sfran43

Weekend Thread ~ The Grinch 67m+ per DHD

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Venom's opening in China is the real story of the weekend. Good for Sony.

I think Dragon Tattoo is falling below A Star is Born when the final numbers are in.

Legs wise Venom needs to do what AIW did to get to $200 total in China. Going by how huge AIW was in bo numbers and hype, that it was a tri-quel and that Venom's Maoyan rating is higher, I think $210 should be achievable. So close to it's Dom which is looking at ~$215. Can't rule out Venom China > Dom as of yet.

Edited by a2k
  • Astonished 2

DHD

5th update, Sunday AM after Friday and Saturday updates: Refresh for chart and more analysis Yesterday, matinees drove Saturday business for the Dr. Seuss yuletide classic to an estimated $27.5M, +47% from Friday keeping The Grinch on track for a $66M opening per Universal.  That’s Illumination’s 7th No. 1 opening and Uni’s fourth No. 1 opening in the last eight weeks after The House With a Clock in its Walls, Night School and Halloween. 

Overseas, boosted by UK and Brazil, delivered $12.7M sending The Grinch to a $78.7M worldwide start. Other studios see The Grinch grabbing more green stateside with $67M. Universal is estimating today at $19.8M, -28% from Saturday.

However, with U.S. schools acknowledging Veterans Day tomorrow, business for the Mean One could near $70M.  ComScore reports that close to half of all K-12 schools will be off Monday, with 28% colleges on recess. The 3-day start for The Grinch is 22% higher than the 2000 live action Ron Howard-directed version at $55M. And though it’s not a whopper of an opening in the $100M Illumination The Secret Life of Pets and Minions sense of the word, The Grinch‘s 3-day is higher than the three-day of Despicable Me ($56.3M), Sing ($35.2M). Legs won’t be a problem during the holiday season. Howard’s Grinch did a 4.7 multiple and hit $260M. Sing boosted by year-end holiday business hit $270.3M.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/the-grinch-bohemian-rhapsody-weekend-box-office-1202498901/

17 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

BR is a behemoth worldwide!!:ohmygod:

Not too surprising really, Queen was always big globally. 

The UK total for ASIB is insane, surprising it didn’t do well in South Korea. Does it have any markets left? 

Edited by Jonwo

30 minutes ago, Chaz said:

It was the #2 movie of 1976. The soundtrack was also a smash. 5x platinum and a #1 single with “Evergreen,” which won Streisand her second Oscar.

Had the 45 - me & my best friend loved that song!

• Like 1