filmlover

SAG 2018 thread

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I keep forgetting that movie still hasn’t come and gone yet.

Since I seem to get the trailer every time I go to the movies, I'm always reminded that Alita does not stand idly in the presence of evil.

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

blunt is gonna win best actress. duh. if she gets two nominations at the oscars it'll be easy peasy. 

I hope so! Banner year, versatile actress who was due for a nom, peaking at the right time. make it so!

@titanic2187 she was always dead except to Awards Watch. they like to stick for dead causes to bitter end (that little girl from that Florida movie, that little boy from that Idris Elba boy soldier movie, that Hungarian guy from that Holocaust movie...and Joy :lol:). 

Edited by Valonqar

Waltz is the only recent nominee to win an Oscar without a SAG, but I still feel pretty good about King because....who is beating her? Neither of the Favourite women have jumped ahead of the other, and Adams is in a divisive movie that I don't think is quite a lock for major nominations. Not gonna be Foy, Robbie, or Blunt. Honestly if Boy Erased hadn't come and gone so fast I could even see Kidman being her primary challenger, but everyone forgot about that movie before it even dropped.

Edited by Cmasterclay

3 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Sois yalita in roma dead for oscar now?

yeah for sure. the critics aren't even here for her like i thought they'd be. nevermind best actress they're not even giving her breakthrough actress awards those are all going to the eighth grade kid and lady gaga.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Luckily voting ends before Alita comes out to sink Ali's chances :Gaga:

I think the presence of Mahershala Ali in the film, so soon after a second Oscar nomination, might put some more eyes on that film. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but prestigious talent can never hurt a film outright.

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

yeah for sure. the critics aren't even here for her like i thought they'd be. nevermind best actress they're not even giving her breakthrough actress awards those are all going to the eighth grade kid and lady gaga.

It’s silly Gaga is up for those awards. This isn’t even her first acting gig that wasn’t a cameo appearance as herself (hello, that mediocre season of American Horror Story that Ryan Murphy probably only came up with just to showcase her in glamorous outfits)! Guess the “hey, a pop star who can actually act for once!” narrative has really taken over.

Also as happy as I am that Crazy Rich Asians got recognized for Ensemble (Awkwafina was so happy announcing it too) the fact they included Harry Shum Jr. for a 30-second non-speaking cameo in the end credits is absurd.

Edited by filmlover

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also as happy as I am that Crazy Rich Asians got recognized for Ensemble (Awkwafina was so happy announcing it too) the fact they included Harry Shum Jr. for a 30-second non-speaking cameo in the end credits is absurd.

they include everyone who gets single card billing in ensemble nominations. that's how it works. 

These nominations are definitely trash, especially no Regina King?  What?

And can we talk about how SAG only nominated two people of color, when ~40%+ of the population is not white?  Hollywood evidently still has a diversity problem.

And they really don’t have an excuse this year, they had quality options from other nominated movies like:

REGINA KING

Viola Davis

MBJ

Lin-Manuel Miranda

Michelle Yeoh

Yalitza Aparicio

Daniel Kaluuya

Kiki Layne

Marina de Tavira

Amandla Sternberg

Stephan James

Daveed Diggs

Lakeith Stanfield

Regina Hall

And so on.

All of these options and they nominate the same white girl in two categories (not saying Emily Blunt wasn’t good in AQP but really over King?), Margot Robbie in a flopping period piece, Timothee Chalamet for another awards bait flop, and Glenn Close in a movie that doesn’t even exist.  Yikes.

I get they nominated three movies with diverse casts.  Doesn’t change the fact that when it comes to recognizing actors specifically they still go for the white people in awards bait flops over people like REGINA KING

Edited by PANDA

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

Can someone explain to me how Emmanuelle Riva pulled a huge surprise in 2013 oscar?

She was absent in both golden globe and SGA and suddenly appeared in oscar 

i think the oscars are more receptive to some arthouse movie performances than globes/sag. which is why you get the occasional surprise like that. marion cotillard in two days one night is another one. this is why i still think hawke gets an oscar nomination. again though all these performances were winning critics awards so they had some momentum that yalitza doesn't have.

14 minutes ago, PANDA said:

These nominations are definitely trash, especially no Regina King?  What?

And can we talk about how SAG only nominated two people of color, when ~40%+ of the population is not white?  Hollywood evidently still has a diversity problem.

And they really don’t have an excuse this year, they had quality options from other nominated movies like:

REGINA KING

Viola Davis

MBJ

Lin-Manuel Miranda

Michelle Yeoh

Yalitza Aparicio

Daniel Kaluuya

Kiki Layne

Marina de Tavira

Amandla Sternberg

Stephan James

Daveed Diggs

Lakeith Stanfield

Regina Hall

And so on.

All of these options and they nominate the same white girl in two categories (not saying Emily Blunt wasn’t good in AQP but really over King?), Margot Robbie in a flopping period piece, Timothee Chalamet for another awards bait flop, and Glenn Close in a movie that doesn’t even exist.  Yikes.

I get they nominated three movies with diverse casts.  Doesn’t change the fact that when it comes to recognizing actors specifically they still go for the white people in awards bait flops over people like REGINA KING

Counter-Point:

As far as the Acamedy Awards, any amount of POC actors in the lineup should be considered progress when compared to 2014 and 2015, when the categories were all white. With the addition of Regina King, that'll be 20% of the actor pool comprised of non-white actors with JDW, Ali, and Rami Malek (who can be argued to lean more Middle-Eastern-American).

You're right in saying that the people you listed deserve nominations. However, a lot of people deserve nominatioms, especially in a competitive year such as this. And many things other than people's races affect a film's chances of getting recognition, such as a film's failure to resonate with the general audience. So many films have failed thus far--films starring all sorts of actors--that the race has been extremely jambled, and people are getting left behind in the race.

But through impatience, you're forgetting that it's a sinch by the inch. Proper represention takes time to manifest. 2016 was a great year for representation; 2017 was good, too. And even if the awards don't bite for the representation they've had in the past two years, it's still been beautiful to see the amount of films that are starring actors of all kinds--not just films that need certain actors to fulfill stereotypes. Heck, Keirsey Clemmons doesn't need an Oscar for Hearts Beat Loud to make her performance as significant as it is, and she won't need one for the Sundance-premiering desert island survival film she'll be starring in, either.

Speaking of that: just think of all the roles that POCs will be getting in the future! POC directors are taking action by stepping up to the plate! It almost doesn't matter what happens this year, because the next few years, for diversity in film, look brighter than ever!

I'll end with my personal viewpoint: while a diverse set of noms is always nice to see, I would rather have an Awards body that prioritizes excellent in acting over nominating people just because of the color of their skin, even if it means they'll have unintentional oversights regarding the important-but-less-pressing-as-something-like-world-hunger issue of representation from time to time.

Nothing you said was necessarily wrong, though.

7 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Waltz is the only recent nominee to win an Oscar without a SAG, but I still feel pretty good about King because....who is beating her? Neither of the Favourite women have jumped ahead of the other, and Adams is in a divisive movie that I don't think is quite a lock for major nominations. Not gonna be Foy, Robbie, or Blunt. Honestly if Boy Erased hadn't come and gone so fast I could even see Kidman being her primary challenger, but everyone forgot about that movie before it even dropped.

Agreed. I could maybe hold out hope that the film didn’t screen for them but since it played at TIFF all the way back in September it doesn’t seem that likely.

I’m not sure how Vice will play out, but unless the hype for Adams intensifies, I can’t see her winning.