Seto Kaiba

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 | July 12 2023 | 99% on Rotten Tomatoes! | 290M budget so far, Cruise holding Paramount hostage for more money

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think the performance of the film will affect Dead Reckoning Part 2 in any way. I would imagine because Cruise holds all the cards, Paramount probably can't do anything to the production. 

No one’s gonna say NO to Cruise. 

15 hours ago, redfirebird2008 said:

But Paramount had to know about Nolan's contract with IMAX. Paramount spent 2+ years helping Nolan develop and release Interstellar in IMAX. Did they really think IMAX was going to abandon Nolan? His release date for Oppenheimer was setup long before Paramount chose July 12 for Mission. 

Irony is that imho MI 7 seems it would benefit a lot more from being shown on a IMAX screen then Oppenheimer would.

Why would they reshoot part 2 if reception of part 1 is great. Release date is terrible, but I assume Paramount simply didn't expect something as silly as Barbie movie with a double dose of box office poison to become such a juggernount and maybe they didn't think 3 hour drama about scientist, even from Nolan, is a threat. But this fatal miscalculation is gonna cost them dearly (see what I did here?)

Edited by TomThomas

So far this week I've watched M:I 1, 2 and last night 3.

3 was better than I remembered, at least while watching it, but come today, and I've already forgotten I even watched it. Meanwhile I've been blasting the M:I-2 soundtrack all day at work today...

So far, it's 2 > 3 > 1. About to watch Ghost Protocol.... now they start getting good. Lets see if it holds up.

And Thandie Newton > Emmanuelle Beart > Michelle Monawho?

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

20 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Irony is that imho MI 7 seems it would benefit a lot more from being shown on a IMAX screen then Oppenheimer would.

Why do you say that? Oppenheimer was literally filmed with IMAX cameras... the IMAX is part of the appeal and a big part of the marketing of Oppenheimer. It's not for Mission Impossible.

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

Why do you say that? Oppenheimer was literally filmed with IMAX cameras... the IMAX is part of the appeal and a big part of the marketing of Oppenheimer. It's not for Mission Impossible.

My point is that MI 7 has lots of large scale spectacular action scenes; Oppenheimer (which, btw, is my most anticpated movie) really does not have any visually spectacular scenes except for the Trinity test.

I know IMAX is a big part of the marketing for Oppenheimer, but still puzlled why the emphasis except to put fannies in the seats.

It is basically ai intimate drama, and I suspect many expecting lots of eye candy because it is in IMAX are gong to be dissapointed.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

My point is that MI 7 has lots of large scale spectacular action scenes; Oppenheimer (which, btw, is my most anticpated movie) really does not have any visually spectacular scenes except for the Trinity test.

I know IMAX is a big part of the marketing for Oppenheimer, but still puzlled why the emphasis except to put fannies in the seats.

It is basically ai intimate drama, and I suspect many expecting lots of eye candy because it is in IMAX are gong to be dissapointed.

The IMAX photography is still gorgeous. And they are using black and white IMAX footage for the first time ever.

I just watched MI7 on a good size regular screen. It was a very good experience. From what I understand they didn’t use any special cameras, which is strange given the history of the Mission Impossible franchise using IMAX cameras. 

3 hours ago, Noctis said:

Absolutely fucking adored this. Cruise, Atwell, and Kirby are fantastic. Just such a fun adventure film that feels too rare these days. 

THE. TRAIN. SET. PIECE.

A

And my God that man can run!

2 hours ago, RichWS said:

Surprised how mixed I feel. There's a lot I love and a lot I don't. Definitely the weakest since 3. It'll probably improve with rewatch, but some of the choices didn't land well.

Yeah feel the same. Cruise and Mcquarrie's genius shine through in so many places but I think the editing done to shorten the film from the initial 3.5 hours it test screened at to under 3 hours made some of the scenes feel a bit rushed 

Why does it feel like the universe thinks TG maverick was too successful last year so a balancing out had  to happen so Mission suffers. Barbenheimer is one thing. But a a movie that sat on the shelf for 5 years comes out nowhere and steals another chunk of the audience. it's nuts. 

I watched Ghost Protocol last night and WOW! i do NOT remember the Burj Kalifa scene being that breathtaking. I literally gasped and shrieked.

The gadgets are super cool, I especially found the projector scene in the Kremlin good fun, and exactly the right tone of this franchise - fun, but still tense enough to have you slightly on edge.

The third act is definitely a let down though and the villain was very bland and non-threatening.

Now, my ranking is 4 > 2 > 3 > 1

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I watched Ghost Protocol last night and WOW! i do NOT remember the Burj Kalifa scene being that breathtaking. I literally gasped and shrieked.

The gadgets are super cool, I especially found the projector scene in the Kremlin good fun, and exactly the right tone of this franchise - fun, but still tense enough to have you slightly on edge.

The third act is definitely a let down though and the villain was very bland and non-threatening.

Now, my ranking is 4 > 2 > 3 > 1

My man!