sfran43

Weekend Thread ~ The Grinch 67m+ per DHD

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Even if FB2 slips domestically, it'll more than make up for it OS. 

I think you’re right. The first movie was released in China the week after its U.S. debut, the second movie will open in China and America on the same day. WB is planing(or hoping) for this film to do very well internationally.

9 minutes ago, clockwork said:

I think you’re right. The first movie was released in China the week after its U.S. debut, the second movie will open in China and America on the same day. WB is planing(or hoping) for this film to do very well internationally.

Unfortunately it is facing the second weekend of the superhero sensation of the year.

:Venom:

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Unfortunately it is facing the second weekend of the superhero sensation of the year.

Venom 2nd weekend should beat FB2 ow in China. Guessing Venom will drop 55-60% for 45-50 2nd weekend, great hold by China standards. Maoyan score is very high.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Leaning more towards...$60M-65M myself. Fantastic Beasts opened to $74M and that had considerably more hype. Just not feeling it here. We'll see.

Maybe you just didn’t lile the last one...and will probably hate this one even more because you just don’t feel it, heck...even not feeling to like it.

We had surprises last month with Venom & Halloween opening around $76-80M. And even now The Grinch opened with $66M.

Now we see why you don’t spend much time at BOT as we do.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

1 minute ago, GraceRandolph said:

Let's be real Venom would have done 1 billion if it was attached to the MCU. Kevin Feige would have made sure that it's a good movie + acclaimed which would have pushed it to 300 million domestically.  :Venom:

Let's be more serious. Venom would have done 2b if attached to James Cameron. Cameron had written a Spidey draft that never was and would have made a great Venom movie + invented brand new technology installed in theatres at gun point which would have pushed it to 600 million domestically. :Venom: :Venom:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The Grinch is off to a pretty strong start. It's obviously nowhere near as impressive as the Jim Carrey film's monster opening 18 years ago nor as high as The Lorax's 2012 breakout, but it's a big start in the face of all the baggage that has accompanied Dr. Seuss big screen adaptations. Even with Ralph Breaks the Internet right around the corner, it should prove durable in the coming weeks and make at least make a run at fellow Seuss Illumination adaptation Lorax's domestic total.

Bohemian Rhapsody held up way better than I was expecting. I don't want to get too bullish with all the competition coming up, but I could see it going over $175 million if it continues to hold up well.

Tepid start for Overlord, though it never looked like much more than a niche curiosity as far as its box office potential was concerned.

The Nutcracker got hit hard against The Grinch, but it should stabilize and get a boost from its holiday setting in the coming weeks. I'm still surprised that Disney really sunk $120 million into this one.

The Girl in the Spider's Web bombed, as expected. I love the American version of Dragon Tattoo, but a sequel always seemed like an idea that was destined to fail financially, especially after the studio announced moving forward with new players. To think that audiences would embrace a B-team sequel (based on a B-team book, no less) to a film that didn't perform up to its fullest potential seven years ago was folly.

A Star Is Born is still kicking ass and taking names. It's already over a 4.0 multiplier and should be able to surpass $200 million comfortably.

54 minutes ago, GraceRandolph said:

Let's be real Venom would have done 1 billion if it was attached to the MCU. Kevin Feige would have made sure that it's a good movie + acclaimed which would have pushed it to 300 million domestically.  :Venom:

but it already had good WOM so there's not much more they could have done.

If Grinch does "only" 220 dom and 205 os for 425 ww, the theatrical returns will be approx 190+. The prod budget is a paltry 75 and the movie will eat well into it's global marketing & release costs before non-theatrical revenue comes in.

18 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

If Venom was under the MCU banner, same movie,  it would have probably around 80% on RT but box office wise I don't think it'd be doing much more than it is now..

It would have made as much but cost $100M more ($80M for RDJ cameo, $20M for critics).

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, a2k said:

If Grinch does "only" 220 dom and 205 os for 425 ww, the theatrical returns will be approx 190+. The prod budget is a paltry 75 and the movie will eat well into it's global marketing & release costs before non-theatrical revenue comes in.

I expect the OS total will be closer to $250m. Universal would be pleased with $500-550m WW total even if it's lower than both SLOP and Sing.