AniNate

The Good Dinosaur | Peter Sohn | BR/DVD release 2-23-2016 | Pixar's first BO flop

Can you say "The Good Dinosaur" as fast as you can say "bomb"?

Sold less tickets today than for Spectre. 2nd day of release, a Saturday... not as high grossing as a film which is going into its sixth week of release.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Okay what was up with the scene where 

Reveal hidden contents

Did no one else notice/pay attention to that. I felt like I was watching SpongeBob 2 over again.

Spoiler

You mean when they ate some fruit that caused them to become high and hallucinate?

• Like 1

Sorry to do this, but feel the need to do updated Pixar rankings/grades since I actually haven't done them in awhile and I've re-watched a lot of their films this year:

1. Toy Story 3: A+

2. Wall-E: A+

3. Finding Nemo: A+

4. Up: A+

5. The Incredibles: A+

6. Toy Story 2: A+

7. Toy Story: A+

8. Ratatouille: A+

9. Inside Out: A-

10. The Good Dinosaur: A-

11. Monsters Inc: A-

12. Brave: B-

13. Monsters University: B-

14. A Bug's Life: B- 

15. Cars: B-

16. Cars 2: D+

2 hours ago, treeroy said:

Can you say "The Good Dinosaur" as fast as you can say "bomb"?

Sold less tickets today than for Spectre. 2nd day of release, a Saturday... not as high grossing as a film which is going into its sixth week of release.

I'm curious as to how TGD has been performing at our theatre. I'm working in 45 minutes I'll be able to say then.

Thanksgiving is not a easy release date for an animated movie at all, the movie still needs to open high enough to avoid the theater drops during Christmas weekend.

I think it might even be harder for that animated movie compared to Sumner, because Summer means a better chance for huge opening. Just compared Frozen to Inside Out, both did very well in different ways and both had massive competition with Catching Fire and Jurassic World.

59 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

So TGD and Tangled are in the same situation, both are redone movies with a high budget?

Did Tangled ever make a profit with that massive 260m budget?

I think Tangled eventually was profitable but I think for Disney it was the film that got their mojo back and proved that WDAS could still produce successful films. Keep in mind, Rapunzel had been in development as a film since Walt was alive and many times the project was aborted so I suspect the costs was bunged onto Tangled.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I think Tangled eventually was profitable but I think for Disney it was the film that got their mojo back and proved that WDAS could still produce successful films. Keep in mind, Rapunzel had been in development as a film since Walt was alive and many times the project was aborted so I suspect the costs was bunged onto Tangled.

Yup, I'd say it's The Little Mermaid of the this new WDAS Revival (interestingly, TLM was another movie in development at the studio since Walt's time). Also, if the Frozen sisters are counted as their own brand, then Rapunzel is still the character generating the second highest merchandising revenue just after Cinderella for the Disney Princess brand. Disney continues to make big $$ from the Tangled IP thanks to Rapunzel products and before Frozen, Rapunzel and Finn were the most popular meet and greet characters at all the amusement parks. Disney wants to keep the Tangled brand in the public eye so they have greenlit the upcoming 2D tv show.

Bolt: Great Mouse Detective

PatF: Oliver and Company

Tangled: TLM

Wreck-It Ralph: Rescuerers Down Under (but financially successful; the flop part is attributed to Winnie the Pooh)

Frozen: Beauty and the Beast

Big Hero 6: Aladdin

The comparisons are eerie, and "Zootopia" doesn't align itself as a Lion King-sized hit or epic so maybe this is when WDAS starts going away from the similarities a bit. (tho Zootopia will no doubt be a big hit IMO)

Edited by goldenstate5

38 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Zootopia is just three months away and there is not much hype for it of all. It kind of reminds me of what happened with TGD.

Once Disney's marketing moves on after Star Wars' release date, they have nothing noteworthy until Zootopia (The Finest Hours is hardly noteworthy, maybe a mid-range success at most). Hell, IO marketing was pretty subdued before AoU/Tomorrowland release. Zootopia will be fine, especially with the new trailer having strong reception.

We'll probably get a new trailer with Norm/Panda at the latest that reveals more of the plot, but a trailer during the holidays wouldn't surprise me.

1 hour ago, Spaghetti said:

Once Disney's marketing moves on after Star Wars' release date, they have nothing noteworthy until Zootopia (The Finest Hours is hardly noteworthy, maybe a mid-range success at most). Hell, IO marketing was pretty subdued before AoU/Tomorrowland release. Zootopia will be fine, especially with the new trailer having strong reception.

We'll probably get a new trailer with Norm/Panda at the latest that reveals more of the plot, but a trailer during the holidays wouldn't surprise me.

This, the last months of promotion are the most important, there is still tie for Zootopia.

2 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

Zootopia is just three months away and there is not much hype for it of all. It kind of reminds me of what happened with TGD.

Then you don't visit social networks much. After the new trailer it's freaking everywhere. People love it and the hype is definitely there. When Disney starts their usual heavy promotion closer to the release, it's gonna be a smash hit guaranteed. In fact, it has all the potential to be their next big thing.

• Like 1