sfran43

Weekend Thread ~ The Grinch 67m+ per DHD

The grinch is such a fucking rip off amwhg does American audience like a gross rendition of Doctor Seuss Nobel????

i just hope eight grade tops it out for the box office so we don’t have to deal with a dumb Mobil crap at numbe r.w

Grinch is really blowing up as well at the theatre I worked at. If you don't count a few sold-out theatre rentals from Wednesday/Thursday and only count advertised showtimes, it's at their equivalent of 65.5M through Saturday (if you count them it is at 81.8M through Saturday). Even without, I'd say it has a shot at nearly 90M equivalent for the 3-day, and definitely over 100 for the 4-day. 

BR had a 25.7M second Saturday here (no joke) not down at all from last week. Will likely be a near-60M equivalent second weekend. 

Edited by DAJK

Deadline updated the Overlord & TGITSWADTS figures

Paramount’s Overlordwhich cost $38M before P&A, is currently edging out the other wide release R-rated offering, Sony/MGM/New Regency’s The Girl in the Spider Web$9.6M to $8.2M in their 4th and 5th ranked weekend openings.

Overlord is down from 10.1m to 9.6m & TGITSWADTS is down from 8.8m to 8.2m.

ASIB is also projected lower at 7.7m (-30%) for the weekend. It's great and it'll definitely achieve what I was hoping for during the weekend itself but I'm still holding out hope for a number closer to 7.85m for better trending w.r.t Gravity.

Edited by MaxAggressor

I really don’t like Rooney Mara. 

Ever since that intreview about Nightmare on Elm Street. Yeh the film wasn’t good, but she said she didn’t even want the part but auditioned and said “fuck I just got that role”. Yet it’s her biggest box office hit in America, aside from a bit part in the Social Network. Karma. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I really don’t like Rooney Mara. 

Ever since that intreview about Nightmare on Elm Street. Yeh the film wasn’t good, but she said she didn’t even want the part but auditioned and said “fuck I just got that role”. Yet it’s her biggest box office hit in America, aside from a bit part in the Social Network. Karma. 

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo says hi. (It lost Sony a couple millions but it was still her biggest film ever DOM.)

Edited by MCKillswitch123

Grinch RT aud score has gone from 81% to 71% in 2 days. Not that it will matter much as far as legs go - Smallfoot is at 68% aud score and will end close to 3.6x.

WIR1 had done 3.85x+ and BH6 did 3.95x+. I think 3.5x is a good target from Grinch, which gives 235+ dom with 67+ ow.

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo says hi. (It lost Sony a couple millions but it was still her biggest film ever DOM.)

I said hit. 

$102m on a $90m budget

or $63m on a $35m budget. 

Edited by Krissykins

3 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I loathe 2010's ANOES with a flaming passion. I don't care about that Rooney Mara story. It's shrug worthy to me. 

Yeh it’s not that she hates the film, it’s that she took a part that she didn’t want or need in the first place and thousands of other actresses probably would’ve killed for a role. 

22 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I said hit. 

$102m on a $90m budget

or $63m on a $35m budget. 

By that definition, 63M is not 2x 35M, so it's not a DOM hit either. And if you have a movie that grossed 102M vs one that grossed 63M, chances are that people will remember the 102M one better.

• ...wtf 1

55 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh it’s not that she hates the film, it’s that she took a part that she didn’t want or need in the first place and thousands of other actresses probably would’ve killed for a role. 

I highly doubt playing the lead role in a shitty Nightmare on Elm Street remake is something that thousands of other actresses would've killed for other than the same reasons she took it on (because it gave her a high profile acting credit and because she had bills to pay). She's also far from the first or last person to trash their crappy early career work.

41 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

By that definition, 63M is not 2x 35M, so it's not a DOM hit either. And if you have a movie that grossed 102M vs one that grossed 63M, chances are that people will remember the 102M one better.

I didn’t say anything about people remembering them. ANOES was a domestic success and Dragon was a high profile failure. 

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I highly doubt playing the lead role in a shitty Nightmare on Elm Street remake is something that thousands of other actresses would've killed for other than the same reasons she took it on (because it gave her a high profile acting credit and because she had bills to pay). She's also far from the first or last person to trash their crappy early career work.

She had bills to pay???! 😂

Do you know who her parents are??? :hahaha:

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I didn’t say anything about people remembering them. ANOES was a domestic success and Dragon was a high profile failure. 

What is your definition of domestic success, though? Beating its production budget? TGWTDT did that as well (unless you count the alleged 120M with participations included as the real production budget that Sony hid from the world, which is probably the right thing to do; and if that's your point, then point taken). Doubling it? Neither film did that, nevermind making a profit DOM alone. If anything, that would make Lion her biggest hit ever in America (51.7M DOM on a 12M budget). Beating it by a high margin? Lion did 4.3x its budget DOM alone, Nightmare didn't even make 2x. My original interpretation, when you said hit, was "her highest grossing film ever", which probably ends up being her most popular film ever by default as well, even if it wasn't particularly successful.

And also, Dragon Tattoo a high profile failure? I mean, yeah it was flop, it lost Sony around 11M according to the leaks, but that is hardly a huge flop by any means. To me, a high profile failure is something that lost at least around 50M, especially if it's more than that.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

Give me a break... so now an actress can't dislike a trash project just because there were other people who fought for the part? It's not like her Elm Street co-stars Jackie Earle Haley and Kyle Gallner have since become A-listers now thanks to the Elm Street remake. Even Mara's bit part in The Social Network is more iconic than the entire Elm Street movie.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1