Eric Duncan

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse l June 2 2023 | Animators deserve better

Why isn't anyone talking about this? 

FHT0BAAVUBwrvRV?format=jpg&name=medium

Could 300M+ DOM be a possibility post NWH?

Also on a sidenote, are we overpredicting Multiverse of Madness? Surprised to see Love and Thunder that high, but then again, GA are probably still viewing them as a Thor film vs. a Doctor Strange film.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2022 at 2:06 AM, Spidey Freak said:

Why isn't anyone talking about this? 

FHT0BAAVUBwrvRV?format=jpg&name=medium

Could 300M+ DOM be a possibility post NWH?

Also on a sidenote, are we overpredicting Multiverse of Madness? Surprised to see Love and Thunder that high, but then again, GA are probably still viewing them as a Thor film vs. a Doctor Strange film.

I mean, it's theoretically possible but I definitely wouldn't bet on it. Personally, I'm thinking ITSV +/- 10%. 

As for MOM, I wouldn't put too much stock into these lists as an indication of box office potential. ATSV could very well be the lowest grossing film of those 10 (domestically), but it's 2nd on this list. 

Considering that Sony has already committed to making more adult-oriented animated films, that Into The Spider-Verse itself was somewhat darker than an average PG-rated movie of its time, and that live-action superhero movies are typically PG-13, is it possible that Across The Spider-Verse might be PG-13?

15 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

Considering that Sony has already committed to making more adult-oriented animated films, that Into The Spider-Verse itself was somewhat darker than an average PG-rated movie of its time, and that live-action superhero movies are typically PG-13, is it possible that Across The Spider-Verse might be PG-13?

I'd be pretty surprised by that. Film series don't typically (i.e almost never) shift ratings. 

Not always. Alien vs. Predator was PG-13 while Alien vs. Predator: Requiem was R. The first four Harry Potter movies were all PG, and the last four were PG-13. Scary Movie and its sequel are rated R (hard Rs at that), but 3 and 4 are PG-13. So it does happen. 

Edited by El Squibbonator

29 minutes ago, El Squibbonator said:

Not always. Alien vs. Predator was PG-13 while Alien vs. Predator: Requiem was R. The first four Harry Potter movies were all PG, and the last four were PG-13Scary Movie and its sequel are rated R (hard Rs at that), but 3 and 4 are PG-13. So it does happen. 

Shockingly, Half Blood Prince was also PG.

1 hour ago, El Squibbonator said:

Not always. Alien vs. Predator was PG-13 while Alien vs. Predator: Requiem was R. The first four Harry Potter movies were all PG, and the last four were PG-13. Scary Movie and its sequel are rated R (hard Rs at that), but 3 and 4 are PG-13. So it does happen. 

Goblet of Fire was PG-13. For some reason, Half-Blood Prince was rated PG while everywhere else around the world it had the equivalent of a PG-13 rating.

I can’t really think of any reason why Across the Spider-Verse would need to be PG13, the first film managed to feature adult themes while still being kid friendly. The worst thing they could do with something as bright and colourful as Spider-Verse is to go darker with it. It’ll be fine as a PG.

On 1/8/2022 at 7:45 PM, SnokesLegs said:

I can’t really think of any reason why Across the Spider-Verse would need to be PG13, the first film managed to feature adult themes while still being kid friendly. The worst thing they could do with something as bright and colourful as Spider-Verse is to go darker with it. It’ll be fine as a PG.

I was sort of picturing the sequel doing something more in line with the tone and themes of live-action Marvel Cinematic Universe movies-- which, while rated PG-13, are nevertheless widely viewed by children and families. 

The MPAA are pretty chill with violence and dark themes if its animated. Unless there is graphic injury detail or something like that, its gonna take a sex scene or foul language to get a PG-13, which, yeah, I don't think so. Off the top of my head, the only animated movies I can recall getting a PG-13 is Watership Down which is basically a graphic and traumatizing R Rated horror film disguised as an animated family film, and The Simpsons Movie which I daresay would have gotten a PG rating if it weren't for the penis. 

2 hours ago, Fanboy said:

The MPAA are pretty chill with violence and dark themes if its animated. Unless there is graphic injury detail or something like that, its gonna take a sex scene or foul language to get a PG-13, which, yeah, I don't think so. Off the top of my head, the only animated movies I can recall getting a PG-13 is Watership Down which is basically a graphic and traumatizing R Rated horror film disguised as an animated family film, and The Simpsons Movie which I daresay would have gotten a PG rating if it weren't for the penis. 

9 is PG-13, but that movie bombed. I can’t think of any reason why this movie would require the rating to be bumped up.