruin. As it was, Caracella reign started what historians call 'The Crisis Of The Third Century" when the Roman Empire came very ,very, close to falling  two hundred years before it did fall.

I also see with the "Gladiator's Rebellion" angle, Scott will be paying his homage to Kubrick's  "Spartacus" still, IMHO< the best Roman Empire movie of them all.

Edited by dudalb

Just now, dudalb said:

This trailer was much better then the previous one, but the lack of Zimmer doing the score is a concern.

I agree, even if Zimmer was not avaiable, they should have used his themes as the base of the new score.

I still love that when we first see the Colliseum in "GLadiator" Zimmer goes full scale Richard Wagner for the scene.

Eh, Gregson-Williams is a great composer and and was a student of Zimmer’s. Also, Kingdom of Heaven overall has a better score than Gladiator

• Like 2

I legitimately find it very hard to believe that this many people organically and independently hated the trailer music that much. Either people are seeing comments and piling on because they feel that's the natural critique when doing a post, or there's some sort of active conservative coordination against it. But I'll say flat out I do not believe regular viewers including many on this board saw the trailer and thought "wow bad music" until they read the comments here and felt they were supposed to say that.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

I legitimately find it very hard to believe that this many people organically and independently hated the trailer music that much. Either people are seeing comments and piling on because they feel that's the natural critique when doing a post, or there's some sort of active conservative coordination against it. But I'll say flat out I do not believe regular viewers including many on this board saw the trailer and thought "wow bad music" until they read the comments here and felt they were supposed to say that.

Wouldn’t conservatives be more likely to like the song, given that it’s Kanye? Or do they hate him now? 

Just now, WittyUsername said:

Wouldn’t conservatives be more likely to like the song, given that it’s Kanye? Or do they hate him now? 

Ah yes, the old "rap is crap" crowd definitely is a liberal type.

Also, not a single word of Kanye in the portion of the song used.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

Never denied that conservatives have a long-standing stigma against rap. I just thought they were willing to make exceptions for the rappers who say what they want to hear. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Always a good time to listen to this classic

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I am predicting the attempts to turn this into Barbiehammer 2 will fail.

And as for the whole rap controversy, speaking for myself I would find Taylor Swift just as offputting in a trailer for a film on ancient Rome. Modern Pop music is just not a good fit for it.

Edited by dudalb

Cool Stat for Denzel.  This is the 7th Film between Denzel and the Scott Brothers (5 - Tony 2 - Ridley)

Crimson Tide

Man on Fire

Deja Vu

Talking Pelham 123

Unstoppable

American Gangster

Gladiator II

I've seen them all on the Big Screen.  So I will be there for this.  Denzel obviously had a longer relationship with Tony (Wonder in alternate reality what Tony Gladiator film would look like, probably really action packed).   But it's cool that Denzel has now done two Films with Ridley.   I find it funny Denzel never did sequels and now he's been in 3 in the last 6 years.   

Also Denzel and Russell have a lot of cool connections including "Virtuosity" and being in "American Gangster" while also fighting each other at the Oscar and Globes for like 3 years straight, lol.  I think one year Denzel won the Oscar, Russell on the Globe then Russell won the Oscar for "Gladiator" but Denzel won the Globe for "Hurricane".  It was a wild back and forth with those two.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I live in a very conservative area.  Only one of us ever talks about Kanye, and he is a very liberal conservative (big fan of Obama).  He never talked about him after the interview.  

All of us who care about movies have accepted that they are made by hardcore liberals years ago.  As long as they are not Disney we are fine with them.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Cool Stat for Denzel.  This is the 7th Film between Denzel and the Scott Brothers (5 - Tony 2 - Ridley)

Crimson Tide

Man on Fire

Deja Vu

Talking Pelham 123

Unstoppable

American Gangster

Gladiator II

I've seen them all on the Big Screen.  So I will be there for this.  Denzel obviously had a longer relationship with Tony (Wonder in alternate reality what Tony Gladiator film would look like, probably really action packed).   But it's cool that Denzel has now done two Films with Ridley.   I find it funny Denzel never did sequels and now he's been in 3 in the last 6 years.   

Also Denzel and Russell have a lot of cool connections including "Virtuosity" and being in "American Gangster" while also fighting each other at the Oscar and Globes for like 3 years straight, lol.  I think one year Denzel won the Oscar, Russell on the Globe then Russell won the Oscar for "Gladiator" but Denzel won the Globe for "Hurricane".  It was a wild back and forth with those two.  

Less said about Taking of Pelham the better, since it was no where near as good as the original film.

1 hour ago, Human said:

I live in a very conservative area.  Only one of us ever talks about Kanye, and he is a very liberal conservative (big fan of Obama).  He never talked about him after the interview.  

All of us who care about movies have accepted that they are made by hardcore liberals years ago.  As long as they are not Disney we are fine with them.

All the big stars are liberal. Of course most Hollywood movies will be liberal. What do people expect ? LOL

• Like 2

You know, I had a snarky comment about Kid Rock and the promotion for the first Gladiator film all lined up, but I decided to shelve it to address the larger point.

****ALMOST ALL MUSIC FOR SWORDS AND SANDALS MOVIES/SHOWS ARE ANACHRONISTIC****

Well, nearly all.  Some productions will use period-appropriate instruments in the actual score, but they're few and far between.  But even there it's still using musical movements and styles that are only 1,200 to 1,500 years out of place instead 1,700 to 2,000 years.

The sweeping "epic" orchestral sounds that most of the GA associates with these sorts of films?  Well I ain't a music expert but I know enough to know that at best we're talking no sooner than the 1650s and onwards, and quite likely (depending on the instruments and more importantly the style of the music) really looking at the 18th and 19th century (if not actual 20th and 21st century) contributions to the wiiiiiiiide genre that is colloquially known as Classical Music.

So in a way, it's kinda funny that people flip out about modern music that is nearly just as anachronistic as the sweeping epics we're used to.

Now I'm not stupid.  I know why people flip out.   Even setting aside the newness of the many genres that are modern music, we've been conditioned/become accustomed to this style of music being associated with historical epics.  And I'm also not stupid in that I know that the inclusion of rap just adds another dimension to folks looking to pile on and score cheap points in whatever Culture War Battles they feel like engaging in.  Like, duh, obviously that's a major contributing factor. 

At the same time, I do have some amount of sympathy.  Most of what we think of Classical Music is anywhere from 175 (Wagner) to 300+ years old (Bach).  That's pretty ancient (at least when we're getting to the Bach end of the scale)!  At a certain point the difference between 300 years and 1,300 years is meaningless.  It ain't new therefore it doesn't prick sensibilities.  It doesn't stand out.  It doesn't ruin the nebulous notion that is Suspension of Disbelief.

But.... c'mon now.  If one minor inclusion of one piece of fairly modern music in one flipping trailer is the difference between this movie succeeding or dying, then this movie was already on extremely shaky ground.  Enough so that literally anything else coming along would have tipped it over instead. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

Then again, to this day I remember the insane backlash to A Knight's Tale, so some people getting agitated (or more likely "agitated") over this is pretty much a tempest in a teapot. Forgotten about in relatively short order and ultimately mattering... Not. At. All.

This movie ain't gonna sink (or swim for that matter) because of this.  If it underperforms/fails, this will likely be faaaaaaaaaar down the list on the list of reasons why.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Sorry, but that's bullshit. Why the hell would I need to listen to other posters to formulate an opinion on a trailer? 

The music sucked. Shitty rap music does NOT fit in well with Gladiator. 

12 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Sorry, but that's bullshit. Why the hell would I need to listen to other posters to formulate an opinion on a trailer? 

The music sucked. Shitty rap music does NOT fit in well with Gladiator. 

The point is, and I touched upon this a bit myself, why it is *still* being discussed.  

it's pretty inconsequential when all is said and done.  Yet it's had, what, 10+ pages worth of discussion on this thread alone in the last day-and-a-half.

It's the amount of Discourse which seems... disproportionate.  Yes.  "Disproportinate" seems to be the right word here.

I don't deny that quite a few people felt it out of place.  I just spent a large post examining why.  At the same time, that people feel the need to keep commenting on it?   Making it be A Big Deal?  Yeah. See exactly why some people are "noting" that, for lack of a better term.

• Like 1

The question is...who cares enough to write mini essays about rap music in a sword and sandals trailer? 

Plenty of people thought it was a wasted opportunity for the first trailer for the film. Completely valid.

Edited by Noctis