sfran43

Weekend Thread ~ The Grinch 67m+ per DHD

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

what? i feel the contrary. she's in no way suited for rom coms. lacks charm and charisma.  she's made for drama

Watch the opening scene of Social Network. She definitely has the charm needed, more Sandra Bullock than Julia Roberts for sure though.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Nova said:

Hmm I live in the Philly area and I drove on the main highway in the area and there were literally 6 different billboards for Creed II. Then again thats expected given the location BUT to be honest I wouldn't be shocked at a $35-$40M OW for it. Seems to be building buzz at the right time. 

Not sure where Widows is gonna land but I hope it's a slay for Queen Viola. 

Fantastic Beast will prob still do really well despite it getting meh reviews but I'm hoping for a Widows breakout against it. 

I hope Creed II cracks 40M for its 3-day opening. It has the buzz and the pedigree for it, and it will likely be a crowdpleaser. And in Thanksgiving time, the more box office hits, the merrier.

As far as Widows goes, it doesn't seem to be tracking to huge heights, but maybe it can have some last minute walk-up and/or wom-driven fuel. It'll likely have killer legs either way. Instant Family is the one that would not surprise me if it hit Daddy's Home 2-esque numbers... maybe higher if it follows Wonder's grass-roots style of appeal. Green Book is apparently a crowdpleaser too, but I don't know if that one is commercial enough to breakout to 100M DOM, though who knows, anything could happen.

Beasts 2 will probably play like a Potter sequel given how fan-servicey it seems to be. I think it opens more or less around where the 1st one opened to, maybe a little under, and makes just O/U 200M DOM and around 750M WW. Still very successful, all things considered, but probably "low" enough to make WB reconsider hiring David Yates again for the third one (I don't mind him, and he's done some of the best Potter movies - the two Deathly Hallows movies, especifically - but Potter needs someone fresh to craft these movies as Yates has done the last fucking six). But then again, JK Rowling herself is probably part of the issue too if we consider that she writes the scripts for these films.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Nova said:

Hmm I live in the Philly area and I drove on the main highway in the area and there were literally 6 different billboards for Creed II. Then again thats expected given the location BUT to be honest I wouldn't be shocked at a $35-$40M OW for it. Seems to be building buzz at the right time. 

Not sure where Widows is gonna land but I hope it's a slay for Queen Viola. 

Fantastic Beast will prob still do really well despite it getting meh reviews but I'm hoping for a Widows breakout against it. 

Deadline had Creed 2 tracking for a $48M 5-Day a couple weeks ago, which would make it the biggest Thanksgiving opening for a live-action movie since Four Christmases

If it doesn't do that, BOT needs to just shut down tbh

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 1

I think Ralph Breaks the Internet and Creed II will combine for $110M+ for the 5-day frame. Green Book should do solid but will likely be more of a Fences type of a grosser than a Hidden Figures. Robin Hood will flop of course but will probably do something like $15M for the 5-day.

7 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Ehh, it had a little too much annoying Jim Carrey for my tastes.

Fair enough different strokes for different folks. I personally find it to be (ironically with manic Carrey) the most true to the books and it’s a good film.

How does the Grinch rank with other Illumination films?

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Fair enough different strokes for different folks. I personally find it to be (ironically with manic Carrey) the most true to the books and it’s a good film.

How does the Grinch rank with other Illumination films?

Well I haven't seen the whole filmography, but I guess it's in the middle. It's a lot better than Lorax but worse than DM1. So it's on the same league of DM2 where it's cute enough and has a few good things to like, but still kinda forgettable. Take that for what it's worth.

• Like 1

It's still kinda crazy to think that the Jim Carrey Grinch had one of the biggest openings ever back in the day (and nearly stayed flat in its second weekend). And it did so against a fairly strong opening for the second Rugrats movie, no less. As impressive as this Grinch's opening is, it can't hold a candle to just how monstrous the 2000 one was.

• Founder / Operator
19 hours ago, filmlover said:

I don't disagree about the opening (which is where I have it landing) but the total? Has there been strong buzz about the movie? Felt like an obvious $50-60M grosser to me given how much is out right now. Although I guess it helps that the competition isn't looking to be that strong (especially going up against a Fantastic Beasts 2 that's looking to have even narrower interest than its predecessor and a Wreck-It Ralph sequel that's arriving with less buzz than the original did).

Yeah, test screenings have been pretty strong from what I've heard (although I haven't seen the movie personally). I think it's the kind of family movie that will cross over between parents and tweens/teens in a way similar to Daddy's Home, except with the legs of an original movie playing through 6-7+ weeks of the holiday season instead of opening right at Christmas. Similar to Wonder and The Blind Side, especially since there's not a lot of direct, non-animated competition that crowd in the first month.

This is one of those movies that drove our reasoning to change those fields in the long range reports: opening weekends are "tracked", whereas total grosses are more of a prediction because it's based on fewer data-driven statistics (especially for original movies).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Webslinger said:

It's still kinda crazy to think that the Jim Carrey Grinch had one of the biggest openings ever back in the day (and nearly stayed flat in its second weekend). And it did so against a fairly strong opening for the second Rugrats movie, no less. As impressive as this Grinch's opening is, it can't hold a candle to just how monstrous the 2000 one was.

Even though I was only 9 at the time of the 2000 film, I still remember it being a phenomenon. This new film is doing very, very well, but definitely not on the same level. Especially if you adjust for inflation. I imagine this new film will get to 225m or so from it's ow. Definitely great.

Bohemian Rhapsody opened to their equivalent of 71M at the theatre I used to work at. After 9 days it’s at like around 160 or so

I went in and worked for a few hours today (they gave me a set of free passes to use in Victoria) and there was huge applause when BR ended

• Like 3