Eric Duncan

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse l June 2 2023 | Animators deserve better

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Black Adam should move to that October 7 ASAP to give it more space between Black Panther.

This seems likely to happen now. It's free real estate since Halloween can't move up without killing it's box office which is so dependent on playing through October 31.

Sony must need some heavy hitters in 2023, hence this move. This is their schedule for the rest of the year:

July 15: Where the Crawdads Sing

July 29: Bullet Train

August 26: The Bride

September 16: The Woman King

October 7: Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile

December 21: I Wanna Dance With Somebody

December 25: A Man Called Otto

Just now, Seth Irskens said:

What Happened? Why? It's certainly not covid related....

Likely a combination of not wanting to get sandwiched between Black Adam and Black Panther 2 and animation/VFX crunch. It now has to deal with the same 5-year gap that killed the second Lego Movie, so its financial prospects have dimmed significantly. Still, leaning heavily into the Marvel brand akin to Morbius should help quite a bit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I didn't think it would win regardless but the Animated Feature Oscar clears up a bit. Turning Red should win unless Lightyear is a major hit.

Disney Animation also has Strange World for Thanksgiving so Animated Feature is likely going to be 3/5 Disney Domination two years in a row unless there's some surprises.

10 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Likely a combination of not wanting to get sandwiched between Black Adam and Black Panther 2 and animation/VFX crunch. It now has to deal with the same 5-year gap that killed the second Lego Movie, so its financial prospects have dimmed significantly. Still, leaning heavily into the Marvel brand akin to Morbius should help quite a bit.

tbh if we hear nothing of it next week, I will doubt that BP2 is even coming out this year. They know more than I do obvs but waiting a week to see what Disney does regarding it would be smart.